Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
My training volume and quality are pretty good and I stay consistent but recovery has been getting slower as I get older. Do a lot of foam roll, massage, sleep deep & well and stuff. You get to the point where you can’t push too hard anymore. It’s always second day hurts the most for me, not the day after so I know exactly what I need to do recover faster. Don’t get too caught up on your routine and habit. It’s better to rest some days if you need to.

Yes, I concur. I often find that the first day after a quality session, I actually feel really good. That's the tricky part. You just have to know that day two is going to be less good, and go easy even though you feel good.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wake up with tight and sore calf's and achilles etc"

If you are running in plated shoes often, it could be from that.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:

In my n=1 I def disagree with this.

I ran in lots of soft, cushy maxi shoes for several years. Then in the past 1.5 yrs I've switched over to all Alphafly/VF. The Alphafly is better than the maxi shoes for both impact reduction as well as the ankle pain I get when I run a lot from my ankle arthritis.

Its true that there's an adaptation period if you only sporadically use the AF/VF, and yes, you can def get injured if you only bust it out on race day but are coming from normal shoes. However ever since I've fully transitioned to training/racing in AF, zero problems.

FWIW as well, lots of marathoners now swear by training in AFs as well as racing in them, for its vaunted 'leg saving' effect, which I can confirm is real. So the exact opposite of worsening of sore calfs/achilles as long as you're using them regularly.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 20, 23 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started to notice what you describe at 48 years old
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

But yes, it's easier to get injured, for sure. And doing triathlon does us no favors on this as well - you'd think running LESS would help you stay less run-injured, but it's actually the opposite - running less just lets your run-specific tendons and muscles not retain the resilience they need to not get injured when they suddenly go hard.

I agree with this....but, its not quite consistent with the items below..and I don't quite agree with them.

lightheir wrote:
The tips I've found the hard way that have let me keep running reasonably close to my heyday -
- But don't run TOO much. You have to stay under the mileage that will lead you to start breaking yourself, and often it's not as high as you think. In particular, the rate of mileage increase is hugely important.

I agree rate-of-increase matters. I don't know that "not running too much" is as true. At least not in any material way for someone "approaching 50." I've run a LOT in the last 5 years, in excess of 100 mpw for months on end. But, I believe in lots of slow, easy running being the key to making that work.

lightheir wrote:

- Accept that you WILL suffer minor injuries in running, despite taking high precautions, and be ready for them with substitutes. Once you learn to swap in things like pool running, arctrainer, or whatever works for you, you'll feel less bad about run setbacks. Note that swim-bike alone isn't enough to help accelerate a true run comeback - it'll go faster and likely be mentally better if you are doing things that will actually help the run muscles in addition so Bike-swim.

I definitely do not agree with this. Injuries should not be a part of anyone's plan or expectations. I agree with being prepared with alternatives, and multiple modalities. But, no one should expect that injury is just part of the deal. Anyone getting injured, should look at the causes, and fix them so they don't happen. As above, I'm a VERY firm believer in the lots of slow, high frequency, easy running.

I was an injury prone runner in my 20s and 30s....I ran too hard, too often. In my late 40s I learned the BarryP way...and I've been almost entirely injury free since adopting that approach, 8 years ago. I've had two, total. One wasn't even a run injury...I pulled a groin treading water waiting to get out of the water on a course familiarization swim. Granted I ran the race the next day, with enough advil to stop a horse. So, that was just stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note that when I refer to 'injuries' I'm including little niggles and jiggles (and more), so I'm not saying you WILL have a season-ending running injury over 50. But you WILL have small strains and soreness as you push the volume and intensity, so I'm calling those injuries that may limit your training for 1 or more workouts, or even require a few days off. Some folks don't call those real injuries, but I'm including them. If you're pushing your run boundaries, which you can absolutely still do at age 50, you're going to get niggles/injuries, the key is keeping them minimal. I still do have the opinion though, that even the best-laid plans and prep can go south, and Ive found that you'd best prepare for a running injury rather than be caught out if you're still racing hard.

