Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lucy Buckingham hit my (BY!!) a car in Bahrain
Quote | Reply
I expected to see more about this on the forum. Or is it something we are so used to it doesn't warrent comment anymore?

For my part, I find it amazing and (still) shocking that Ironman seems to find ways for athletes to be hit by vehicles on a closed course.

Unless I am missing something here?
Last edited by: Pmswanepoel: Dec 11, 23 0:56
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my a car in Bahrain [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
I expected to see more about this on the forum. Or is it something we are so used to it doesn't warrent comment anymore?

For my part, I find it amazing and (still) shocking that Ironman seems to find ways for athletes to be hit by vehicles on a closed course.

Well if the thread title is anything to go by maybe you shouldn't have been driving so close....

"Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my a car in Bahrain [Pmswanepoel]"

Seriously though,here is the story ..
Lucy Buckingham OK after being hit by car while leading 70.3 Bahrain - Triathlon Magazine Canada

“Lucy believe(s) and thinks a car might have collided with another car making it swerve into the cones and Lucy ending up on the bonnet of the car,” De Wolf continued. “All in all Lucy was very lucky to end up on the bonnet and was able to continue. Her hip was very sore and she ended up struggling in the run. She had it checked out in the hospital and no major damage, luckily. The organisation has been very helpful in assisting Lucy and finding out what caused the accident.”
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 11, 23 0:55
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my a car in Bahrain [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha.... apologies! That is hilarious. I must pay more attention :-)

ThailandUltras wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

Well if the thread title is anything to go by maybe you shouldn't have been driving so close....

"Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my a car in Bahrain [Pmswanepoel]"

Seriously though,here is the story ..
Lucy Buckingham OK after being hit by car while leading 70.3 Bahrain - Triathlon Magazine Canada
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my (BY!!) a car in Bahrain [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw this update on instagram and was mostly glad she was able to race on.

i also find myself wondering about things like insurance: going and getting a battery of scans is important for her, and expensive - who pays for that? will her premiums go up as a result? and what about lost income (at the race itself) and opportunity cost (during recovery)?

i wonder if PTO or IM or someone have a fund for things like this. athlete gets hit during your own event and incurs costs ... who's on the hook?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my (BY!!) a car in Bahrain [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming U.S.

1.) Your insurance covers first. Then the insurance of the NGB covers next as supplemental / winds up covering the out of pocket to hit your deductible. (Note: it takes FOREVER to get that money.)

2.) in this case, you’d first be using your car insurance policy. Then your health policy. And then you’d get to the NGB policy.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Buckingham hit my (BY!!) a car in Bahrain [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't she British ?
Last edited by: strangename: Dec 11, 23 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't disclose too much info here as it's still a pending case, but I was hit during a race last summer. The race is safe as you signed your waiver to race...the police directing traffic are nearly invincible. From what I've gathered, the only shot is to get money from the insurance of the car the rider comes in contact with.

As some have said...bills get paid by your own auto insurance to a limit, then your own health insurance. Then maybe it's paid back plus some additional by a guilty party depending on the lawsuit outcome. No one "wins"

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Last edited by: DKMNTRI: Dec 11, 23 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case and one another I know about, as Americans racing at IM Canada in Penticton the process and experience post-accident wound up depending in part on the provider of the driver's car insurance and maybe where the driver lived.

I was hit in Oliver, B.C. about 28 miles into the bike leg (funny the details you remember, even 16 years later), in front of a large crowd that happened to include a doctor, and police directing traffic. I had a wrecked right shoulder, a concussion and a variety of other cuts and bruises. After a stay in the medical tent / area I wound up at the hospital. As I was still in race gear I had no ID, no insurance card, etc. My US-based health insurance wouldn't have covered me anyway; I think they agreed to send me a bill.

There was some sort of police report, contact info exchanged, and upon my return to Seattle I hired a personal injury lawyer know in the local cycling community as someone experienced in dealing with car/bike accidents as I expected a lengthy process. As it would turn out, the drivers car insurance company was basically the provincial government. Someone from Canada drove down to meet with us a bit later that fall to talk about the case. I still remember what were almost the first words out of his mouth after we exchanged greetings and introductions - "we're not going to contest anything that happened, we owe you for the replacement value of any damaged equipment, all of your medical expenses, any lost wages and something for pain and suffering". I think I had a check by the end of the year or early the following year.

In contrast, a friend that had also been hit at IMC the year before by a driver from a province in eastern Canada with a different carrier went through a 2+ year lawsuit and settlement process.
Quote Reply