Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone!
Quote | Reply
I went into Ironman Barcelona feeling good. During the race, the swim felt good and I was running quicker than my expected pace on the bike. An hour into the bike, I decided to back down the pace and play it safe even though as felt good. All was good.

At mile 40 or so, I started feeling stabbing pain in my stomach. I first ignored it and figured it would go away. By mile 80, it didn’t go away and was getting worse. I took in as much nutrition as I could and drank a bottle of water. I knew the inevitable, but told myself I would finish the bike and see how a I felt. The pain was worse and I literally was in tears as I rode. It was a sad sight. A grown man weeping as I rode. I finished the bike, making the cutoff…. But, ai chose to turn in my chip and take a DNF. I went to the hotel and didn’t eat anything that night and the next day slowly took in food until I felt “normal”.

During the swim, I obviously didn’t take in nutrition. On the bike, I drank water every 20 min and a gel every 30 min. The sports drink on course didn’t taste great and at first, I thought that was causing the stomach pain. Now, I don’t think so. When the pain began, I started missing times I was suppose to take in gel and sometimes water, but I tried to continue water as much as I could. I never bonked or felt like I was losing power or energy. Just stomach pain.

I always had a stomach like a garbage disposal and I could eat anything and I never had GI issues. Maybe that now changed.

Prior events, I used Powergel strawberry banana and it worked just fine for me. This year, I couldn’t find it …. Maybe it is unavailable now. I used GU instead and settled on vanilla and chocolate. I’m not sure if it was the GU nutrition not absorbing, I don’t know.

Help! Give me your thoughts and nutrition info as well
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are unaware of what energy drinks was given out on the bike, and hence, you have not trained with this type of energy.

In general: NEVER try anything new on race day. That goes for nutrition also. So find gels and energy drinks that your stomach "likes" and use that on race day. Does not eliminate ALL risks of GI issues, but you eliminate a lot of risk factors.

Did you calculate well how much energy (i.e. Carbohydrate / hour) you need and did you stick to this plan ?

I had a lot if GI issues myself in my early days. One part of the solution for me was changing to SIS products, both gels and energy drinks. Works well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"An hour into the bike, I decided to back down the pace and play it safe"

This might be your problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both vanilla and chocolate gu contain caffeine. Power gel strawbanana contains none.

Caffeine is known to increase gastric acid production in the stomach:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5544304/

I have a friend who is a big coffee drinker and always complained about severe stomach cramps during the run. He tried all different foods and hydration etc.

It wasn't until he stopped using coffee on race morning and caffeine gels on race day that his cramps went away.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Dec 3, 23 4:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure that I need 4-6 calories/kg/hour on the bike. (70 kg male, 280-420 calories per hour). I usually go on the lower end of this scale. I am a 5:30-6:00 IM cyclist, so 5.5 x 280=1.540 calories, 5.5 x 420=2,310.

I plan to get all of those calories from liquid nutrition, ie my water bottles. I mix four water bottles with 500 calories per bottle. Two on the bike, two to be picked up at bike special needs. 2,000 liquid calories available to me, that I have trained with in preparation for the race. This is my nutrition for the bike. I supplement with water at aid stations, how much water depends on how hot it is.

If I have done it right, I am well hydrated and fueled coming off the bike and need very little for the run. I'm not super fast but I have several 3:30 marathons off the bike where the only thing I have consumed for the run is coke and water (I shoot for 1-2 calories/kg/hour while running). Zero electrolyte supplementation on the run. Coke is a wonder drug during the IM run.

This is what worked for me. I used to have GI issues while racing but this plan has solved all of that and I have multiple finishes where I have not run out of energy and have finished feeling good. I scale it down for HIM racing.... basically just half the amount that I use for IM.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like some kind of bacteria from the water. That kind of GI distress is what one would expect from bacteria overwhelming the GI system.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Both vanilla and chocolate gu contain caffeine. Power gel strawbanana contains none.

I have a friend who is a big coffee drinker and always complained about severe stomach cramps during the run. He tried all different foods and hydration etc.

It wasn't until he stopped using coffee on race morning and caffeine gels on race day that his cramps went away.

Point taken.

