Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half Ironman - Knee Replacement
Quote | Reply
Hello - has anyone completed a half or full ironman having had partial or total knee replacement? I had knee replacement and swimming and biking are not an issue. I’m training for a half ironman but when running I subconsciously think about wear and tear on my replaced knee. I walk and run but curious if anyone went full out on a replaced knee.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Ironman - Knee Replacement [tdiaz0728] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdiaz0728 wrote:
Hello - has anyone completed a half or full ironman having had partial or total knee replacement? I had knee replacement and swimming and biking are not an issue. I’m training for a half ironman but when running I subconsciously think about wear and tear on my replaced knee. I walk and run but curious if anyone went full out on a replaced knee.
Is your doctor okay with you running on a replacement knee?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but I've had a couple of team/club mates that have. Only comment was that they wish they'd had it done sooner.....

As above, ask your Doc/Surgeon as they are the one that knows your specific situation, but the chances are you're now in better shape knee-wise than when you were born as the quality control in the knee factory is way way better than the shite the rest of us are carting around.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen several people getting their knees, hips and joints hurt due to weight gain. We’ve been running together for years and noticed people who gained weight get hurt way more frequently. If your weight is under control and knee feels good, why not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It can be done. I had both knees replaced 11/2019 and “finished” IM Florida 11/2020. With the full knowledge and support of my surgeon. Also finished multiple 70.3, other Ironman full, and a few 50k ultras. Lots of folks will tell you it can’t be done or you shouldn’t run on a total knee. I have so-called Mako knee prosthesis placed robotically. No cement. The more you exercise them the tighter they hold. I felt incredibly uncomfortable when I started inserting short run segments in my long walks, but it becomes easier with time and use. I still walk/run anything longer than 10k. I was never fast before, I’m not fast now, but I’m still participating.

Don’t believe the naysayers. They are wrong. Why have the surgery if you can’t go back to enjoying activities you live.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Half Ironman - Knee Replacement [exnavydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am soon to be 64 and had a total replacement 3 years ago. It hasn't been great, but I have been running about 3X's/week (3-5 mile runs) and it seems to be going okay. I think most professionals will tell you not to run, but worse comes to worse, I'll get a new one.

I have arthrofibrosis and can only bend my knee 90 degrees. That makes biking difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be 82 next month. I got a Medacta GMK Primary Total Knee Replacement in May. I raced against the surgeon's Uncle a half century ago. We have lot of mutual friends. So the surgeon knew that I would be running and made me an exception. Started doing short runs at 5 months. Don't think that I'll go father than 5k.

Kevin
Last edited by: st speedskater: Nov 21, 23 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roger Robinson (who lives close to us in Wellington for six months or so each year) is a real inspiration.

"My advice to runners with knee problems is you can run and race on knee replacements, but the build-up has to be very slow, patient and persistent. For the body to adjust to a huge change like that takes years, not weeks."

Roger Robinson still going strong at 83 - AW (athleticsweekly.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 finishes 70.3 post tkr. Never gone full out, although the knee and muscles would certainly be strong enough to train for it. Definite personal choice but at 50 I don't want to risk it falling apart on the training volume, so I walk fast and enjoy being there. Bike stronger than presurgery.

Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me
Quote Reply
Re: Half Ironman - Knee Replacement [exnavydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@exnavydoc Thank you for confirming and you are right I got the TKR so I could get back to an active lifestyle! That said I have been slowly working my way to running beyond a 5k but will follow your lead (run\walk) with a 10k max. I am 5'7 and now 165 lbs. so the weight loss helped. It does feel weird to run on it, but I can see that my body is adjusting. Biking is fine (even stronger), but I look forward to my first 70.3 late this year or early next year. I plan to do a couple of Olympic distance Tri's this summer. Curios how was your 70.3 run\walk time? I am thinking besides the swim I may need to ramp up my bike time to give me time to finish the run\walk and come in under 8 hours.
Last edited by: tdiaz0728: Jan 4, 24 8:35
Quote Reply