Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Things to do in Boston (Marathon...)
Quote | Reply
Didn't really want to post on the LetsRun forum......

So will likely be going to Boston Marathon '24. Have been there once before a couple years ago, but as it was my first time I was pre-occupied with the logistics, getting my registration kit, etc etc. Didn't spend much time enjoying Boston. We did see a Bruins game and went to the aquarium, that was it.

This time around I'd really like to do/see some fun stuff with the family. We'll be staying downtown, but happy to Uber to wherever. What are some places/things we should check out? Great restaurant recommendations?

Thx!!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Sep 28, 23 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boston (Marathon...) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mikeā€™s cannoli House in North Boston is world famous and is seriously worth a visit. Maybe after race or get to put in fridge for after! Unbelievable cannoli! North Boston has amazing Italian restaurants too. After the big dig that side of town gentrified and is seriously awesome and is walkable from downtown.

Boston public library is worth checking out just off Boylston.

Quincey market amd Faneuil Hall is fun and good food.

Cheers is worth it IMO. And that spot is Back Bay which runs parallel to Boylston and has become cool spot for pop ups like Brooks etc. Tracksmith is on that street. Really great race week vibes.

Beacon Hill is really cool neighborhood and we stayed there 2022. It was really cool spot. And only 1k walk to buses. Lots of history and some awesome indie coffee shops.

Across river is Harvard, MIT and is cool. I like university architecture and history and just seeing younger generations learning. Gives me hope (we need some i reckon!)

Of course the freedom walk is worth it and will take you to Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall etc. It really will show you all the top spots. I think its 8k total but you can cut it.

Yes, the Fenway party after race is worth it if you are into that thing in the slightest. My wife who could care less about baseball loved it.

If you are racing? Take your racers in a bag and wear old shoes to start. And take a garbage bag to sit on. It can get wet and muddy if it rained. That said 2022 they had the bussing to your start time way tighter and i was only in village for 30 minutes.

Boston is the BEST. Love that race. Given the new Q times released i think my times in Boston are over sadly.

Enjoy. Just please dont cheer for the Bruins. Signed, lifelong Leafs fanšŸ˜€

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boston (Marathon...) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, appreciate the info!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have young kids, the children's museum is worth a visit as its one of the best kids museums I've been to.

I'm not sure if they moved packet pickup but when I went the first time, the kids' museum was right next to packet pickup, so invariably everyone with kids went there before/after. It was funny seeing a bunch of people who are obviously competitive runners congregate outside of the usual race context.
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 29, 23 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Mikeā€™s cannoli House in North Boston

Oh gawd . . . it's Mike's Pastry in the North End.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My standard recommendation is to do a Duck Tour, they are pretty fun if you get a good driver. Hits a lot of the spots you'd see on the freedom trail. Less pre-race time on the feet.

The other recommendation for Mike's is also a popular choice. If you have any pre-race running to do and your hotel happens to be nearby my favorite place to run is Castle Island.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

Boston is the BEST. Love that race. Given the new Q times released i think my times in Boston are over sadly.

I just received my non-acceptance letter. A 5:29 cushion isn't going to happen until my next AG in three years and if I'm lucky enough to still be running.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boston (Marathon...) [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
rhys wrote:

I just received my non-acceptance letter. A 5:29 cushion isn't going to happen until my next AG in three years and if I'm lucky enough to still be running.

Sorry to hear that. :(
I was lucky to be able to do a reasonably flat marathon, about 350ft, that gave me a little over 6 mins cushion. Never thought I would actually need that much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend a day walking around the Seaport. Tons of good restaurants, shopping, etc. If you're a beer guy check out Trillium Brewing's taproom - it's not their actual brewery location but the beer and food are excellent. Harpoon Brewing is also in the Seaport - not as trendy as Trillium but one of the innovators of the IPA style and a fun tour. I think Lord Hobo Brewing has a spot out there now too, although I haven't been yet. Hit The Barking Crab for casual seafood or Legal Harborside for a more traditional restaurant experience. It's right on the water with cool views of the harbor. Also the Children's Museum and the Institute of Contemporary Art are in the Seaport. Mastro's, Ocean Prime or Moo for steaks. Empire for Asian fusion. Literally dozens of restaurants in that area.

Blue Man Group at the Charles Theater is always fun.

Museum of Science in Cambridge is a good family take.

Museum of Fine Arts is worth seeing.

Agree with the Duck Tour recommendation as well. You'll get a lot of history and sightseeing in a short amount of time with no walking. They also leave from the Museum of Science so you could combine those two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Museum of Science if you have elementary age kids.

I always recommend CafƩ Victoria over Mike's for North End desserts. Mike's is always packed whereas CafƩ Victoria allows you to sit and enjoy your cannoli along with an expresso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duck tour, Freedom Trail, Children's Museum, walk Newbury street for brunch and shopping.

Personally, I prefer Atlantic Fish Company on Boylston over Legal.

Fire and Ice for the all-you-can eat post race pig out.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll suggest the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

I grew up around Boston, and somehow never went there as a kid. Finally went last year at marathon time, and loved it.

https://www.gardnermuseum.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boston (Marathon...) [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll suggest the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

I grew up around Boston, and somehow never went there as a kid. Finally went last year at marathon time, and loved it.

https://www.gardnermuseum.org/

Get there while they still have some works left;)
It would actually be a very fun visit if you listen to the stolen podcasts ahead of time.
I'd be curious if the museum has tried to market itself based off the thefts (I realize its embarrassing, but there is not such thing as bad publicity), in terms of it is arguable one of the worlds greatest unsolved crimes, very interesting in and of itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boston (Marathon...) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh gawd is right. Canā€™t believe i fucked that upšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply