Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HELP!!!! (me develop swim core strength)
Quote | Reply
Another thread referenced the following video:

TLDR - Engage muscles in your back/glutes/legs to shift your balance, get your legs up and minimize the drag in the water.

I have no doubt that this is my primary limiter in the water (I've had video analysis) and I have no doubt that the
information in that video is the key to improving my swim. My problem is the drills suggested are the equivalent of asking
me to do a head stand on day 1 of Yoga. If I put my fingers on the edge of the pool and try to float my legs up they just
sink. If I try it just floating, my whole body sinks. If I try to put my toes on the edge and float (as Joe Friel recommends in his book)
The lifeguard will be reviving me. I also cant do anything with a pull buoy between my ankles, my middle is like cooked spaghetti in the water.

I consider my general core strength decent: I can plank for days, do 1 leg burpees with a stability ball, and a number of other things
that don't seem to translate to this specific skill in the water. Can someone please suggest specific, attainable, beginer exercises to develop these muscles
and the mind-muscle connections required to use them in the water?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!!! (me develop swim core strength) [MidPack4Life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting eagerly for better swimmers to respond, but just observing that planks and burpees rely on core flexion strength, like a crunch, and holding your legs up in the water in theory relies on core extension strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lay on your stomach in a Superman pose. Raise your feet and arms slightly and hold that position. Start with short holds and then lengthen the time as you get stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prone plank.
2 leg bridge with band.
1 leg bridge with band,
Side plank
Bird dog with band
Paloff press, weight as tolerated or with band.
Clamshell. With band.

I’ve been doing these every day for 10 weeks for rehabbing after surgery.
100m time went from 1:34 to 1:28 SCM.

PT is a way of life, not a patch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like doing stability ball hamstring curls and static stability ball bridges (holding the starting position of the curl for 45-60s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKMD68CZfFM

Also, swiss ball russian twists. These would add a nice torsional/rotational element while still engaging the key muscles you're trying to target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxAUxHQlv20

Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!!! (me develop swim core strength) [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Lay on your stomach in a Superman pose. Raise your feet and arms slightly and hold that position. Start with short holds and then lengthen the time as you get stronger.
\

I am not a master swimmer by any means, but I second this. I would also add that when you build up the ability to hold for a decent amount, that you also include doing it as a dynamic movement...meaning go from arms spread and legs spread on the ground to off the ground and up in the air (like you are flying) to back down...repeat like it's a set.

Once you do that well, combine the two. Hold the superman pose, go right into a set as I described above, and back to the superman pose. Burns like a mother, but helps.

I need to get back to it myself.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!!! (me develop swim core strength) [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:

This. I'll add that it really takes very little strength to keep your legs up while swimming; the water does most of the work. It's more a matter of imprinting that position so your legs sort of stay there by themselves.

One important thing is to make sure your hip flexors (and quads to a lesser extent) are loose enough that you can maintain this position without fighting inflexibility. Runners and cyclists tend to have tight hip flexors, which means they have to use more strength to overcome that tightness.

There have been a number of threads including this video that have many testimonials to success that people have had.

(edit)

When doing the Superman pose, feel what muscles you are using to lift your legs (back, butt, hamstrings). Then focus on using those muscles in the water.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Dec 8, 23 14:27
Quote Reply