Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most Aero Front Hydration System?
Quote | Reply
Looking to add a hydration system to the front end of my Cervelo S3 with clip on aero bars.

Would something like the Profile Design FC35 be good?

Stealth Parts?

or the classic xlab torpedo?

Open to other suggestions as well!

Thanks!
Last edited by: M90: Oct 3, 23 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: Best/More Aero Front Hydration System? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that the Profile Design Aeria tested very well for QR when they were developing the V-PR frame.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero Front Hydration System? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're worried primarily about aero then the front hydration system is outdated and slow. They have a watt penalty. A bladder down the front of the kit is the way to go. Almost always an aero gain, i.e. faster with it than without it.

If you're going with a front hydration system there isn't a worthwhile difference between a fancy system and a well placed bottle cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero Front Hydration System? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we need a whole new thread so I don't risk hijacking this one..... but where are we at with hydration locations and strategies these days?
I've been using the Aeria for a while now. IMO I dont see how having a standard cage and bottle would have a lesser penalty if you need to sit up to drink anyways. Am I wrong in that? with the aeria I can simply grab the straw while staying aero.

The upside to the aeria is refilling it on the go, what would the solution be for bladders down the suit? How are you fueling and hydrating from aid?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero Front Hydration System? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Maybe we need a whole new thread so I don't risk hijacking this one..... but where are we at with hydration locations and strategies these days?
I've been using the Aeria for a while now. IMO I dont see how having a standard cage and bottle would have a lesser penalty if you need to sit up to drink anyways. Am I wrong in that? with the aeria I can simply grab the straw while staying aero.

The upside to the aeria is refilling it on the go, what would the solution be for bladders down the suit? How are you fueling and hydrating from aid?

Most guys don't try to fill the gap anymore. Getting your elbows together and forward helps rotate your shoulders inward for less frontal area. Then you put the bottle above and behind your arms. There's not a big penalty for the 5 sec it takes to drink. Aerocoach did a test and the bottle actual won but it was like tenths of a watt. Putting the bottle behind your arms help hide it from the wind and shield your chest a little bit.

Bladders are like 2-3L, if you need to refill just grab a water bottle on course and put it on the cage. I usually run concentrated Gatorade/maltodextrin/fructose in the bladder and a plain water bottle to thirst on the cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero Front Hydration System? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the bottle behind elbows was marginally better than what alternative?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero Front Hydration System? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember exactly but it hung down in front of the stem a bit. The point is that bottle vs hydration system are both a very slight penalty and probably not more than a couple watts either way.

IMO any time you save by being able to drink without moving is lost by having to awkwardly fill it up.
Quote Reply