Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit?
Quote | Reply
So looking (again) at the many option of trisuits of the next Ironman races coming up.

Considering how much faster are the top-of-range fastest/slickest triathlon suits out there, vs the mid/low range suits.
I know MANY factors are important, but stroke-over-stroke, completely equal comparision, same rider, same position, let´s say super flat course at 40 kmh.

For example, and as Danish FUSION seems to be doing well with Laidlow, Ditlev & Bækkegaard, just to name a few, and I have been using this brand for 12+ years, comparing these two suits below:

Left is the FUSION Speedsuit V2 (on Bækkegård) at EUR 240 retail and on the right is FUSION TEMPO Suit (on Ditlev) retails EUR 400.

Maybe somebody did tunnel testing or can share some data, not necessarily on those two models, but in general top- vs mid-range. TIA

Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they might even test the same in the wind tunnel, but the more expensive could be more comfortable, and thus faster, in the real world
Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own the Speedsuit V2 - and that is by far the most comfy suit I have ever worn, in all three sports TBH.

jollyroger88 wrote:
they might even test the same in the wind tunnel, but the more expensive could be more comfortable, and thus faster, in the real world
Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:

Or the opposite, you sacrifice a little comfort for being super fast, which I think i read was the deal with the Fusion suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one that fits you better will be faster. Wrinkles add drag. We saw what happened in Ero's aero sleeve test when the ridges get too stretched. Some people will get them tailored.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - and that makes heaps of sense. But what about "slick" material, as we see it in Aero-socks ?

mathematics wrote:
The one that fits you better will be faster. Wrinkles add drag. We saw what happened in Ero's aero sleeve test when the ridges get too stretched. Some people will get them tailored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Interesting - and that makes heaps of sense. But what about "slick" material, as we see it in Aero-socks ?

mathematics wrote:

Slick aero socks probably won't have an advantage over shaved legs. The benefit comes from the ridges reducing the boundary layer and keeping airflow attached to the surface longer.

As a rule the materials should lay on your skin as flat and smooth as possible. Well-designed textures can be faster, but the odds of accidentally wrinkling your skinsuit in a way that makes it faster are basically zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:

Under appreciated bit on suits. I've used several different brands and comfort, heat venting, and unrestricted breathing make a HUGE difference. 1 of my team suits which looks the best and is the cheaper option I can only wear in early season because it gets so warm.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, in non-wetsuit races, would you wear a swim skin suit over a Tri suit, or is a Tri suit alone just as good as a swim skin?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you gave me one I would wear it. But I never found a good reason to spend my hard earned money on one

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Just curious, in non-wetsuit races, would you wear a swim skin suit over a Tri suit, or is a Tri suit alone just as good as a swim skin?

A few trisuits use a swimskin like material in them. I would personally wear a swimskin w/the trisuit all the way on vs trying to put it on when wet

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not an expert here, but I have seen several videos on YT, proving the benefits of a swimskin over a trisuit in the water. But we are taking a few secs per 100m or max a couple of mins in an Ironman. That you need to weigh up against the time to get it off in T1...

For myself, I can say, that swimming in above FUSION Speedsuit V2 has the consequence of taking in water on the front, where as my Sailfish Rebel swim skinsuit is much more closed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
....... we are taking a few secs per 100m or max a couple of mins in an Ironman. That you need to weigh up against the time to get it off in T1...

A swimskin should take about :02-:03 max to get off. Even if you only save :01/100 with the swimskin the math still works out

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In theory yes - unless you are Frodeno or Rasmus Henning :) the latter, who wore the swim skin all the way to T2 in Kona, one year ...

desert dude wrote:

A swimskin should take about :02-:03 max to get off. Even if you only save :01/100 with the swimskin the math still works out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comfort matters

A top suit "may" be a little faster, but you still have to run at the end of the day. Faster on the bike doesn't mean faster overall if the suit is slower on the run.

A good snug fit on the bike that you can run in is always fast. The wild card is how hot/cold is a suit depending on conditions. A fast suit that gets too hot makes it an expensive slow suit overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To follow up even more, I've seen custom tailored/made suits that cost 4 figures test slower, significantly slower, than an off the rack suit while in the wind tunnel.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero advantage of a top trisuit vs mid-range suit? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken, mate - thanks! My Speedsuit V2 fits super well, and has some good strategic pockets for gels on the run. Will stick to that.
Thanks again!

desert dude wrote:
To follow up even more, I've seen custom tailored/made suits that cost 4 figures test slower, significantly slower, than an off the rack suit while in the wind tunnel.
Quote Reply