Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Copy Cleat Position to a Different Shoe
Quote | Reply
Hi there!

I've been riding with very cheap aliexpress' pair o shoes with no problem at all...
Recently, I upgraded to a nice pair of carbon shoes, which are lighter, more aero, more comfortable and more stiff (not as much as I expected).

The problem is: they hurt my knee, just below the joint, closer to the fibula head, after every other ride. I've dealt with ITBS in the past and it does not look like the same.
It's pretty clear that the problem is related to the shoe and not a injury, because my knee only hurt with the new pair.

Same (custom) insoles on both shoes, tried to mimic cleat position on both pairs but apparently I failed.

Could you guys suggest a technique to copy cleat position to a different pair of shoes?
Or are there other factors that I may be missing here?

Thans
Quote Reply
Re: Copy Cleat Position to a Different Shoe [labtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me the easiest solution (25€) was to buy the Cleat adjustment tool from Ergon

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Copy Cleat Position to a Different Shoe [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's cool, it's new for me.

A DIY version of this tool seems to be doable.
Thanks
Last edited by: labtri: Sep 25, 23 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other issue is that the sole thickness of the new shoes might be significantly thinner than the AliExpress ones.....so you have effectively raised your saddle height.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Copy Cleat Position to a Different Shoe [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fact they are thinner.
Maybe dropping the saddle by 2-3mm is a reasonable test too.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had traced out the cleat position bottom of the shoe on Look cleats to get the same positioning, but that's not going to help you right now. possible to leave them loose, have a friend asses what your normal position would be on the trainer, tighten them up and see?
seat height alteration due to new shoes could be it too, but my thinking is more a lateral adjustment.
A decent bike fitter will be able to help if all other self help efforts fail. good luck labtri!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Copy Cleat Position to a Different Shoe [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I traced cleat position on my old shoes, so it's easy to place new cleats on the exact same position.

I'll try a homemade alternative of the cleat positioning tool that was mentioned on this thread.

Thanks for your input!
Quote Reply