Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are going on a tangent here, but after Black Lives Matter, I am more scared going cycling because the colour of my skin, not because I am a cyclist. Before that I was blissfully ignorant of what biases some people have and I may be in more danger in public for no other reason that what shade the skin is.

But back to the topic at hand, maybe a better way to do this is the organizers give them the option to glue themselves to the path to the podium. Seriously, this would be waaaay better. Let the marathon happen and when the winners are invited to the podium, allow the climate activists in and let them glue themselves to the path to the podium and have all the cameras hone in on them, let them make the message and you get a a win win for all parties. I would imagine the bulk of the Berlin Marathon organizers are in the camp of taking care of the environment, and by definition, a World Marathon Major is a massive carbon footprint day given the ten's of thousands flying in to do the race, all the carbon emitting transport etc etc.

At least that is what I would do if I was the race director and I would come out looking like the winner too and bring the climate activists into my camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

being vegetarian (i'm not one) is one way to really really reduce your carbon footprint. my co-worker is one. he never told me, i just asked him after we had lunch together a few times and i saw that he didn't have any animal protein. i asked him why, he said because he wanted to reduce his carbon footprint. i already don't eat a lot of animal protein, but it did make me pause and think.... you know. of all the things i can do, this is probably the best way to reduce my carbon footprint.

do you eat bananas, cashews? cause those are shipped half way around the world on container ships doing .0001mpg. lets extinct all livestock to reduce co2 gas from them. win eh?
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is going to be like when climate change protesters managed to get the 2012 NYC marathon cancelled altogether.

Oh wait... that was climate change itself, not the protesters.

Anyway, I get being upset if you've planning for your first BQ, sub-3, PR, etc. And it's probably not the tactic I'd choose, but a) unless you're actually one of the people involved in the protests, you don't get to choose protesters' tactics; and b) "protest all you want, as long as I can ignore it" isn't an answer here.

-----

There's a trail I take near where I live (Hong Kong). Not a lot of people use it, it goes through some abandoned farm land. There are feral cows in the area - I see them on the trails fairly often. A few months ago I saw one section where the cows had really beaten up a part of the trail. I remember thinking to myself, "people would know better, than to keep using that one section that way, and risk making the whole trail unusable." Then I thought, you know, people know better than to keep heating up the atmosphere, yet here we are...
-----
I was on that trail yesterday, first time in a few weeks. We've had a typhoon and a *ton* of flooding recently. Worse flooding than HK is used to, or ready to handle. There are landslides all over the hills. This trail was still passable, but it's tight at a few spots. I don't know if it will last.
-----
So, if I'm going to get up on a soapbox, it's going to be about global warming itself, not about people protesting it.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got back to the hotel very happy with my performance today!

The protestors threw what seemed to be entire cans of paint in the first km on the road. Had to side step a few to avoid running through globs of paint.

Otherwise no disruptions that I saw

Race went down very smoothly. Fast course if a bit boring scenery.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Just got back to the hotel very happy with my performance today!

The protestors threw what seemed to be entire cans of paint in the first km on the road. Had to side step a few to avoid running through globs of paint.

Otherwise no disruptions that I saw

Race went down very smoothly. Fast course if a bit boring scenery.
Congratulations!
Super great to hear when someone is happy with their performance.

Re: the protesters. I'll bet that they used paint that contains no chemicals derived from petroleum, and that when rained on won't harm any downstream wildlife. So, they got that goin' for 'em.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to the runners who made it and had a great race!

Here is a link to some footage

Does anybody know, if these people ever had ANY success achieving ANYTHING with these protests?
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:

Does anybody know, if these people ever had ANY success achieving ANYTHING with these protests?

The success is reminding us all of our overall carbon footprint. All these things add up. Its not like they will get an direct policy or regulatory changes, but all the awareness generation chips away gradually.

It must be working because we are talking more about climate impacts than the 2:03 from Kipchoge and new 2:12 Women's world record from Tigist Assefa!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 24, 23 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it’s not perfect but I get it should be mentioned the race gives registrants the option to offset their carbon impact when checking out. I think it was 5-10 euros.

