Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth: to go or not to go?
Quote | Reply
This past Sunday at Toughman I got an opportunity to register for Challenge Roth. I've been thinking about it a lot, am very much on the fence, and curious to hear from other US age groupers who have traveled to Roth with their family.

In the "yes, go to Roth!" column: I have no doubt it's an incredible, iconic race and would be an awesome experience for the whole family.

In the "no, don't go" column: my wife and I have four kids aged 2, 9, 12, and 14 and I'm sure the cost of traveling to Germany and racing Roth will add up quick. I was also planning on a run focus next season (the 13.1 at Toughman was the longest run I've done in 4 years...) with a fall marathon as my A race along with some sprint/oly/half triathlons along the way. I certainly wasn't considering a 140.6 in July until last weekend.

Can anyone ballpark the cost of a trip to Roth in July for a family of six?? I've been searching through lots of options but my estimates are all over the place.

If I decide to register, is the smart move to scrap the idea of an October marathon A race? Or could Roth be a great fitness boost if I take the race somewhat casually?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth: to go or not to go? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done Roth, I'm a father of two.

You have four kids with a wide age gap. Respectfully you and your wife need a break! ;)

Leave the kids with the grandparents or other relatives and you two go to Europe and Roth.

Then take the kids on a vacation just for them when you get back.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth: to go or not to go? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a ballpark assuming just you and your wife:

Airfare and related travel: 1,500*
Hotel 6 nights: 1500
Meals: 1,000
Rental car - no idea - 500
Entry fee - 750?
Other gear stuff - $500
Tourist stuff - $1,000

*flight from ny metro area

So about $4k to $8k depending on how you play it.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth: to go or not to go? [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

Hotel 6 nights: 1500
Meals: 1,000
Rental car - no idea - 500
Entry fee - 750?
Other gear stuff - $500
Tourist stuff - $1,000

*flight from ny metro area

So about $4k to $8k depending on how you play it.

Lobster and champagner every day?

tbh, you can eat delicious meals every day for way less.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking as someone who has done the race myself, if it's in your budget go. It's the best sporting experience I've had & that includes the likes of London Marathon, Etape du Tour & other similar mass participation events.

Unless your family are huge triathlon fans, I'd say Roth & the surrounding area might not be #1 choice for a family vacation. However, German (surrounding European) public transport is top notch so you should be able to get to a lot of places within a short-ish journey. Depends entirely what you're after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - my daughter was at Toughman!

I have done Roth 9 times so far. Many of the times were with 3 kids, starting when the oldest was 1, through last year with 3 in college. We have fallen in love with Bavaria and have enjoyed our trips which have included many excursions in the area.

On cost, yes estimates will vary greatly. We tend not to need fancy and have found it quite affordable - definitely cheaper than a trip to Disney World AND the castles are real!!

I'm a fan so maybe I am the wrong one to ask. First did it in 1989. I can't wait to return in '24!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth: to go or not to go? [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all! As I imagined there's no shortage of enthusiasm for the race itself. I'm sure it would be incredible.

Any thoughts on my second possible concern – if I race Roth in July then I should scrap the idea of an October marathon "A" race. Or, with the right recovery, I take advantage of the fitness boost of an ironman, do a short build in August/Sept, and hope to still have a good marathon in October?

I really don't know. I've done four IM. They've all be August–October and were my "A" race and my final of the season. I've never tried to do two long races in a season. I'm mostly concerned about the marathon at Roth leaving me trashed. I'm not concerned by the swim and bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth: to go or not to go? [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

This seems very optimistic - $750 round trip per person to Munich (I guess?). From my big-ish US city (east-central) RT to Munich in early July, Google Flights says $1600 per person round trip. As a father of two teenagers - so I've been there - leave the kiddos in the US and make this a parents-only vacay (but only if leaving the kiddos home does not cause *more* stress!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced Roth. Best race I've ever done.

Once you get past flight costs, vacations in Europe are generally cheaper than North America.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth: to go or not to go? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to reply earlier and apologize for being stupid. When I actually took a step back and thought about it I realized – hell yeah I'm gonna sign up for Roth!

Cost aside, it would've been dumb to pass up a chance at a race everyone says is iconic (and difficult to register for) because I was planning to do a local fall marathon that never sells out and I could easily register for the night before.

I'll figure out travel details closer to the race. For now I'm just excited I'll get to do it!
Quote Reply