Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pace difference salt water vs fresh water
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, given all things equal do you see a pace difference between salt and fresh water? I've heard differing things. I train in fresh water and almost always race is salt water, but I'm rarely training in a wetsuit and I'm always slowing in fresh water. Also, I just try harder on raceday so my pace is faster. So given all things equal is there a pace difference from salt to fresh water?

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Last edited by: csb146: Sep 19, 23 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Pace differanct salt water vs fresh water [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csb146 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, given all things equal do you see a pace difference between salt and fresh water? I've heard differing things. I train in fresh water and almost always race is salt water, but I'm rarely training in a wetsuit and I'm always slowing in fresh water. Also, I just try harder on race day so my pace is faster. So given all things equal is there a pace difference from salt to fresh water?

I think there are too many variables in open water swimming to be able to detect any difference. Personally, despite having raced in the ocean numerous times, I never even knew that salt water makes you slightly more buoyant until I read it here on ST. The diff is quite small though, much less than a pull buoy or wetsuit. The only way to say for sure would be to have a salt water pool and freshwater pool right next to each other and swim equal efforts for say 500 yds in each. I would guess the diff to be maybe 1 sec/100 yds at most. YMMV.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Pace difference salt water vs fresh water [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salt water is almost the equivalent of wearing a simsuit and for some a wetsuit.

The human body has a saltwater content that's above fresh water and slightly below seawater.
So combined with an air sac (lungs) we float better. I can get away with not kicking at all in sea water. And swim at the same speed as when kicking in freshwater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, you cannot compare a salt water pool with the ocean, 100's of times more salt in the sea. And there is a pretty big difference for some people, the non floaters like me. Some folks are just naturally buoyant and others are rocks. I find the ocean to be about the equivalent of a pull buoy or sim shorts in the pool, so about a second per 100. Others might be a bit more, some less, but everyone floats higher in ocean salt water.

And there are varying degrees of that too, the Dead Sea you can nearly walk on!!!

Of course all this supposes all things being equal, think that is what you were asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m probably about 3 seconds per 100 m faster thanks to the extra buoyancy, but I’ve only got one race (sea swim in unusually calm waters - lake-like) to “prove” it. And I’m a sinker.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my sense of rpe suggests salt (sea) is quite a bit faster, but I don't have any data on it. Now that I have dragged myself into the 20th century with a Garmin and GPS, it should be possible to actually compare pace fresh to salt.. maybe will have to try that.
The last Olympic distance tri in seawater I swam 18min versus my usual freshwater time of 23, but that was with the tides in an estuary ;-)
Last edited by: doug in co: Sep 20, 23 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Pace difference salt water vs fresh water [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for the record, I was thinking of a pool with seawater in it, not a "saltwater pool" as they exist today. Don't know if the pool still exists but when I was swimming in HS we swam somewhere on the east coast where they had a pool filled with seawater. I say we swam there but it was just for fun, not a meet or anything. The actual swim meet was held in a regular chlorinated pool. If I could recall where the hell that was, it would be the ideal place to test this out but alas all those meets blur together. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Pace difference salt water vs fresh water [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Just for the record, I was thinking of a pool with seawater in it, not a "saltwater pool" as they exist today. Don't know if the pool still exists but when I was swimming in HS we swam somewhere on the east coast where they had a pool filled with seawater. I say we swam there but it was just for fun, not a meet or anything. The actual swim meet was held in a regular chlorinated pool. If I could recall where the hell that was, it would be the ideal place to test this out but alas all those meets blur together. :)

The only fair comparison is to swim a number of intervals in a seawater pool, and the same set in a freshwater pool of the same size.
Quote Reply
Re: Pace differanct salt water vs fresh water [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
csb146 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, given all things equal do you see a pace difference between salt and fresh water? I've heard differing things. I train in fresh water and almost always race is salt water, but I'm rarely training in a wetsuit and I'm always slowing in fresh water. Also, I just try harder on race day so my pace is faster. So given all things equal is there a pace difference from salt to fresh water?

I think there are too many variables in open water swimming to be able to detect any difference. Personally, despite having raced in the ocean numerous times, I never even knew that salt water makes you slightly more buoyant until I read it here on ST. The diff is quite small though, much less than a pull buoy or wetsuit. The only way to say for sure would be to have a salt water pool and freshwater pool right next to each other and swim equal efforts for say 500 yds in each. I would guess the diff to be maybe 1 sec/100 yds at most. YMMV.

Are you kidding me? The buoyancy gain in the sea compared to a freshwater lake is MASSIVE. I feel like I have a buoyancy aid built in, and I can float on my back on the sea like on a bed, while in a freshwater lake I sink fast if I stop swimming and relax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
csb146 wrote:

The diff in buoyancy in going from
freshwater to seawater is not *super* small relative to adding a pull buoy or wetsuit, though it is somewhat smaller.

Remember that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the didplaced fluid. At 9”x6”x4” a pull buoy displaces about 0.12 cuft and thus has a buoyancy of ~7.5 lb (fresh water has a density of ~62 lb/cuft). A wetsuit averaging 3mm thickness with 1.5 m^2 of area will displace about 10 lb of water and thus have a buoyancy of 10 lb.

