Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Muncie 70.3 moving to July
Quote | Reply
Anyone with insider information on why they are moving Muncie 70.3 back to july ? was previously in july then in september for a few years, now in 2024 will be july again?
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie 70.3 moving to July [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:
Anyone with insider information on why they are moving Muncie 70.3 back to july ? was previously in july then in september for a few years, now in 2024 will be july again?

No insider information here, but the summer w/ IM races in the Midwest became pretty sparse once WI703 moved to September and Steelhead ended. It was really just Ohio in mid-July. That said, having it a single week before Ohio seems an odd choice.

Also, the weather in the fall here is super hit or miss. This year it was sunny and uncomfortably warm. Last year it was like 40deg. In July, you know it's going to be hot and you can plan on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:

I'll probably consider Michigan instead now. I don't like cold, but I'm also not crazy about Muncie in July. Early June would have been better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie is a terrible venue to begin with. July only makes that worse.

The only year I did the race (like 2013ish) the course was shortened because the water was 80+ and temp was around 110. Just miserable plus humidity. Hard pass
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie 70.3 moving to July [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Muncie once in July and once in late September (non WTC, somewhat similar course). July is gross. I’m signed up for my first Michigan and am excited! Weather was perfect this year…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie 70.3 moving to July [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Muncie is a terrible venue to begin with. July only makes that worse.

The only year I did the race (like 2013ish) the course was shortened because the water was 80+ and temp was around 110. Just miserable plus humidity. Hard pass

Late May or early June would have been better. It's probably still wetsuit legal that time of year, which does make the swim faster. That does matter to a lot of people signing up for races.

The year I did Muncie it was mid June and hot. It was non wetsuit legal and I had a PR swim at the time.

They had 879 finishers. I don't see moving it to July as a means of adding to the numbers, in fact I think IM probably cratered this race once and for all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie in July and Louisville in August - solid line up for the midwest folks!
Quote Reply