Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is tyr swim skin legal in kona (any good?)
Quote | Reply
Hi looking at the tyr swimming for kona , but it feels a lot like a wet suit
Is it legal and is it any good ?
Thanks
https://www.tyr.com/...ue-pro-swimskin.html
Quote Reply
Re: Is tyr swim skin legal in kona (any good?) [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It says it's USAT legal, so my assumption is that it would be.

The fabric of skins can definitely feel like a wetsuit, but the key piece is that they're a textile, not neoprene, so you get minimal buoyancy and significantly less heat retention.

Good luck in Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Is tyr swim skin legal in kona (any good?) [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
It says it's USAT legal, so my assumption is that it would be.

The fabric of skins can definitely feel like a wetsuit, but the key piece is that they're a textile, not neoprene, so you get minimal buoyancy and significantly less heat retention.

Good luck in Kona!
Thanks
Yes that’s part of the reason I asked the question
As it has Yamato (spelling) on the legs which is the rubber used in wet suits ???
Quote Reply
Re: Is tyr swim skin legal in kona (any good?) [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:

Thanks
As it has Yamato (spelling) on the legs which is the rubber used in wet suits ???

Yamamoto is a company, not a single product, and you are right that this company is famous mostly for the rubber used in wetsuits.

The link you've sent says "Yamamoto textile" if it was a wetsuit material it would say "rubber" or "neoprene".
If it's textile it should be ok.

The rule for swimwear in non wetsuit swims is as follow:
Quote:
Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting, and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon or lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene); (DSQ)

If you're still having doubts, you could maybe email Tyr and the race organisation?
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Oct 5, 23 0:00
Quote Reply
Re: Is tyr swim skin legal in kona (any good?) [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
ironpo wrote:

Thanks

Yamamoto is a company, not a single product, and you are right that this company is famous mostly for the rubber used in wetsuits.

The link you've sent says "Yamamoto textile" if it was a wetsuit material it would say "rubber" or "neoprene".
If it's textile it should be ok.

The rule for swimwear in non wetsuit swims is as follow:
Quote:
Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting, and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon or lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene); (DSQ)

If you're still having doubts, you could maybe email Tyr and the race organisation?
Thanks
Quote Reply