Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 owners with Aerocoach Ascalons on here?
Quote | Reply
Looking at getting the set up for my Gen 2 SC and curious what your thoughts are.

I know I will need to get the garmin mount, the water bottle bta mount and the extensions.

I do already have the bracket that is needed.

Any pros or cons of this set up besides price? I need the short version for di2 2 button.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 owners with Aerocoach Ascalons on here? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got them on my Gen 3 (so different mounting but otherwise same bars) and I have mixed feelings about them. Keep in mind I only have a few short 45-100 min rides on them so far.

On the plus side, I love the look and cleanliness of the setup. Very light too. Quality material and craftmanship (I have the titanium version).

On the negative side, my wrist are not super happy with the sharp angle before the handles - this might be the fastest way to position hand and for shorter TT's easy to hold, but for longer rides my left wrist (which is likely less flexible) - hope I get used to it.
I feel like the angles of the grip on the Wattshop extensions would be more comfy. In the latest videos from Lionel, he appears to have the same AE bars, but the handles have a more vertical angle (instead of an offset with similar angle as the extensions, requiring less wrist flexion).

Bolt pattern on the Align arm rests is not super flexible.. I find that I have to compromise. I also put the Dremel to it to extend some slots (caution: they forbid drilling/modifying the arm rests in the manual / warranty). Arm pads are a simple neoprene foam sheet. I am curious how this will feel when wet (rain or sweat) and if this will become slippery.

Garmin mount: if you have a smaller unit (Edge 500/800-series) should be fine. I ride with a 1030 (larger font for old eyes) and the mount is a bit flimsy for a heavier bike computer. Plus the Edge 1030 is Bulky and it's in the way between my arms (Trek SC Gen 3 puts the bars either very close one to another or quite far (only 2 positions possible, 40mm difference).

BTA bottle mount: quite good and light. They include a nice 50mm spacer that's very lightweight to raise the bottle if needed. My only annoyance with it is the 65 mm bolt spacing instead of industry standard of 64 mm (in case you want to use other spacers or accessories like a WolfTooth B-RAD 2). But that is specific to my case where I was hoping to use the provided spacer mounted a different way to a carbon sheet I insert under the pads instead of the provided bracket.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Any Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 owners with Aerocoach Ascalons on here? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed response. I did wonder about the hand position as well. I guess I might need to see someone's and give them a shot. I don't want to pay for the bars to come to the US and put them on and then realize that it isn't going to work for me.

Appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 owners with Aerocoach Ascalons on here? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also msg them and see if they can provide a sharper angle for the grip - that end seems 3D printed, then joined.
I say that because I just saw on one of their FB comment that they can also make extension longer, on demand.

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them on my Gen 2 SC. Love them. Just make sure you get the reach right. I had to fiddle with mine. Also, the wings can get narrow when you use the BTA so put a bottle in the cage and then adjust the wings to ensure your arms are comfortable and don't feel squeezed.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 owners with Aerocoach Ascalons on here? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, that was my question they commented on. I ended up getting the stock length and really regret the decision! I wish I had read your feedback before buying, I too bought the bars for a Gen 3 Speed Concept and after a few days of trying to make them work I have to send them back, taking a huge financial hit! I really dislike the wrist angle, the exposed Di2 cables, the arm pad material. The BTA mount is nice but not in the right location for me and the angle of the bars themselves is either too steep or not steep enough!

I'm really disappointed as I thought these would fix my Gen 3 Speed Concept issues!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I honestly don't want to pay all that money for a (in theory) a simple concept. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the demo versions that are posted. I love the look and how sleek they are, but think I will just stick with what I have. I added the tririg cups for the elbows, and the bigger area is nice-a definite upgrade from the provided bontrager set up.

I know we as triathletes get sucked into buying things based on type A personalities and the need for speed...but over 1k for an aero system is too much. Especially for it to be shipped from out of the country and the issue if it doesn't work for me (as the previous poster shared.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 owners with Aerocoach Ascalons on here? [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
Hi, that was my question they commented on. I ended up getting the stock length and really regret the decision! I wish I had read your feedback before buying, I too bought the bars for a Gen 3 Speed Concept and after a few days of trying to make them work I have to send them back, taking a huge financial hit! I really dislike the wrist angle, the exposed Di2 cables, the arm pad material. The BTA mount is nice but not in the right location for me and the angle of the bars themselves is either too steep or not steep enough!

I'm really disappointed as I thought these would fix my Gen 3 Speed Concept issues!

Yeah, so far I feel let down a bit. I spent over $2K (CAD) and I am determined to try harder to make them work haha!
I've replaced the BTA concept with a carbon sheet I hacked, installed between the bars and the arm rests. This way I can position the Garmin computer and bottle where I need it for an optimal setup. I re-purposed the Trek/K-edge Garmin mount by making a mounting arm from aluminum bar stock. Same for the bottle holder bracket from aluminum bar stock (making use of an angle grinder and drill press).

Since my bars themselves are not too far forward, no issues with the exposed wires (especially without using the Aerocoach BTA bracket that mounts under the bars). I do not like the gap between the arm rest and where the bars are getting thicker (visually) - do people really have so short forearms?

Yesterday I did my first longer ride though, and I did have issues with the arm pads material. It's thin and the screws under them are making hard spots. I do not thing the pad will last. I did order thicker neoprene (1/2 inch) from Amazon. Also using a full layer of velcro "loop" under the pad should help adding thickness and toughen it up.

Picture above is with standard 21 degree angle. I have since re-mounted with the -7 degree wedge from Trek to get 14 degrees in total (had to use a 15mm tower base instead of 30mm to get the same stack on the arm pads).

Still resisting putting up the "never assembled" Trek cockpit for sale though, just in case I give up or decide I can't work with the wrist bend on the bar. The did say they can manufacture the handles with a steeper but like you, dealing with shipping back and forth with UK, taking another hit after spending so much $ on this, I do not intend to go that route now - it would be another shot in the dark.

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow great job trying to get them to work. I just can't get them to work for me at all. I've packaged mine up and plan to send them back to Aerocoach today but I'll get hit with return shipping, a 20% restocking fee and who knows if I'll get my duties and taxes returned? Better that than have them sitting in a bin collecting dust though!
Quote Reply