Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron Deficiency/Anemia Confusion...
Quote | Reply
52 years old, good Ironman level fitness.
I need guidance understanding my lab numbers from an endurance perspective.
I've been fully checked for blockage etc., all good. Have PVC's only at rest, cleared for normal training. Only real concerning symptom is increased orthostatic hypotension the day following a big day(ex. Yesterday, 2 hour run, 1 hour swim, today a bit dizzy standing up suddenly...).

Lab numbers to help you help me, if you could!

Aug/Oct/Nov '23

WBC 6.9/13.8(flu)/8.7
RBC 4.26/3.9/4.27
Hemoglobin 140/127/138
Hematocrit .40/.37/.40
Platelet Count. 172/184/193
Iron 29.7/not reported/28.9
Saturation. 50/not reported/.45
Ferritin. 166/not reported/247

Should I be supplementing with iron? I feel better after taking it, but my above number indicate both higher iron and low iron at the same time, leading to confusion. Orthostatic hypotension worse when not taking iron orally.

Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency/Anemia Confusion... [Andy Saunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for the dizziness

Do you wear ear plugs?

Is it possible you have vertigo?

I started using ear plugs and doing a simple 3 minute exercise for vertigo and all the dizziness went away in a single day
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency/Anemia Confusion... [Andy Saunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar issues with dizziness. According to my PCP, my blood work showed that was slightly anemia. I'm vegetarian, although I'm not sure it that had anything to do with it. Tried iron supplements, but they made me constipated so tried eating iron rich foods daily. In the past 8 or so months, no recurrence of the dizziness.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency/Anemia Confusion... [joj4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joj4444 wrote:
Similar issues with dizziness. According to my PCP, my blood work showed that was slightly anemia. I'm vegetarian, although I'm not sure it that had anything to do with it. Tried iron supplements, but they made me constipated so tried eating iron rich foods daily. In the past 8 or so months, no recurrence of the dizziness.

I am far from a nutrition expert but do know athletes who eat meat who have suffered from low iron levels. And I am 100% plant-based (since 2007) and my Iron and ferritin levels are always very good. Husband too. I wonder if it has something to do with being able to absorb iron. Or eating certain foods that help with absorption. (heard in the past Vitamin C helps with this but maybe an expert can chime in on this)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Dec 1, 23 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency/Anemia Confusion... [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
joj4444 wrote:

I am far from a nutrition expert but do know athletes who eat meat who have suffered from low iron levels. And I am 100% plant-based (since 2007) and my Iron and ferritin levels are always very good. Husband too. I wonder if it has something to do with being able to absorb iron. Or eating certain foods that help with absorption. (heard in the past Vitamin C helps with this but maybe an expert can chime in on this)

it may have nothing to do with what you eat. plant or meat based.

i am not a doctor and very basic knowledge about it based on what my doctor is telling me.

i have been in endurance sports since 25 years and many investigations has been made but no explanation has been found for me yet. there is only 1 solution: iron infusion every about 6 months. also iron capsules don't work because it creates gut issues.

to the op: you should add what are the values, i.e. mmol/liter or whatever. there are mainly 2 standards and it seems you have a different standard from mine. if not, your ferritin numbers look amazing
Quote Reply