Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold weather and super shoe foam
Quote | Reply
Has there been any research done to see if cold weather affects(and at what temperature) the cushioning/rebound effect of the new super foams? Did my long run today with 13.1@MP. Temperature was 32 (yes that is cold in Mississippi) and started wondering if that affects the foam. My feet always feel like they take more of a pounding when it’s cold, but they could just be because my feet are cold.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather and super shoe foam [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forget where I read it but I believe what I've seen is that cold still affects the foam in these new super shoes but less than it affected say shoes with EVA midsoles.
Last edited by: txtyree: Dec 7, 23 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather and super shoe foam [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To test, I would put one shoe in the freezer and compare. I would say cold temp does make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about super foams but in my many years of running in the frozen north of Minnesota I found that below 10 degrees f after approximately 45 minutes EVA shoes turned to bricks. That’s one of the reasons I ran in Nikes with air to try and keep a little cushioning during my long winter runs.

These days with the invention of treadmills and with retirement I can head south, I don’t need to worry about that any longer. I would say at the balmy 30 degrees there should be minimal effect on the foams….it really has to be allot cooler to have an impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunRepeat reviews typically include a measure of foam 'softness' at room temp and at freezer temp. Some are way stiffer in the cold and others not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Has there been any research done to see if cold weather affects(and at what temperature) the cushioning/rebound effect of the new super foams? Did my long run today with 13.1@MP. Temperature was 32 (yes that is cold in Mississippi) and started wondering if that affects the foam. My feet always feel like they take more of a pounding when it’s cold, but they could just be because my feet are cold.

Slightly related, my "used" Alphaflys were still wet from a previous rainy day and I needed to go run in 30 minutes so I put them in the oven at 175F with the door slightly cracked.

The foam felt brand spanking new when I put them back on.

Maybe on a cold race morning throwing a couple hand warmers in each shoe before you start the swim is a good idea. Just have to remember to remove them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I read somewhere it does, and also it is best to wait 24 hours after a run for the foam to bounce back too. I guess from compression?? I got an older pair of Alpha flys and now get all the hoop la surrounding these shoes. It is a super sized feeling from when I put on my first pair of HOKA Bondi's, cushy and a feeling of rebounding. And apparently it is mostly the foam differences, so temps probably do have an effect. The carbon plate would be the same no matter what..
Quote Reply