Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa Pro vs Vasa ERG
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Vasa pro. Have an opportunity to upgrade to a ERG and I am wondering if it is worth the extra $500 it will cost me. I use the Pro now on days I cannot make it to the pool for about 1000-1500 yards approx.
Is there anyone who has shifted from the Pro to an ERG and was it worth the change? Has it improved your swim? I know nothing can replace water time but is the ERG an improvement from the Pro?
Thanks for any info

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Pro vs Vasa ERG [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Erg that I picked up on ebay years ago. I haven't used a regular Vasa pro since college, which is 30 or so years ago. From what I remember, the Pro is much more a strength workout than an endurance workout. I seem to remember that, as a distance swimmer, we would set the vasa to a low incline and try to do several minutes and it being very difficult. You can do more extended sets on the erg because of the damper settings. Also, it's more like actual swimming due to the alternating arms. Also, you get some metrics with the erg (pace, distance, stroke rate, etc.) I don't think you get any sort of metrics with the Pro. (Again, it's been a minute, so maybe that changed.) Is it going to make you better? I doubt it, at least not as much as actually getting to the pool. But, yes, it's probably better than doing nothing at all. There have been a couple of times where I went extended periods leading up to a race without getting in the water and I managed to do okay just using the erg, but I also have years of swim base in me.
Quote Reply