Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pixel watch 2 w power meter?
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a pixel watch 2 and I just assumed I could pair the thing with a Bluetooth power meter and heart strap. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's actually the case. Does anyone know? I think the prior version is probably pretty much the same
Quote Reply
Re: Pixel watch 2 w power meter? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but I'm going to guess it won't work. Not an option the Galaxy watch series. Plus, the head unit of choice will likely do a much better job with better battery life.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Pixel watch 2 w power meter? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to be right. I went ahead and canceled the order, $400 for a watch that can't read a power meter or an external heart sensor is kind of silly. It seems to be more targeted towards people who keep track of how many glasses of water they drink everyday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no native support for power meters in Wear OS (or the Pixel Watch variants). However, there is one 3rd party app that has some basic support - BIPR. I haven't tried it though, but may be an option.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pixel watch 2 w power meter? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll walk away from that thing while I still can. It hasn't even been delivered yet. I would like a watch that supports music download and has LTE connectivity so I can make calls if needed. I looked at the garment but it appears that the LTE is fairly limited in functionality. The Apple watch checks all the boxes but I don't own an Apple phone and it turns into kind of an expensive proposition to switch over. Is there one that I'm missing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, Samsung is sorta in the same boat as Google, in terms of the apps available for power meter support/etc. So without an iPhone, your sport-forward choices would skew more towards the Garmin/Polar/Suunto/COROS of the world. Of course, only one (older) model from Garmin has LTE (the FR945LTE).

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. My only reason for buying an iPhone would be to support the watch. That seems like kind of a wasteful way to go through life but I guess that's where I'm at now. I want to have passive monitoring for AFib while I slumber and the ability to make a call when I'm running alone in the woods in case I get in a pickle and some music on my wrist would be a nice touch too. I like the Garmin connect just because I'm used to it but I'm sure Apple health is fine too.

So Apple watch will read the power meter? How do I get a look at the data then? Is it in Apple health or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the landscape is still a bit messy.

As for Apple Watch power meter support, yup, it was added this past summer/fall, and it records natively and supports BLE power meters (basically anything made in the last near-decade). You can view data on native Apple Fitness app, or via 3rd party apps that read it from Apple Health and push to platforms like Strava/TP/etc... more on it here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...erything-wanted.html

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay thanks, I have an old power tap hub that was replaced with the newest internals before the company was purchased I'm assuming that's probably fine
Quote Reply