Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [kdevito757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, GTN did a video not too long ago where Jan Frodeno shows his training and racing data screen setup.

Good vid, but here's the payoff if you are impatient:

Training
  • 3s power
  • Speed
  • Distance
  • Timer
  • Clock (time of day)
  • HR
  • meters ascent
  • Grade
  • Temperature

Racing
  • 3s power
  • Speed
  • Cadence
  • Timer
  • Distance

Uh oh, he tracks speed! I guess Jan Frodeno is "the guy that's yet to do a triathlon" and isn't quite a "serious cyclist." Glad we have some folks here who know more than him.
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [kdevito757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What is your favorite data field layout on your bike computer when it comes to racing?
Bonus question: Do you use navigation or a best bike split power course / garmin workout file?

3s Power, Lap Power, Cadence, Heart Rate. Auto lap every 5mi (gives time split on screen) and alarm every 10 minutes to drink/eat.

Have not used navigation or BBS.
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s nice is if you have a garmin computer and Di2. I have 1-2 things on my screen and I can use di2 buttons to scroll through the screens. I have my left buttons to control the screen and right buttons to shift (syncro shift).

To answer main question, I have NP with 3 sec power, time, distance, HR and speed with avg speed. I rarely look at speed data. I look at speed out of curiosity and sometimes to help calculate/estimate finish time.
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
mathematics wrote:
[ If you're trying to win the race you better have speed displayed prominently.

I'm not sure if you're trolling because that's one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum.

Speed literally tells you nothing about how you're cycling. There are things called hills, headwind, tail wind, poor quality road, smooth road, etc. that all affect your speed. You have no control of your speed other than your power and position on the bike. This is not a metric that any serious cyclist pays attention to when racing other than when they're bombing a hill and are curious what their speed is.
Yeah it's dumb he's trolling nothing makes sense watching his speed around corners or over speed bumps... Probably better to pay attention not to crash! I removed speed from my bike computers over a decade ago as it's an irrelevant metric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 830
Screen 1
HR / Ave lap power
3 sec Power (big display)
Lap time / Lap distance
Speed / Cadence

I have the lap distance set at 5 miles so the average, time and distance reset then.
If I'm off target for any 5 mile segment I start over with the next.

Screen 2 (for totals)
HR / Ave power
3 sec Power (big display)
Time / Distance
Speed / Cadence

I haven't done any mapping for a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm relatively new to Tri, so this probably makes a difference to what I do compared to the FOP long-time athletes.

I am one of those who removed speed because I blew up on one too many runs subconsciously trying to keep a speed for the race.

I now have 10s power, avg power for lap (I build a race plan based on BBS), cadence and HR. I use a +/- 10 watts for the avg power for the lap, so I can go a little harder or a little softer for a BBS segment (lap on my 530) depending on how I feel and my HR. If it's not hot, my HR hardly matters, and I'm only worried about power and cadence.

Since removing speed I've done much better on the runs and overall for races.

I can see where a FOP, fully trained, long-time endurance athlete would benefit by having speed added to their screen. They have the training and experience to understand their bodies better than I do and can make appropriate adjustments to power/effort in both the bike and run to increase their performance for a given day/race.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
I use a +/- 10 watts for the avg power for the lap, so I can go a little harder or a little softer for a BBS segment (lap on my 530)

Do you manually hit the lap button at each new BBS segment, or is there a way to set it up to auto-lap?
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [latkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started incorporating auto lap for every 14 miles since I primarily race 70.3 (4 laps) and 140.6 (8 laps). It helps for me personally to effectively pace, and attempt to negative split the bike course (at least in terms of effort, course dependent).

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [latkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
latkin wrote:
Do you manually hit the lap button at each new BBS segment, or is there a way to set it up to auto-lap?

If the plan has 30 segments for example, like ##watts for 1.2 miles, ##watts for .6, etc., I build a "workout" in Garmin Connect with first step 1.2 miles from ##-10 watts to ##+10 watts, second step .6 miles +/- 10 xx watts, etc. and download it to my computer. Then it automatically works. I think it works automatically because it's a workout.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Share your preferred bike computer data field layout for racing [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
If the plan has 30 segments for example, like ##watts for 1.2 miles, ##watts for .6, etc., I build a "workout" in Garmin Connect with first step 1.2 miles from ##-10 watts to ##+10 watts, second step .6 miles +/- 10 xx watts, etc. and download it to my computer. Then it automatically works. I think it works automatically because it's a workout.

Oh I see, so you aren't using the official BBS data field from ConnectIQ? I guess a distance-based workout would work well, assuming your computer registers distance the same as the map that BBS used to compute your plan. The ConnectIQ field operates off of GPS waypoints, which is maybe more reliable, but as far as I can tell you can't get it to auto-lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
latkin wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:
I use a +/- 10 watts for the avg power for the lap, so I can go a little harder or a little softer for a BBS segment (lap on my 530)

I think you’re asking about 2 separate things -

On the BBS data fields there is target BBS power and distance until next target. Both of these operate well in my experience through the use of a BBS powercourse file sent from BBS to Connect and then to your Edge device through courses. (Make sure you use recommended settings listed in the BBS data field app page on ConnectIQ, this will eliminate pop up alerts and any errors you may encounter).

The lap and auto-lap is related to splits and is not standard in a powercouse file. If you want your splits to line up with your BBS power target intervals, you would need to download from BBS as a Garmin Workout file and launch the file as a workout from your Edge device. I would not recommend doing this as most BBS plans especially for the full distance have 100+ intervals, some being less than 30 seconds long. I think if you had lap alerts on for this it would be very annoying
Quote Reply

Prev Next