Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else get the email from TriSports? Thoughts on the NEO 2 on sale versus the NEO 3M?

I'm getting errors uploading the screen shot, so:

This is indoor riding like you’ve never experienced before.
Introducing the new Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin, a powerful direct-drive smart trainer with built-in multidirectional movement and a state-of-the-art NEO magnet motor for the most realistic indoor ride. The integrated motion can be toggled on and off, and it features the innovative virtual flywheel, which simulates the feeling of riding on different road surfaces, such as cobblestone and gravel. This smart trainer can handle up to 2200 watts max power and delivers accuracy within 1% for a broader range of power outputs.
Now’s the time to train your way to the front of the pack.
Last edited by: kajukenbo: Dec 7, 23 2:19
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [kajukenbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajukenbo wrote:
Did anyone else get the email from TriSports?

Not me.

kajukenbo wrote:
Thoughts on the NEO 2 on sale versus the NEO 3M?

Neo 2t has been on sale for months now, definitely since Wahoo came up with their new kickr. The 3rd generation looks like a more accurate 2T on a rocker plate. It's a slight evolution to me, not a revolution. I'm fine with what I have (Neo 2T) for as long as it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please share the screenshot. The page is not available anymore

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take a look at reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/18cpq7u/tacx_neo_3m_from_garmin/

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray's review is up:

Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 grand and doesn't come with wifi. woof!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Dec 7, 23 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$2k and per DC rainmaker's review it comes with an 11 speed cassette. Nothing wrong with 11 speed but I've got to think most people buying a trainer in this price bracket have got a 12 speed group already.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txtyree wrote:
$2k and per DC rainmaker's review it comes with an 11 speed cassette. Nothing wrong with 11 speed but I've got to think most people buying a trainer in this price bracket have got a 12 speed group already.

I would disagree...I have to many bikes and have a dedicated trainer bike that is 11 speed. I know the price point will attract the higher end users but I still think proportionally that 11spd is the sweet spot at present.
You could probably argue the opposite, those not on a budget are the ones likely to have 12spd already who won't be concerned about needing to get an additional 12 Spd cassette for the trainer??
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A better solution would be giving a choice of cassette upon purchase.

Wahoo/Zwift are now doing this at US$599. Why isn't it an option at $1999 with Garmin? For that money it needs to be a white glove service. Not a game of pin-the-tail-on-the-groupset-donkey where near enough is good enough.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather pay $1000 more and get a KickR Bike Shift.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:

Wahoo/Zwift are now doing this at US$599. Why isn't it an option at $1999 with Garmin? For that money it needs to be a white glove service. Not a game of pin-the-tail-on-the-groupset-donkey where near enough is good enough.

Watched your video today Shane, along with Rays.
Really cannot understand why in 2023 and 2024 you need to sell a wifi/ethernet adapter separately and you cannot take the relatively small step to embed it in the final product.
I have tagged you in the Garmin posts to be sent a media unit to trial, hope they see the light soon!
Looking at the pricing today on the AU Garmin site and it is pretty incredible that we are being asked to pay this amount for this trainer. I have far too many high end bikes and am happy to spend money when I need to, but at over $3K for an indoor trainer, considering where the market is at with the quality etc of the non-high end models, I just wonder how on earth are they going to get any return on their investment (well, lack of in many ways) with the 3M. There is nothing in this model that wants me to change my current 2T over to this. I would rather spend a bit more and go for a dedicated indoor training bike (probably the Wahoo).
It is a shame in that something I have looked forward to and would have spent money on has come out being both underwhelming in terms of features and also incredibly overpriced. I doubt even dentists will buy this (no offence intended to any dentists in the forum).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
I have tagged you in the Garmin posts to be sent a media unit to trial, hope they see the light soon!
Looking at the pricing today on the AU Garmin site and it is pretty incredible that we are being asked to pay this amount for this trainer.

Thank you. I suspect my call to action will only further cement my new position of "media shitlisted" with Garmin/Tacx. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Re: The Aussie pricing. I speculated AU$3000 in my video. When I saw it was AU$3399 without the Ethernet/WiFi module I was surprised. It'll only be a matter of time before Wahoo start offering the Zwift/Core bundle down here. That'll no doubt be the new go-to option.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's very expensive and not having the ethernet / WiFi integrated by default is also very 2000s.