However, power at website shows caffeine in powergel. Look at the pic of the gel.
https://www.powerbar.ca/...l/strawberry-banana/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll leave the advice giving part to experienced 140.6 finishers - in fact any 140.6 finishers - but you skipped some important facts. Like: how much water did you drink? “3 times an hour” could be 150 ml or 750 ml an hour. How much of the sports drink did you drink? What was the weather like? What position were you riding in?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Dec 3, 23 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Sounds to me like some kind of bacteria from the water. That kind of GI distress is what one would expect from bacteria overwhelming the GI system.

I would think during the swim it’s possible to ingest salt water and I wonder if that was the case. Otherwise, I did drink bottled water everywhere, but it’s possible maybe at dinner or somewhere I had tap water and didn’t realize.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
I figure that I need 4-6 calories/kg/hour on the bike. (70 kg male, 280-420 calories per hour). I usually go on the lower end of this scale. I am a 5:30-6:00 IM cyclist, so 5.5 x 280=1.540 calories, 5.5 x 420=2,310.

I plan to get all of those calories from liquid nutrition, ie my water bottles. I mix four water bottles with 500 calories per bottle. Two on the bike, two to be picked up at bike special needs. 2,000 liquid calories available to me, that I have trained with in preparation for the race. This is my nutrition for the bike. I supplement with water at aid stations, how much water depends on how hot it is.

If I have done it right, I am well hydrated and fueled coming off the bike and need very little for the run. I'm not super fast but I have several 3:30 marathons off the bike where the only thing I have consumed for the run is coke and water (I shoot for 1-2 calories/kg/hour while running). Zero electrolyte supplementation on the run. Coke is a wonder drug during the IM run.

This is what worked for me. I used to have GI issues while racing but this plan has solved all of that and I have multiple finishes where I have not run out of energy and have finished feeling good. I scale it down for HIM racing.... basically just half the amount that I use for IM.

Sounds like I’m not eating enough. Although, I took one gel every 30 min on the bike or run during training. In my prior Ironman races, I took a gel every 20 min, but I can tell my metabolism isn’t the same as it once was, so I cut it back.

What liquid nutrition do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Sounds like I’m not eating enough. Although, I took one gel every 30 min on the bike or run during training. In my prior Ironman races, I took a gel every 20 min, but I can tell my metabolism isn’t the same as it once was, so I cut it back.

What liquid nutrition do you use?

I have been using a custom Infinit formula for years. Caution - it took me a long time to work it out and get used to it.

290 kcals per serving, 3 servings per bottle, close to 250g of carbs. I go through about 2 bottles per IM bike. I usually take 2-3 caffeinated GUs during that time - caffeine works for me.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Point taken.

However, power at website shows caffeine in powergel. Look at the pic of the gel.

Huh. That picture above is the one that I Google when I made the comparison.

I'd still submit the most likely cause of stomach distress be the chemical that causes increased acid production in the stomach, but I realize caffeine is kind of near religious significance for many. It might just be related to you going a bit harder than normal combined with the caffeine. I can't imagine you having severe pains 40 miles into the bike from lack of calories unless you weren't eating anything. I'd start with eliminating the drug from your nutrition first, but again I realize this likely has a lot of lifestyle implications to it also.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
jharris wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Point taken.

Huh. That picture above is the one that I Google when I made the comparison.

I'd still submit the most likely cause of stomach distress be the chemical that causes increased acid production in the stomach, but I realize caffeine is kind of near religious significance for many. It might just be related to you going a bit harder than normal combined with the caffeine. I can't imagine you having severe pains 40 miles into the bike from lack of calories unless you weren't eating anything. I'd start with eliminating the drug from your nutrition first, but again I realize this likely has a lot of lifestyle implications to it also.

I assume the difference of that powergel version is that it is labeled “vegan”.

I will take your advice and apply it though. Hoping to figure things out as I begin training again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I went into Ironman Barcelona feeling good. During the race, the swim felt good and I was running quicker than my expected pace on the bike. An hour into the bike, I decided to back down the pace and play it safe even though as felt good. All was good.

At mile 40 or so, I started feeling stabbing pain in my stomach. I first ignored it and figured it would go away. By mile 80, it didn’t go away and was getting worse. I took in as much nutrition as I could and drank a bottle of water. I knew the inevitable, but told myself I would finish the bike and see how a I felt. The pain was worse and I literally was in tears as I rode. It was a sad sight. A grown man weeping as I rode. I finished the bike, making the cutoff…. But, ai chose to turn in my chip and take a DNF. I went to the hotel and didn’t eat anything that night and the next day slowly took in food until I felt “normal”.

