Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
monty wrote:
Well this is what I am getting at. I think you are far more likely to find a sub 30 10k runner from a population of 4:30 swimmers than the opposite.//

Well wouldn't that mythological unicorn be a member of both populations, and thus as likely to be found in either??

I cannot recall ever hearing about anyone(college or under) making that cutoff in both sports, have you? I'm not even sure that the best current ITU guys could swim sub 4;30. Perhaps at one time in their lives, but at the same time as running sub 30- 10k? It would be super rare to find that person that can do both in the same week for sure...

For a data point - I have a currently racing ITU acquaintance that feels they can swim 4:45 in the 500 free with their in season fitness. They have told me they have no problem swimming with the front ITU pack and feel they are one of the fastest swimmers in the mix. Their results bear out they are always in the front pack. This season, starting in Aug 2023, there have been roughly 300 males in the USA that have swum 4:30 or under, that includes high school and college.

A 4:30 500 swimmer will be swimming massively, and have near zero time for other sports. Plus, you don’t need that swim speed in triathlons. I agree with Monty, that would be a rare unicorn. I’d focus the attention on all sub 5 minute 500 swimmers, and see how much they are swimming and can they run.
I agree. It may not be PC, but a runner that fast is automatically "light" enough to run fast (obviously), A fast swimmer might be, and even if they were light unless they've ran already, they'd have a hunk of time required to toughen joints, ligaments, etc. to be ready for non-injury running. Just ask Mark Allen about his first years...

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well this is what I am getting at. I think you are far more likely to find a sub 30 10k runner from a population of 4:30 swimmers than the opposite.//

Well wouldn't that mythological unicorn be a member of both populations, and thus as likely to be found in either??

I cannot recall ever hearing about anyone(college or under) making that cutoff in both sports, have you? I'm not even sure that the best current ITU guys could swim sub 4;30. Perhaps at one time in their lives, but at the same time as running sub 30- 10k? It would be super rare to find that person that can do both in the same week for sure...

Im sure Javi and VL could have done it. And maybe Ali and Johnnie. That’s rarified air. But that’s what I was getting at. I’ve got to believe that out of 500 highly gifted swimmers you could find a few who could translate that to running. And yet it doesn’t seem like are IDing them.

Kanute went a 4:37 in Hs I believe? (He couldn’t run sub 30, I know). Maybe I’m just few seconds over the standard? 4:35 and quite a few people could do it?
Quote Reply
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im sure Javi and VL could have done it. And maybe Ali and Johnnie. That’s rarified air. But that’s what I was getting at. I’ve got to believe that out of 500 highly gifted swimmers you could find a few who could translate that to running. And yet it doesn’t seem like are IDing them. //

I mean maybe, but we are talking about at the same time. For sure a lot of those top ITU guys could make the run easy, but to do that swim at that time, well that requires someone that was a low 4;20 guy in their day, and still in top shape. We had a couple of probables in my day, but you have to look at the uber swimmers first. Guys like Rob Makle who did low mid 4;20's in their college careers, probably coulnt break 30 in the run. Dan Madruga certainly could have broken 4;30 most his career, also could not break 30 for 10k. I think the closest guy I can think of who could have done both is Andrew Carlson. He could swim with Rob and any off the front swimmer, and he was small and a great runner too. Just not sure if he ever broke 30 minutes.

I have no doubt that Ali, Javi, and others could break 4;40, but just not 4;30. That is the spot for guys like Varga and maybe one or two others, but of course most those guys are not quite at sub 30 runners. Maybe Varga, just dont know what a stand alone run for him would be, but it would take a guy like him to do both at the same time. sub 4;30 is really fast, a lot faster than the sub 30k is for sure...That is a college shave and taper time, and if you are faster than that, then probably still a great swimmer. Although it is more like sub 4;20 these days to keep going, and even then it has to be well under to be making money or national teams in that or the 400m events...
Quote Reply
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Allen's flat start 10km PR was 29:59. I highly doubt he was a 4:30 swimmer, though.

https://www.runnersworld.com/...ironmen-ironrunners/
Quote Reply
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming 4:30...

1) It takes a decent amount of sprint speed.

2) It takes muscle endurance for the arms

3) It takes decent swim form.

4) And it takes good fitness.

Only number 4) overlaps with the 10k.
Quote Reply
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And most that break 4:30 are much, much taller and quite a bit heavier muscled than any sub 30 min 10k runner. Different body types.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Allen's flat start 10km PR was 29:59. I highly doubt he was a 4:30 swimmer, though. //

You are correct, Mark Allen as well as myself were just under 5 minute 500 swimmers. Difference is that we could hang with 4;40 types, but not the sub 4;30 ones. The power of OW and drafting can be a great equalizer. And just as today, I would imagine that the bulk of pro triathletes are in the 4;40 to 5 minute range, while the others that are relegated to 2nd or 3rd packs are 5+ t 5;20...
Quote Reply
Re: For anyone that swims in a pool, how do you stack up?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we typically agree on this stuff and I think we do here.

I don’t think you could host an open 10k the day after the college season is over and expect to find a 29:59 out of the 500 or so who break 4:30.

What I was saying by the failure to ID the right guy was that out of those 500 there are a handful of guys, with training and dedication, that could go sub 30 in the 10k. And because they (once had) 4:30 speed they will always be a first pack swimmer in ITU racing.

That is what I meant. Not “at the same time.” Though I maintain Javi could do that. Probably in about 35 minutes of total time, actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like rarified air for sure - thinking of folks I know who could do either. My son’s club teammate just did a 4:18 and a 1:36 for Oakland (MI). A tri friend did 14:10 on the track in college and thinks he probably could have gone under 30 in the 10k.

They are surprisingly similar sizes. The swimmer is more muscular, but the runner has more muscle than I would have expected.

I’ve done tris with both, and I definitely think the swimmer would have a better shot at training to get a fast 10k than the runner having a fast 500.

My N=1

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next