Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Switzerland 2024 - Hotel Advice
Quote | Reply
I am doing IM Switzerland in Thun on July 7. I live in the U.S., but I have been to Switzerland many times. Thun is pretty much booked at this point. Does anyone have any recommendations on hotels nearby? I expect that I will have to stay in a neighboring city, which is totally fine. Looking for an option where I can get to the race fairly easily. I won’t have a car, so something that is train/bus accessible is the preference. Also prefer a hotel. Thanks so much to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2024 - Hotel Advice [S_Brooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey!

I don't know (m)any hotels in the area and I also don't know your budget. However, Thun is relatively small and therefore I can recommend you staying in:
  • Spiez (local touristic town, rather quiet atmosphere, great views at the lake but shops might close on Saturday afternoon; 8-10 minutes by train going roughly every 30 minutes)
  • Interlaken (international touristic town, moderate crowds etc.; 30-35 minutes by train going every 30 minutes)
  • Bern (local & national government city with people having their normal lives; 18-30 minutes by train going every 15 minutes)

For the train transport, install SBB app. Don't consider bus transport if you go with a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Bern or Interlaken? Either of these towns should have plenty of accomodation options.

Both should be a short train ride and if you've been to Switzerland before you know swiss trains are very reliable.
You can check train times on sbb.ch.

Also, some of the towns along Thunsee might be well connected by train such as Spiez.
And maybe you know this already but hotels don't always appreciate putting all their rooms on booking.com so it may be worth it contacting hotels directly and looking at different websites, including destination marketing websites such as myswitzerland, big chains own website such as Accor.

I've been to Switzerland many times and did the IM when it was in Zurich so I can't give more specific advice, sorry, but that's what I would look into if I was doing the race.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Oct 26, 23 1:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to the both of you. This is very helpful. I have a hotel booked in Spiez for now, but I am going to look around Interlaken and Bern as well. Really appreciate the quick replies.
Quote Reply