Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeveless Wetsuit Quality
Quote | Reply
I'm a big believer in the idea that you get what you pay for.

How important is price/quality when it comes to sleeveless wetsuits?

I'm a very middle of the pack swimmer and have been swimming in a sleeveless Xterra Vortex wetsuit for the past 4 triathlon seasons - I'd estimate I've swam maybe 150,000 yards in it. I'm wondering if I'm about due for an upgrade, and if so, is it worth getting a higher end wetsuit?

Options I'm looking at are:
-Blue70 Sleeveless Reaction
-Roka Maverick Pro II
-TYR Hurricane Cat 5

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Wetsuit Quality [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have repeatedly tried blue 70 and ROKA

Unfortunate (because of price) the ROKA has always been fastest for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like the blue 70. I also have their top end sleeved one..

They due run nice sales every so often.

150,000 yards is a lot of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big advantage of higher end wetsuits is better shoulder flexibility....which is much less of an issue with a sleeveless suit.

I'm an advocate for higher end sleeved suits (they are by far the fastest.....I was running mid-range suits then got a Helix and the speed increase was ~2sec/100m...ymmv). For sleeveless get a lower end suit with lots of 5mm rubber to float you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that you get more with the more you pay in high end sleeved wetsuits. Not so much with sleeveless. I just replaced my 20 plus year old Ironman Triathlon sleeveless wetsuit with a Sailfish Rocket. A lot of great Black Friday specials out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had many sleeveless suits over the years and while I liked the (needed) shoulder flexibility none compared to the overall flexibility and comfort of Desoto’s two piece suits, specifically the speed vest top and speed tube bottom. I’ll never go back to a one piece suit sleeved or sleeveless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since most of the drag from a sleeveless wetsuit comes from the arm openings you would want a suit that fits well in that area.

Someone mentioned before that shoulder flexibility is a non-issue with sleeveless wetsuits and fit is less important since a short-body suit won't slow down your stroke like a short body full suit will.

The differences in rubber can make a difference but to me they have not been an issue.

I've mostly swam in my Xterra Vortex but have swam in Desoto, Aquaman, Huub and Orca. I like the Xterra the best mainly because of the durability of the suit and the fit around my arms, next is the Desoto 2 piece. The Aquaman was my first sleeveless, it was good as well but I bought it in 2003 so it's hard to compare because I was in a full for a few years before I went back to sleeveless.
Quote Reply