Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor training accessory setup?
Quote | Reply
Looking for ideas on the accessories for longer training sessions? I have the trainer, rocker plate, treadmill. I've got a dedicated TV over the treadmill... Right now I'm using a surface pro for the bike, attached to the tri bars. I don't like that setup, I'm trying to decide what to do for a TV setup for the bike.

But, I don't have any tables, etc.

Most of the setups I've seen have some version of the wahoo table (or a knock off) out front. Shane Miller (gplama) has a second table on the side for stuff also.

I have a dedicated room, so space is not my first concern.

What cha got?
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training accessory setup? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have the TV mounted on a hinged wall-mount and can direct it towards the treadmill or the trainer/rollers. Might be an option if your set up allows. If not, put your surface pro on the table.

Side note: table is useful for the trainer, not so useful for rollers. Especially if it's wheeled and you have a brain failure and make a grab for it.

You don't mention fans, but I'm assuming you are well covered in this area?

Mirrors? Useful for checking form for rowing, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training accessory setup? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fans: yes...I'm good there. Dedicated 24" lasco fans. They are setup as smart fans so they come on automatically and adjust speed based on intensity.

The TM tv is mounted pretty high. I tried facing the bike towards it, but it's too high to see comfortably. So, I think, I'll get a 32" or so dedicated TV for the trainer setup---Mounted at a lower height. The surface pro is 13", so it's pretty tiny. I'm not planning on keeping it long term. I looked at one of those mantel mounts.... But, they cost more than a TV.

Mirrors is a good idea. Thx.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 1, 23 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Fans: yes...I'm good there. Dedicated 24" lasco fans. They are setup as smart fans so they come on automatically and adjust speed based on intensity.

The TM tv is mounted pretty high. I tried facing the bike towards it, but it's too high to see comfortably. So, I think, I'll get a 32" or so dedicated TV for the trainer setup---Mounted at a lower height. The surface pro is 13", so it's pretty tiny. I'm not planning on keeping it long term. I looked at one of those mantel mounts.... But, they cost more than a TV.

Mirrors is a good idea. Thx.

I have a 50" TV that I use(d) for Zwift when I was really into it. It's good stuff, but honestly, it's probably worth passing over that and getting a Wahoo-style bike table with a table holder slot. The screen size of the tablet ends up being as big in field of view as the TV since it's so much closer to your face, and tablets are so much better than most TVs in controls, bluetooth pairing, and everything else outside of sitting on a couch in a living room watching TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training accessory setup? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I'll keep a pc nearby. I might replace the surface pro with an Alienware alpha r2 and bt kbd/mse. The surface pro kbd/TouchPad sucks when it gets sweat on it. One of the main reasons it hasn't worked so well attached to the bike. I just got the play controllers.... And I like those a lot for in-game controls.

I use ant+ mostly, except for the zwift play controllers.

What have you done otherwise for convenience items... Keeping things within reach, etc? Things that just reduce the friction a bit?

I saw gplama added a power strip and usb ports to one of his two tables. Phone holder for the companion app? Other ideas?

Hydration is definately becoming a thing as rides are getting longer, and zwift makes those mentally tolerable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Zwift-like table in front of my bike. I put my TV remote, fan remote, phone (I run Trainerday now) and water bottle(s) on it. These tables have 2 round slots for water bottles that work well, don't obstruct view forward.

My setup is in the garage so I do have a nearby plastic shelf that has the rest of my many water bottles on it, and I do use it. But I'm sure you could just put 2 bottles on your bike in the bottle cages, 2 on the table, and you should be good for 3-4 hrs without having to get off the bike to swap 'em out.

That plastic shelf also has a stack of small towels I use to wipe my face during the workout, I'll go through a lot of 'em. So it probably does help to have more than one flat surface nearby to store stuff.

I haven't added a power/usb to my tables but I don't have anything requiring power on my table other than my phone. Obviously my TV and fan have their own power circuit separate from my table.

I've been surprised with how 'simple' the setup can be, much like the ones you see pros like Lionel etc using on their youtube. All the extras don't seem to add a lot to the indoor riding. Main things are FANS (super important) which you have, a tablet or laptop or other video device (again you don't need a big TV like mine to have a good experience) and water nearby. You don't need a rocker plate, and depending on what you're doing you might not even need a fancy trainer.

I'm currently running a broken Cervelo frame (built in RD hanger cracked, can't mount a RD anymore) in singlespeed (so I don't run Zwift with this bike - I have to use my 'real' bike for Zwift) but since Kickr does erg mode I never need to shift anyway. Works well for what I'm doing now, which is a Trainingpeaks plan with structured stuff. I suspect once my outdoor season is mostly done I'll be occasionally racing on Zwift with my other bike on the trainer to keep racelike efforts going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a big TV on the floor

Works great if sitting up or in aero position

I have this table on the side. Adjusts up and down as well as rolling out of the way if needed

Drive Medical 13067 Adjustable Non Tilt Top Overbed Table With Wheels for Hospital and Home Use, Standing Desk, Silver Vein https://a.co/d/01L5mgk
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 1, 23 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my TV mounted on a bard door slider. So we slide it from bike to treadmill to workout area. Took some creativity to get cords to extend and retract but works well.

Two fans, low and high.

External speaker system. I have 2017 Kickr. They weren’t very quiet.

Quote | Reply
Thanks, again.

I think I'll make a bottle holder attachment for my TM arm. Since my TM and bike are side by side, I can use it for both. I must drink a lot more. I need nearly two bottles an hour. So, I'd need 7+ for a 4 hour ride.

I already have a rocker plate. It's certainly not a game changer, but every bit helps. It actually rocks and moves fore-aft. I don't like sitting on a fixed trainer for over an hour. I mostly grew up riding rollers when indoors. I've just never adjusted to fixed trainers, even though I've had one since 2001? I still have my rollers somewhere.

The usb will probably be used for charging crap on the bike as much as anything....lights, garmin head unit, radar, etc. Also the zwift play controllers need to be charged... Then the phone, of course. Ac power probably isn't crucial, but hopefully it helps with some cable clutter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a two TV setup. One is for Zwift (bike or treadmill) and the other is for watching something else. I use an AppleTV for Zwift - very simple and easy to use. Only thing I dislike is the Apple remote. Fan in front and one wall mounted behind that can pivot to face my bike or treadmill. I have a knock-off table from Amazon that works well - has two bottle holders that are integrated.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training accessory setup? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I have this table on the side. Adjusts up and down as well as rolling out of the way if needed

Drive Medical 13067 Adjustable Non Tilt Top Overbed Table With Wheels for Hospital and Home Use, Standing Desk, Silver Vein https://a.co/d/01L5mgk

I'm also using the Drive table. I don't use aerobars with the trainer, so I've got mine in front of my bike instead of on the side...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor training accessory setup? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I have my TV mounted on a bard door slider. So we slide it from bike to treadmill to workout area. Took some creativity to get cords to extend and retract but works well.

Two fans, low and high.

External speaker system. I have 2017 Kickr. They weren’t very quiet.

You can't share that idea and NOTpost pics!

This sounds really cool.
Quote Reply