I'm with you on the lots of slow, easy running. At age 50+, the more that you can tolerate without injury or risk, the better you will be for overall running health. At 50+, you MIGHT be able to get away with a minimalist running approach of least miles possible, but its wayyy riskier to do that compared to a 20-30 yr old. And speedwork at age 50 shouldn't disappear either, but I'd definitely insist it be backed by the requisite low-intensity volume.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 20, 23 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aging plays a role, but man … being super well hydrated (along w lots of electrolytes), and lots of protein, does wonders for me
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Aging plays a role, but man … being super well hydrated (along w lots of electrolytes), and lots of protein, does wonders for me

I certainly agree on the hydration + electrolytes. Anytime I finish a run depleted, I'm toast the next day. Dr. Alex has ruined my ability to suffer from poorly hydrated and fueled runs.

I eat normal protein at ~1.5 g / kg.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I dare ask about stretching here?

I still/again maintain a flexibility routine before my runs, and a mid-day practice when I get a chance

I also strength-train at least twice a week (a push day & a pull day) because the body craves squats, y'know?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
56 year old experience here. 5'11" ish (I've def shrunk from the 6'0.5"!) about 136-140lbs. I mostly cycle and dog walk. Somewhere around 45 I had to start cutting back on volume a bit. Finally when I couldnt quite reach peak numbers (even for the best few weeks each year) - I started strength training.
strength training was a whole new level of soreness compared to riding hard. As a middle school xc coach I ran about 10 weeks a year and it hurt more and more every year.
Now I lift 1x/wk all year and 2-3x from Nov-March. I run about 15 miles/wk for the same time period. I try very hard to get half of the run on trails with the dog. In a bout of true crazy - I'm gearing up for a turkey trot 5k with only 4 weeks or so of running. I run mostly 830 and slower miles but I made a bet to NOT cut my hair if I could run sub 20. the 2 track workouts I did in prep said to me: some type of speed work is the only way to run faster / be very careful with too much too soon. (it also said I'm likely still 20-30 secs short of keeping my hair - bummer!)
My 56 year old experience says -
do different types of activities to preserve a lil resilience (lift all year round / might even have to do 2 trail runs/wk all year/ pickleball - NEVER!)
be patient to wait to do harder work until a longer pattern of easy has been ingrained. I def was NOT ready for speed running so soon, though i'm close now
be patient that the glory of your best approx of your fastest self will only last a MUCH shorter window (a few weeks max for me). this means giving up really hard work for a while until I can build back up slowly after a peak and the subsequent decline.

for me the same basic training ideas ring true - big volume / a lil recovery / above thresh work (lactic acid tolerance)/ several weeks to adapt = peak. I just have to build to that big volume very methodically so it doesnt kill me.
mentally i need the exercise - so i've learned to kind of enjoy lots of slow jogs/trainer rides/lighter lifts to fill the exercise craving and committing to some stretching, mobility (the hips do not like moving in any plane other than straight ahead) every night. What ever keeps the fire going for doing easy workouts (the only way I'd ever be able to build to harder stuff) is worth it in my mind - traveling for great rides/ great indoor set up etc..
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"do different types of activities to preserve a lil resilience"

May your God bless you for NOT using "resiliency"

"pickleball - NEVER!!!"

I've noticed that many large abandoned spaces in our area (formerly Kmart, Sears, Office Depot) are being converted to indoor pickleball facilities; because of the high ceilings I guess?

Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:

I disagree on this as well. I’ve tried several different shoes and I run about 90-100 miles a months. I always rotate shoes and my legs feel more fresh with good plated shoes especially VF3 lately. On the other hand, I developed plantar fasciitis from Asics Metaspeed a year ago and it took 8-9 months to heal. Anyway, there are pros and cons but definitely legs are less tired. I’m skinny and lost weight so basically no cushions on my feet either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More then likely you have neglected doing strength training especially applying load to tendons through high load low rep exercises.

Tendons lose stiffness as we age and the only way to maintain stiffness in a tendon is to load it through plyometrics and strength training. The Achilles and calf complex bare a lot of load in running so once the capacity starts to diminish in tendon stiffness everything up the chain will work harder.
Same applies at the hamstring, glute and knee (patella tendon)

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your running age….the pounding over the years can really have an impact. So if you started early and have run allot of miles it can easily start to catch up with you in your late 40s. If so I have found focusing on mobility can really help. Meaning, using weight training to stress the limits of your joints….but don’t over do it! I also stretch my lower back allot at the end of my swim workouts….the spine at the bottom really gets jammed together from years of running.

