Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Olympic to Full Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Would it be a an enormous and likely too taxing and unenjoyable stretch to go from Olympic distance to the full Ironman distance?

I just completed my first tri, an olympic distance.

My initial plan was to do a 70.3 this year (and maybe an Olympic and some shorter running races thrown in there) and then do a full Ironman the following year.

But was sort of thinking, why wait if the ultimate goal is 140.6? Why not just go for my ultimate goal? I have no kids, no significant other. I'm turning 34 in January, seems like as good of a time as ever to just go for it...

I should mention that I did battle some knee and shin issues in my training for the Olympic. I plan to get to a physical therapist and do what is necessary to heal/prevent those issues from coming up again hopefully.

Would I be setting myself up for a really unenjoyable experience and likely failure here? Maybe even likely injury?

Goal would be to finish with around average times in each discipline.
Last edited by: M90: Oct 10, 23 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic to Full Ironman? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did close to what you are talking about. My only regret is not waiting until I had matured as a runner a bit more.

Something like being capable of consistently running 30 miles per week. That happened a few later after the first IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your goal is simply to finish strong and you're not going to push your run volume and run pace too quickly, but are willing to follow the no more than 10% more each week rule and 80-20 rule slow to fast runs rule you'd likely be OK.

I'd highly suggest you plan from the start to run walk the marathon. 30sec walk breaks every couple minutes of running for at least the entire first half of the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not unreasonable if you do it smart. Follow a training plan, listen to your physical therapist's advice, learn about race nutrition, avoid training too hard too much at the wrong times. Race a 70.3 early/middle of the year and make sure it goes okay. Then train more for the demands of Ironman.

I agree with the idea of doing it now while you have the time and a less busy life. I did mine at age 23, would have gone better if I waited a few more years but fitting in the training was a piece of cake while living as a single guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It comes down to compete or complete. Do you just want to do an IM to say you've done it, or do you want to put yourself in a position to achieve the best result you can?

If the answer is the first option, then yes you certainly can have that has a goal for next year. If your answer is the later, than take a couple years to develop more endurance, fatigue resistance, master nutrition and hydration, and then think about doing an IM.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it depends on your goals. I've been a triathlete for 20 years and have done three IM. My first one I finished in 12:45 and thought, 'Okay, well, that just felt like a long triathlon.' I think it's very cool to say you've done one and to call yourself an Ironman, but I've been more active in the facebook groups for the individual races I do and I'm shocked at how inexperienced many triathletes are doing their first IM. Asking very basic questions about transition and aid stations. It's kind of like doing a half marathon early in your running training and then doing a 50 mile ultra. You can, but rather than set yourself up for a sufferfest, I think it's nice to have a full season of 12-14 hours / week of training built on a year or more of fitness before doing an Ironman to avoid lots of walking in the marathon and whatnot. That's just me, though. Follow your gut and best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of us jumped from Olympic to IM, mainly because twenty five years ago (when I did my first) a half was not so common (and was often called a Tin man). Now that the brand calls everything an Ironman people often have no idea what the difference is. But it is an exponential leap.

Equipment is a big aspect of moving up to the IM distance. Let's assume you have a wetsuit (or borrow one) and everyone has running shoes, so the bike is the biggie along with the Tri suit, one piece or two makes little difference. Except if you haven't tried riding 180Km it's really tough on the anatomy. If you make the bike into a comfy armchair for the hours it will take you're golden.

Go ride a loop that allows you to stock up at least every hour (parked car) and doesn't require a million stops and starts and see how you feel when you get off. If you feel you can run or walk/run for another bunch of hours you're ready. Conversely a 4 hour trainer ride should do the trick.

Your AG is pretty competitive, so for you it's not a race unless you have a sub 3 hour marathon in you off the bike or your Olympic went under 2:15.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
save your $ and do your own simulation races to prove you can do it. Better would be to do your own backyard olympic and see if you can improve your time until it stops improving, then go do a 70.3 simulation. I did my own 140.6 in 13 hours to see "if I can do it". then went 3 hours faster in an actual race because I knew what to expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've only done one triathlon(Oly Distance) and had knee and shin issues from it and ask why not ironman? You have your answer. Build your volume up...complete a half ironman...get some triathlon experience and then see if you want it go for a full ironman to brag for the rest of your life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to come back to my own development (started 4 years ago), I'd have definitely stayed much longer with sprint and olympic distances. In fact, I've never done an organised olympic distance triathlon and started directly with an extreme middle distance. I'd have rather focused on: gaining speed, gaining high VO2max, working on swim and practicing racing others than racing myself only.

As per your case, if you can dedicate 12h/week on average for a couple of months (between 8-16h/week) and if your body can handle it, and if you're not an 15h+ IM time athlete, then why not? Finishing the first IM gives you an enormous boost of satisfaction and confidence. You'd be gaining a distant perspective on yourself and your abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
Would it be a an enormous and likely too taxing and unenjoyable stretch to go from Olympic distance to the full Ironman distance?

I just completed my first tri, an olympic distance.

My initial plan was to do a 70.3 this year (and maybe an Olympic and some shorter running races thrown in there) and then do a full Ironman the following year.

But was sort of thinking, why wait if the ultimate goal is 140.6? Why not just go for my ultimate goal? I have no kids, no significant other. I'm turning 34 in January, seems like as good of a time as ever to just go for it...

I should mention that I did battle some knee and shin issues in my training for the Olympic. I plan to get to a physical therapist and do what is necessary to heal/prevent those issues from coming up again hopefully.

Would I be setting myself up for a really unenjoyable experience and likely failure here? Maybe even likely injury?

Goal would be to finish with around average times in each discipline.

It’s entirely achievable if you approach the training in a measured way and give yourself sufficient time (6-9 months, preferably 9).

I went from never having done a triathlon and not having any substantial swim / bike / run experience (but exercising every day), to booking an IM and doing a 10hr 35mins.

Before I booked it, I did 3 months training and a DIY half Ironman. Once I got through that, I knew I could withstand training and knew if I trained properly a decent effort would be achievable. I then followed a 12 month (free) plan from Triathlon 220 online with two 70.3s in the run up.

If you have issues resulting from running you can mitigate this in your planning, assuming (entirely arbitrarily) your goal is 12 hours on a reasonably flat course, there is no reason to be running 3-4 times a week, 2 quality sessions is sufficient.

In terms of the time commitment, now is the time. If you end up having kids it becomes a different game (especially more than 1 child).

If it excites you then just get it done. If it doesn’t excite you and you think it will feel like a chore then don’t do it.

But, choose an event which doesn’t sell out quickly, that way you can afford yourself a few months of training before you confirm your body can take the load before booking.

In summary - if it feels right then go for it! (but don’t get drawn into panic induced ridiculous training weeks and 4x runs a week, it simply isn’t necessary)
Last edited by: PJH: Oct 10, 23 13:44
Quote Reply