Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know, there must have been some men running in these shoes as well, and apparently none of them did that amazing?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
So, I'm not planning to buy it but I'd definitely keep my eye on it for sales over the next year.

The price of $500 is interesting. It's so high that their volume will be very low. They must have significant tooling cost on this shoe, so if they don't have enough sales volume, their tooling isn't paid for. That suggests to me.... they will introduce a cheaper version in the same format down the line? Maybe with a full carbon plate instead of tubes? Maybe with a different upper sewn to it? Maybe I'm all wrong....

The other thought is, when you factor how much time you spend training for saving a few minutes, I can see some people rationalizing this being worth it.

It's probably a better or at least as good a value then a Deboer wetsuit right? If the shoe is all its cracked up to be, non sponsored pros should race in them. Nike hasn't been keen to sponsor pro triathletes, which I assume means they are buying shoes if they use Nike or like Sanders with Adidas. Why not buy this if it buys them a minute? That can easily pay for itself in prize money if it moves Sanders from 2nd to 1st in Michigan, right?

Just a tought on the carbon tubes. I assume this allows the shoe to have lateral torsion like our feet normally have, vs a carbon plate that forces all the metatarsels and foot to work together because the entire plate only bends together, which is not what the foot naturally does. The tubes actually seem like a biomechanically good thing allowing the shoe to work more naturally with the foot roll from the outside of foot to inside to push off

Also, and possibly more importantly, carbon rods instead of a plate avoid a patent infringement claim from Adidas' biggest rival.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DoronG wrote:
Runorama wrote:
Oh no, the foam is fine. But I have ha pair of VF1 with 500 miles and still a good 2mm of rubber on them.

I find that the VF lose a lot of the bounciness of the foam after 100-200 miles (though I had a pair I ran to 400) and I went through the rubber at the forefoot after 200 or so.
AF feels much more durable, my theory is the air cushion that doesn't get compressed over time. But just as likely its all placebo

I have the alphafly, vaporfly, invincible, supercomp, fresh foam more v4, bondi, and the adizero. I have some osteoarthritis in my right knee so I’m trying different shoes with outrageous cushioning to see what gives me the ability to keep running. The adidas adizero is the strangest shoe ever. The upper material sucks, and I’ve actually ‘fallen’ off the shoe twice! However it is an extremely comfortable and responsive shoe once you get going (don’t drive with them on, too difficult to determine where the brake and accelerator are). For road feel and speed it directly compares to the alphafly. It is not the shoe to do a track workout in!
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
ohanapecosh wrote:
I can't believe how little media coverage there has been about this achievement.

Like the previous poster said, this is on par with Kipchoge's achievement. He has been lauded non-stop by the newspapers. Where is the coverage of this athlete? As is my habit, I read through several newspapers this morning before moving on to Letsrun - and I didn't even know this had happened before reading Letsrun.

i think part of this is down to a sexist bias of coverage in sport, for sure. but i also think part of it is about the general sports-fan public being a bit lazy about this stuff, and liking round numbers. the 2-hour marathon is a nice marketing jingle and is easy to 'package' in the same way that the 4-minute mile is. "the sub-2:15 marathon" just doesn't fit on a t-shirt as well, and sadly when you're putting together the highlight clips for sportsdesk, that's a big factor.

Kipchoge is also a superstar with an unparalleled resume and massive following. He's probably the only distance runner that normal people can name. Assefa is a amazing runner, of course, but it's not even close to the same. Prior to this race her biggest result (per wikipedia) is 3rd in the 800m at African Junior Championships.

I'm not sure I would ascribe sexism to outsized coverage of a superstar going for a round number vs. a relative unknown breaking a WR. Furthermore, the Breaking 2 thing was a media event drummed up for coverage and money more so than it was a race. It shouldn't be surprising that an event designed for mass media coverage gets more media coverage than a race designed to be a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
So who is buying them immediately? The whole tables are messed up for running,, as this indicates she is 13:19 5k runner.