One big mistake I made when entering my 50s was not adjusting my training load from my 30s/40s which caused injuries and didn’t allow me to be consistent with my training…which leads to more injuries and up/down performance. So here my advice is more rest during the week and focus on overall year to year build verses trying to hit weekly mileage goals. I have even toyed with a two week plan verses a one week plan spreading the workouts over a longer period.

Food and sleep become even more important as you age. I focus on good sleep, less vodka and more balanced diet.

Good luck on your journey…the main thing is to get moving everyday.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [Tobrien55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tobrien55 wrote:
So if you started early and have run allot of miles it can easily start to catch up with you in your late 40s.

My personal experience is the opposite. People who started running around high school and never stopped do just fine in their 50's. Our bodies are both highly highly adapted to the stresses and we have a keen ability to "listen" to our bodies.

But being a "late onset" runner in your 50's is much, much harder from an injury prevention standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
In 2020, after surgery I was 142 lbs. <-----Working on getting back to this.

Can I please request that you not take the same measures to get there? ❤️

Tom_hampton wrote:
Anyone getting injured, should look at the causes, and fix them so they don't happen. As above, I'm a VERY firm believer in the lots of slow, high frequency, easy running.

This might be more individual than you think. I'm only 44, but due to tearing my right ankle apart in 2018 in a snowboarding crash, my running mechanics (which were never great) are pretty messy. The ankle never healed right, and I have severely limited dorsiflexion as a result, which throws off the entire right side of my body when running. I've never been able to return to my pre-injury mileage, even running slow and easy and incorporating lots of walking breaks, and varying surfaces and shoes. Sometimes accumulated damage means things can't be fixed enough to prevent further injuries, but fortunately I am lucky enough to be able to slog through quite long races (I did two 100 mile or greater races 10 weeks apart this fall) on only about 35-40mpw, with a peak of around 50mpw. Definitely not ideal and I know I'd finish faster and more comfortably if I could train more, but I'd rather get lower, consistent mileage (6 days/week) than try to push higher mileage and have to take time off to let things heal.

RandMart wrote:
Do I dare ask about stretching here?

I still/again maintain a flexibility routine before my runs, and a mid-day practice when I get a chance

I also strength-train at least twice a week (a push day & a pull day) because the body craves squats, y'know?

I think strength training 4 days/week is a big contributor to my ability to finish long races on comparatively minimal mileage. As for stretching, I do think I have benefited from getting back in net and stretching both on and off the ice (10-15mins of yoga a couple of times per week plus pre-game on-ice), but some of that is confounded by goaltending's unique, destructive stresses on hips and knees. If I could persuade myself to keep the mobility work and give up stopping pucks I know I'd be in better condition for it, but dammit I'm having too much fun!

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Can I please request that you not take the same measures to get there? ❤️

Tom_hampton wrote:
Anyone getting injured, should look at the causes, and fix them so they don't happen. As above, I'm a VERY firm believer in the lots of slow, high frequency, easy running.

This might be more individual than you think. !

Yes, ma'am. Once was enough.

After 40 years of running, I fully appreciate the individual nature of "what works". The intent of my expression is simply that more slow, is generally better than less fast. If you are able to do more that's better than faster. The trick is what anyone is able to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm 5' 11" , currently 161 lbs.

In 2019, I was 151 lbs.

im near same height and weight and I feel anorexic looking.... of course body composition matters. To the OP maybe do look at the diet/sleep/stress. I see many bragging they are on the SAD (McD's etc) and still can perform, but eventually will hit them like a sack of bricks
Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some really great points raised so far!

So I had a couple of remedial massage sessions and wow what a change! Legs felt instantly better the next day!! So I guess this means a few things,

-I'm getting older and whilst stretching was for old farts I'm now an old fart and need to stretch..
-Since I'm an old fart I need to incorporate strength and conditioning as it's a matter of not if but when if I continue to neglect
-Since I'm an old fart I need to focus on nutrition and in particular hydration-the last few months have been killers at work so living on 6 cups+ a day so probably dehydrated also
-Incorporate remedial massage
-Bought some new sneakers, hot tip NB 1080V13's are the ducks nuts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://dumbrunner.com/...ng-or-just-being-old

Quote Reply
Re: Am I just getting old-muscle sore [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/2021/7/27/local-man-not-sure-whether-pain-is-from-running-or-just-being-old

That is awesome!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daniel ("Danny") Glover is also well-known for "I'm getting too old for this shit!!!"

Quote Reply

Prev Next