During the swim, I obviously didn’t take in nutrition. On the bike, I drank water every 20 min and a gel every 30 min. The sports drink on course didn’t taste great and at first, I thought that was causing the stomach pain. Now, I don’t think so. When the pain began, I started missing times I was suppose to take in gel and sometimes water, but I tried to continue water as much as I could. I never bonked or felt like I was losing power or energy. Just stomach pain.

I always had a stomach like a garbage disposal and I could eat anything and I never had GI issues. Maybe that now changed.

Prior events, I used Powergel strawberry banana and it worked just fine for me. This year, I couldn’t find it …. Maybe it is unavailable now. I used GU instead and settled on vanilla and chocolate. I’m not sure if it was the GU nutrition not absorbing, I don’t know.

Help! Give me your thoughts and nutrition info as well

nutrition and GI stress depends on hydration status and intensity.

you need to learn how to mantain yourself hydrated and how much CH you need to eat ( and try several brands, different tastes, densities...)

normally, people tend to train low-energy and race high-energy.. it doesn't work. You shall train some days low energy (short/low intensity training) and some days high (long training specially race-pace rides/runs, and high intensity training)... you need to test nutrition strategy and master your pre-race meal, your pre-hydratation...

but... even that, you shall master your race pace strategy, because the combination of too strong pace plus bad hydration plus bad nutrition kill almost everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problems that probably contributed, if I'm understanding correctly:
  1. Pace on bike too fast too early.
  2. Insufficient water
  3. Substantially more carbs & sodium per hour than typically used in training. It sounds like you reduced your gel intake rate from 1 per 20 min to 1 per 30 min in training. Then in racing, added carb solution from aid stations.

Those three things taken together probably gives you your answer.

I doubt that caffeine played a significant role in this. Caffeine gets a bad rap because it's so potently 'sensed' by the user, and so it's assumed to be pretty abrasive to the gut or other systems. It's not. It's far more likely that other things besides caffeine contribute to GI distress for most people. Even when it's narrowed down scientifically (through testing and process of elimination) that coffee is the primary irritant for someone, it's almost never the caffeine that's the culprit, but the acid, or caffeine-induced anorexia (caffeine blunts hunger) followed by dehydration followed by rapid over-consumption during a sugar crash, or other chemicals in the coffee, or hyponatremia contributed to by way of non-sodium fluid consumption, etc etc etc.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Sounds like you are unaware of what energy drinks was given out on the bike, and hence, you have not trained with this type of energy.

In general: NEVER try anything new on race day. That goes for nutrition also.

This was my thought, since the experience mirror what happened to me at a race last year. They switched up the hydration sponsor to something new which I didn't realize until it was too late. I rolled the dice and lost. It was a half-IM so I made to about km 2 of the run before I had the same symptoms as the OP. I walked and ran it in from there, but it wasn't a lot of fun.

I've even told my kids "Nothing new on race day". I shared that story with them so they can learn from my mistakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
The pain was worse and I literally was in tears as I rode.
With this description of pain, and assuming it was the physical pain (not the mental) that made you cry, I would also look elsewhere than nutrition alone.

Did you swallow a lot of air or water during the swim?

Did you try to take a potty-break?
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
I’ll leave the advice giving part to experienced 140.6 finishers - in fact any 140.6 finishers - but you skipped some important facts. Like: how much water did you drink? “3 times an hour” could be 150 ml or 750 ml an hour. How much of the sports drink did you drink? What was the weather like? What position were you riding in?

1 bottle an hour. It got up to 88 degrees I was told.

Mix of aero and sitting up, I’ve given up on trying to stay area all the time. I’m aero probably 25% of the time. And yes…. I’ve contemplated just riding a road bike! Or even installing road bars on the Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [esv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esv wrote:
jharris wrote:

With this description of pain, and assuming it was the physical pain (not the mental) that made you cry, I would also look elsewhere than nutrition alone.

