Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 groupsets
Quote | Reply
With the introduction of the new 12-speed di2 groups, I was expecting to see a glut of 11-speed groupsets on the used market. That hasn’t happened, so I’m curious why. Did y’all move to disc brakes and sell your old bikes complete? Or not bother to upgrade at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 groupsets [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my ultegra set is like 6-7 years old and have never given me a hitch of trouble, so I've never felt the need to upgrade

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-speed has plenty of gear options for me. Even with more pedestrian w/kg, i rarely need my 32t, much less a 36t. And were i really in need of one, i’d do fine with a 11-speed 11/36t cassette.

That said, I am selling a 11-speed Ultegra shifting group here (just need E-tube wires), and I will soon have a set of Dura Ace 9150 Di2 FD/RD for sale as well ($475 shipped). Reasonable offers will be considered for both.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 28, 23 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no immediate plans to upgrade from 11-speed Di2. I do not like the 12 speed cassette options. I race with a 12-25 cassette. The closest 12-speed ratio cassette is 11-30. That is a big downgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure I'll come off as a dinosaur but I see no upside in 12 speed groupsets, only a RIDICULOUS cost whether SRAM or Shimano. They're heavier and generally have worse gearing options without getting an aftermarket cassette or chainrings especially for tri/tt. SRAM's 10t sprocket and inefficient chain (and power meter integrated into the chainring, plus limited large chainring sizes) is a complete nonstarter on any non-gravel bike for me. Shimano's only selling point on 12 speed is fewer wires, you can get 11-30 or 11-34 in 11 speed if you want and you still need aftermarket crank/rings to run more TT/tri gearing (and to have an accurate power meter).

So what exactly is the value prob for spending thousands on a road or TT bike? Granted I'm all rim brake, so the improved disc brake calipers and design on 12 speed doesn't apply to me. But still, that's a lot of cost just to improve brake rub (and again, there's aftermarket rotors and pads which help).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a ton of miles on both 11 and 12 speed. 12 speed is just a click better in all ways except maybe weight :) . I run 11 speed cranks on my bikes. Is upgrading worth it? Only if budget really allows. The brakes on 12 are incredible. Other than that 11 speed certainly is fantastic.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply