Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Offseason Training
Quote | Reply
This is my first "offseason" and I'm not sure how to go about continuing my training right now.

I'm not exactly sure of the races I'll be doing in 2024 except my first 70.3 in September. I think I'll also be doing the 9+1 program to qualify for the NYC marathon in 2025 so that will be 9 running races. Maybe I'll squeeze in 1 or 2 shorter triathlons as well but those wouldn't be until June/July/August timeline.

I'm in physical therapy to work on some weaknesses there.

I think I should continue to swim 3 times a week since that's by far my worst discipline. That will be a Monday, Wednesday, Friday thing in the mornings.

How often should I be running and biking during the week? Once a week each? Twice a week each?

Would also like to get back into the gym and lift before I have to dive into the real training for my race(s).

How do you guys go about your offseason?
Quote Reply
Re: Offseason Training [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I basically follow the periodization scheme in the triathletes training bible. So in the transition/prep period which I basically take as the off season. I'll take two weeks off totally. Then I when I start training I do just some weightlifting mainly, 3x a week maybe 10h/wk in total. The time off and training a little might be like 5 weeks total.

Then I'll start doing 3 week blocks of training, so after the 3 weeks I take a recovery week about 10h or 50-70% of the previous week.

I'll start base training where each block I'll increase the volume about roughly 20% each block. So this year I'll go something like 10h-13h-16h-20h-23h per week in each block in base. I'll reduce the weightlifting and I'll start doing more interval sessions. Then I go into build training blocks where I'll lift rarely and do 2-3 interval sessions a week total like 18h/wk probably until a race which I taper for. Any feedback would be nice.
Last edited by: rainstorm: Oct 25, 23 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: Offseason Training [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Historically, most of my performance gains have been made in the "off-season".

For me that was running then swimming. Typically November was getting back to regular training for running then build up a little volume in December. By Jan-Feb I was pumping out VO2 max and threshold intervals.

For swimming I would just do whatever my masters team was doing, or if on my own I'd follow the schedule in the book "Swim Workouts for Triathletes".

January I would get back on the bike and by Feb-March I'd be into VO2 and Threshold intervals.

That would progress through April-May, after that was racing season where I was just maintaining fitness.
Quote Reply