I'm still using the original Neo, bought in the first year of production!

Can't see any reason to upgrade at all.

And 3000$+ AUD is crazy, especially considering the budget offerings there are that already do everything you need.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [CreativeInkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that price is stupid, how are they justifying such an increase over the 2t

Looks like another item that Garmin are gunna screw up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:

I’d rather it come with a single cog and virtual shifting buttons, with the option to just buy whatever cassette you want if you prefer to use the bike’s existing shifting.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with 11sp except those of us with 10sp Di2. I was super interested in seeing the 3M until I realised that my AUD3,400 purchase would also require a new dedicated bike to go on it.

My Neo OG is running just fine for the foreseeable future…
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Wow that price is stupid, how are they justifying such an increase over the 2t

Looks like another item that Garmin are gunna screw up

Garmin love to see the competition eating their market share lol

wait until apple figure out the battery stuff with the iWatch and then garmin will be in bigger troubles.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add me to the OG Neo camp. I'll be riding it til it fails.

In my case though, I don't intend to replace the 10 speed bike I have on it until something drastic happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two Neo OGs still going strong. Just re the 11sp comment, and apologies if I misundestood your post, but it will work with 10sp, you just need to add a 10sp cassette. The difference from the Neo OGs we got is they came with no cassette, and so I was able to add my 9sp, you added your 10sp.

I personally would prefer that the trainers came 40 cheaper with no cassette, but that's as I have the tools and confidence to swap / add cassettes. I know that doesn't apply to many though.

I'll be honest, that having had such good experience with the Neo OGs, when the time comes I'll almost certainly go for one of these. Or the Neo 4M as it may be by time I need to replace. That said it will depend on how Garmin support to NZ is going at that time. Its getting a bit wearisome having the abysmal poor cousin of AU support. I can just about work around a $700 watch but a $4k trainer.

Oh, and the external wifi - I admit the lack of a hook/slot to mount it is bizarre, but equally, having that externally may in the long run be a win. If the tech is developing/changeing then swapping that out in the future for an upgrade that has 5g wifi, etc, even if charged upgrade as opposed to needing to change the main trainer could work. I think the reviews point out there's pretty minimal headway for improvement from here in the resistance/power accuracy. So if the trainer can last the same 10 years as the Neo OG, then having the ability to upgrade the comms seems wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a gadget addict and usually order the latest tech the day of announcement. I love my Neo, but the 3M is a hard nope to me. It offers nothing but a really high price tag. I wonder if Garmin will decide to keep the 2T around for a while as the budget option?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It offers nothing but a really high price tag. I wonder if Garmin will decide to keep the 2T around for a while as the budget option?

I don't fully agree that it offers nothing. If DCR is right about it's erg mode quickness and other-worldly accuracy, that's attractive to me.

My entire smart trainer existence has been with a Neo 2, and, man, my experience is different than the "Neo OG" fans above. It's sluggish responding to erg mode changes (being 2 seconds late coming off a 8-second 1000W interval is just infuriating, because that 2 seconds might as well be all day when you're at your neuromuscular limit). "Slipping" around 1100-1200W. Under-reporting power at low-cadence/high-torque pedalling (vs. multiple power meters I've graphed it against).

But I can probably get most of that fixed pretty well for around $1000 these days if I wanted to.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx NEO 3M from Garmin [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I don't fully agree that it offers nothing. If DCR is right about it's erg mode quickness and other-worldly accuracy, that's attractive to me.
Aaah, the responsiveness thing totally depends on training style. I train solely for triathlons, so I never see kilowatt intervals. I could see how a little lag would make a huge difference when twisting the cranks at 1,000+ watts.

I asked on DCR's website if they fixed the under-reporting at high speeds. He said they did. That was actually the one thing I was looking for to upgrade, but the price makes that a non-starter when I can correct it by simply riding in an easy gear.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Dec 9, 23 15:31
Quote Reply