Not sure if I swallowed air or water, but I was feeling bloated and gassy and tried to use the bathroom, but I wasn’t pissing like I was mega hydrated. Maybe a mix of mental and physical, but the physical pain was a 9/10 when the stabbing pain would occur. This was my first DNF, so I’m certain mentally it played a role.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Problems that probably contributed, if I'm understanding correctly:
  1. Pace on bike too fast too early.
  2. Insufficient water
  3. Substantially more carbs & sodium per hour than typically used in training. It sounds like you reduced your gel intake rate from 1 per 20 min to 1 per 30 min in training. Then in racing, added carb solution from aid stations.

Those three things taken together probably gives you your answer.

I doubt that caffeine played a significant role in this. Caffeine gets a bad rap because it's so potently 'sensed' by the user, and so it's assumed to be pretty abrasive to the gut or other systems. It's not. It's far more likely that other things besides caffeine contribute to GI distress for most people. Even when it's narrowed down scientifically (through testing and process of elimination) that coffee is the primary irritant for someone, it's almost never the caffeine that's the culprit, but the acid, or caffeine-induced anorexia (caffeine blunts hunger) followed by dehydration followed by rapid over-consumption during a sugar crash, or other chemicals in the coffee, or hyponatremia contributed to by way of non-sodium fluid consumption, etc etc etc.

I'm really surprised to see stomach pain to the point of crying attributed to a drink every 20 minutes and a gel every 30 minutes. I can definitely see gas-pain being related to excessive carb intake for sure, but is this really excessive? But I'm just surprised that this stabbing pain would show up after 40 miles or 3-4 gels, which is 78-104 carbs over what sounds like 2 hours or more? That doesn't seem too wild of carb intake. Speaking for myself, I train with at most 40g carbs and hour (unless my wife just made cinnamon rolls, then once I started a long run with a cinnamon roll in each hand...hah). On race day I'm sometimes hitting that 90 or above number. Never had the gas pain issue, but I realize mileage varies for everyone.

I can say that I personally don't do the power gels or gu. The powergel gummies definitely have been coughed up from time to time. Stomach hates them I guess. So now for racing I just make my own liquid nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stress related? Stress can cause a lot of weird stuff without even realizing it. I usually have hay fever a day before the race. I always thought I caught something and was falling sick but it turned out it’s from the stress. I can manage it better now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
esv wrote:
jharris wrote:

Not sure if I swallowed air or water, but I was feeling bloated and gassy and tried to use the bathroom, but I wasn’t pissing like I was mega hydrated. Maybe a mix of mental and physical, but the physical pain was a 9/10 when the stabbing pain would occur. This was my first DNF, so I’m certain mentally it played a role.

I'm not the fastest but I've done that race before. I doubt you overcooked the bike because it's one of the fastest courses anyhow, with good drafting - legal or not.

I'm curious: what did you eat for breakfast before the race, and how much? This is where you can get tripped up on a destination race because it might be hard to find exactly what you normally eat. Your dinner the night before might have got you also.

Sorry about the bad luck - I really like that venue.

P.S. know the on-course options well before you race. IM seems to be offering Maurten gels at races lately. I think they're disgusting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have added that the higher rate of carb consumption, absent more liquid consumption, PLUS the fact that gels and chews allow rapid chew & swallow of high concentration carbs, might sum to be problematic. Even if hourly rate is moderate, or even matched to normal, sometimes the high concentration of carbs from gels is still problematic for folks when dehydration sets in or at race pace.

When using something more solid like a cinnamon roll, self-selected fluid consumption will be higher because it's hard to consume the dry fluffy stuff without fluid to chase it down.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Had to DNF at Ironman- nutrition questions for everyone! [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
jharris wrote:
esv wrote:
jharris wrote:

I'm not the fastest but I've done that race before. I doubt you overcooked the bike because it's one of the fastest courses anyhow, with good drafting - legal or not.

I'm curious: what did you eat for breakfast before the race, and how much? This is where you can get tripped up on a destination race because it might be hard to find exactly what you normally eat. Your dinner the night before might have got you also.

Sorry about the bad luck - I really like that venue.

P.S. know the on-course options well before you race. IM seems to be offering Maurten gels at races lately. I think they're disgusting.

My sleep night before sucked with drunk people making noise across the hall all night. Hotel said they would open the restaurant early. I walked in and they had toast and a handful of really lame items for breakfast. I didn’t have my normal omelette and breakfast potatoes or anything that was a large amount of nutrition. It was a weak breast breakfast and some OJ.
Quote Reply