Available Today, September 26th at 10:00 am CDT

https://www.adidas.com/us/adizero-adios-pro-evo-1/IH5564.html?af_ad=MainStoryCTA1&af_adset=&af_channel=Static_Newsletter&af_reengagement_window=30d&c=adidas-US-eCom-Email-SNL-running-None-US-Static_Newsletter-Other-2309&cm_mmc=AdiEmail_SNL-_-Other-_-20230925_ReactiveBerlinMarathon17320_September_1-_-Marketing-_-MainStoryCTA1-_-dv%3AeCom-_-cn%3AStatic_Newsletter-_-pc%3Arunning&cm_mmc1=US&cm_mmc2=adidas-US-eCom-Email-SNL-running-None-US-Static_Newsletter-Other-2309&cm_mmca3=FDL0SH2APKMUMQQ0&cm_mmca4=2880060&is_retargeting=true&pid=sfmc
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
So, I'm not planning to buy it but I'd definitely keep my eye on it for sales over the next year.

The price of $500 is interesting. It's so high that their volume will be very low. They must have significant tooling cost on this shoe, so if they don't have enough sales volume, their tooling isn't paid for. That suggests to me.... they will introduce a cheaper version in the same format down the line? Maybe with a full carbon plate instead of tubes? Maybe with a different upper sewn to it? Maybe I'm all wrong....

The other thought is, when you factor how much time you spend training for saving a few minutes, I can see some people rationalizing this being worth it.

It's probably a better or at least as good a value then a Deboer wetsuit right? If the shoe is all its cracked up to be, non sponsored pros should race in them. Nike hasn't been keen to sponsor pro triathletes, which I assume means they are buying shoes if they use Nike or like Sanders with Adidas. Why not buy this if it buys them a minute? That can easily pay for itself in prize money if it moves Sanders from 2nd to 1st in Michigan, right?

They have a cheaper version already. So if anything the price of this shoe will go up due to rarity. Now all of you know my hate for carbon spring shoes, but more so my gripe is the expense here. This greatly will deter athletes knowing there is a piece of equipment they cannot afford that can help them be better, just like with bikes in tri world.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Does anyone know, there must have been some men running in these shoes as well, and apparently none of them did that amazing?

Supposedly 7th place male had the shoes, 2min slower than his PR. But betting on a single male is bad, as they may have other issues in their performance

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/...erlin-2023-marathon/
Last edited by: synthetic: Sep 26, 23 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now all of you know my hate for carbon spring shoes, but more so my gripe is the expense here. This greatly will deter athletes knowing there is a piece of equipment they cannot afford that can help them be better, just like with bikes in tri world.

You are being a bit dramatic about this matter as usual. My last pair of old school racing flats costed me about $150 here in Canada. I can get super shoes for $250. Since I only use them on race day and a couple of key workouts, they last just as much as the old school racing flats which were not very durable if you recall.

So an extra $100-150 per season is not a big deal. How much do you think an average sub-elite runner spends every year on training shoes alone?

Back to topic, I think the 2:11 gets one mention for about five-six mentions of Kipchoge's win.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Now all of you know my hate for carbon spring shoes, but more so my gripe is the expense here. This greatly will deter athletes knowing there is a piece of equipment they cannot afford that can help them be better, just like with bikes in tri world.

You are being a bit dramatic about this matter as usual. My last pair of old school racing flats costed me about $150 here in Canada. I can get super shoes for $250. Since I only use them on race day and a couple of key workouts, they last just as much as the old school racing flats which were not very durable if you recall.

So an extra $100-150 per season is not a big deal. How much do you think an average sub-elite runner spends every year on training shoes alone?

Back to topic, I think the 2:11 gets one mention for about five-six mentions of Kipchoge's win.

Racing in Tijuana, were they collect used running shoes for people running 4 min faster than your 5k, in junk shoes.. changed my perspective. Also I have worked with some highschool kids who are low income.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

To summarize: The price of the item is what the market will pay for it. There's already a waiting list to buy these.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I am not directly accusing this person, but to me there is clearly some new cocktail out there. Every single endurance sport has seen crazy performances the last few years.
Don't you think we'd have heard about it by now? If it's helping multiple people in multiple sports there's just a lot of folks that would be in the know and even the smallest whispers are shared online now with how connected we all are.

Go listen to the latest triathlon mockery podcast as to reasons why you haven’t heard about it. It’s complicated to talk about.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What specific episode?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://m.youtube.com/...RobG9uIG1vY2tlcnk%3D

Skip to 15:45
Last edited by: Sean H: Sep 26, 23 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Sep 26, 23 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"£400 Adidas 'super-shoe' going for £2,000 as first batch sells out in hours"

In case anyone was still wondering if they would sell

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...a-world-record-ebay/
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wonder... who in kona will rock these shoes?

Quote Reply

Prev Next