Not sure what it accounts for but it’s not nothing. I get that carbon offsets are not all they’re cracked up to be and not looking to debate. Again just putting info out there into the thread.

Oh and they also tested out some bio degradable cups at two aid stations today. They’re getting there and have a whole “follow the green line” initiative to be carbon neutral by some point or similar goal.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Sep 24, 23 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty surprised that the organizers let the pros run through the paint. I was in Wave E and then police officers had barricaded it so we had to squeeze in a bit, not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I get the marketing value these people BELIEVE this has. But to me it is almost quite opposite (not that I am anti-climate change)

It is a bit like that Rouvy commercial that kept coming on (every 5 mins) during the Augusta 70.3 yday. So god damn annoying that it makes me not ever considering buying their product!

devashish_paul wrote:
Mulen wrote:

The success is reminding us all of our overall carbon footprint. All these things add up. Its not like they will get an direct policy or regulatory changes, but all the awareness generation chips away gradually.

It must be working because we are talking more about climate impacts than the 2:03 from Kipchoge and new 2:12 Women's world record from Tigist Assefa!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
This is going to be like when climate change protesters managed to get the 2012 NYC marathon cancelled altogether.

Oh wait... that was climate change itself, not the protesters.

Anyway, I get being upset if you've planning for your first BQ, sub-3, PR, etc. And it's probably not the tactic I'd choose, but a) unless you're actually one of the people involved in the protests, you don't get to choose protesters' tactics; and b) "protest all you want, as long as I can ignore it" isn't an answer here.

-----

There's a trail I take near where I live (Hong Kong). Not a lot of people use it, it goes through some abandoned farm land. There are feral cows in the area - I see them on the trails fairly often. A few months ago I saw one section where the cows had really beaten up a part of the trail. I remember thinking to myself, "people would know better, than to keep using that one section that way, and risk making the whole trail unusable." Then I thought, you know, people know better than to keep heating up the atmosphere, yet here we are...
-----
I was on that trail yesterday, first time in a few weeks. We've had a typhoon and a *ton* of flooding recently. Worse flooding than HK is used to, or ready to handle. There are landslides all over the hills. This trail was still passable, but it's tight at a few spots. I don't know if it will last.
-----
So, if I'm going to get up on a soapbox, it's going to be about global warming itself, not about people protesting it.

Here to remind you that yes the climate is changing, yes human activity has an effect on the environment. But please remember climate is a 30 year average. So for you to remark on climate change consisting of a few data points requires 60-90 years which even then is a blip. Attributing a canceled event to climate change is entirely unscientific according to the definitions of the thing, but that seems to be par for the course in this day and age of raising awareness or influencing behvaior by abusing science.

The weather varitions from year to year have trends which can last for 100 years or 500 years and suddenly reverse for 100 years.

Some small portion of that is our impact and even a smaller portion of that small portion is all that's up for grabs with drastic changes in behavior. And if we removed all our impact magically the trend for the future does seem to be warming regardless with intermittent 100year periods of cooling, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Mulen wrote:

The success is reminding us all of our overall carbon footprint.

So if they hadn't been directed around it, people who ran through the paint would leave actual footprints?

That's kinda clever, in a misguided sort of way

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this video, and remember this thread. The proper sport to protest:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/609750391070705
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon - possible protests and disruptions [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
MattRnr wrote:
I think these kind of stunts have the opposite effect of what the protesters would actually like to achieve. It just makes them look like a bunch of wacko extremists and doesn't change anyone's opinion about climate change.

People are swayed by informative campaigns, education, and by witnessing the effects from hurricanes, wild fires, heat waves, etc., not by a bunch of crazed looking nuts harassing people, shouting, gluing themselves to the floor, or throwing paint on artwork. That's all counterproductive in my opinion.

I agree with this. And I am someone who is very aware and concerned about climate change. But this is not how to change hearts and minds.

I do sympathize with the younger generation who are protesting. I can't imagine what the future holds for them and their children/grandchildren. But disrupting marathons and bike races and other events is not going to bring much change. It only angers people. It's not an effective or efficient way to bring about change.

They likely have a future with a life expectancy greater than anyone born before at least 1980. And more creature comforts if they are in G20 countries. Even with climate change.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next