Seawater has a density about 2.5% greater than that of freshwater. A full swimmer’s weight is supported by the displaced weight of fresh water, so the buoyant force of changing the displaced fluid to saltwater is about 2.5% of the weight of the swimmer, or perhaps 4 lb for a lean male triathlete.

So this is pretty non-negligible - and has a nice uniform distribution over the body. But it’s probably counteracted in terms of real-world swim speeds by the effects of waves and currents, which can easily decrease your swim speed by much more than 4lb buoyancy gain increases your speed…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best experiment in feeling the difference is competing in the Laguna Phuket Tri where the swim is broken up between the ocean and a lagoon. First 1,300'ish meters in the ocean and the last 500'ish meters in the elephant bath/lagoon. You start with that ocean swim which is awesome and then you run over the beach and hit the lagoon and you can feel the difference straight away.It feels so different and so much slower.

Quote Reply
Re: Pace differanct salt water vs fresh water [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
csb146 wrote:

freshwater to seawater is not *super* small relative to adding a pull buoy or wetsuit, though it is somewhat smaller.

Remember that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. At 9”x6”x4” a pull buoy displaces about 0.12 cuft and thus has a buoyancy of ~7.5 lb (fresh water has a density of ~62 lb/cu ft). A wetsuit averaging 3mm thickness with 1.5 m^2 of area will displace about 10 lb of water and thus have a buoyancy of 10 lb.

Seawater has a density about 2.5% greater than that of freshwater. A full swimmer’s weight is supported by the displaced weight of fresh water, so the buoyant force of changing the displaced fluid to saltwater is about 2.5% of the weight of the swimmer, or perhaps 4 lb for a lean male triathlete.

So this is pretty non-negligible - and has a nice uniform distribution over the body. But it’s probably counteracted in terms of real-world swim speeds by the effects of waves and currents, which can easily decrease your swim speed by much more than 4lb buoyancy gain increases your speed…

Very nice analysis!!! I have never tried to think about buoyancy in terms of physics but what you're saying makes perfect sense. I think your last sentence conveys the reason why I have never noticed a diff, just too many damn waves!!! I'm not sure I have ever swum in a perfectly calm ocean. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Pace difference salt water vs fresh water [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My half IM times in fresh water without wetsuit seem to generally end up 1 min slower than in salt water. so that's 60 seconds divided by 19 or 3 seconds per 100m. It is a coarse estimate, but I can bank on this rough spread for a given swim fitness in a given year when I do both fresh water with no wetsuit and salt water with no wetsuit. Understood that conditions vary, but it generally works out this way for me. Also most of my salt water half IM swims were in Carribbean where the salinity is somewhat high (I believe higher than in Hawaii or west coast)
Quote Reply
Re: Pace differanct salt water vs fresh water [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
The best experiment in feeling the difference is competing in the Laguna Phuket Tri where the swim is broken up between the ocean and a lagoon. First 1,300'ish meters in the ocean and the last 500'ish meters in the elephant bath/lagoon. You start with that ocean swim which is awesome and then you run over the beach and hit the lagoon and you can feel the difference straight away.It feels so different and so much slower.

Interesting; if I ever make it to Thailand, I'll have to give this a go. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your balance.
Salt water lifts the chest, so that drops the legs, from my experience. I found it more difficult to swim w/o a suit.
The increase in density and viscosity of salt seems to be a wash - more drag offset by a better pull.

Fresh at say 70-75 deg is pretty nice.

Mythbusters did an experiment with Nathan Adrian, swimming in thick goop vs water - that was pretty cool.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
about 1-2 seconds imo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not so sure of my pace but I do find it easier to maintain good form in saltwater, which is probably due to greater buoyancy, so I imagine I'm faster. For example, I find it a lot easier to do balanced breathing in saltwater (for example, in saltwater sounds that are very similar to the lakes I swim in, in terms of depths, waves, and so forth). This is also my experience in wetsuits in freshwater, so if I had to take a guess the gains for me from saltwater relative to freshwater are probably similar to putting on a wetsuit.

I imagine someone could try to compare swim times between saltwater and freshwater courses but it would probably be difficult to control confounding variables well.
Quote Reply
Re: Pace differanct salt water vs fresh water [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having raced Phuket no wetsuit race and various races fresh and salt with and without wetsuit as an ok swimmer I think wetsuit fresh or salt makes little difference but fresh without wetsuit I definitely notice the difference. My fasted IM swim was in Taupo fresh water lake 1hr plus a few seconds. Yes you definitely feel slower in that lake in Phuket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aloha. I swim west side Hawaii Island every morning, and vacationed in Maine in August. Salt content is so different in these two states, plus the fresh water lakes in Maine added a third “water feel” sampling.
I was trained as a physiologist in school, so dug through some old texts. Found it to be mildly different for speed of swim in different waters, and it’s all about the buoyancy factor.
Trust me- one feels much more buoyant here in Hawaiian waters.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Pace difference salt water vs fresh water [Sallyswimcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sallyswimcoach wrote:
Aloha. I swim west side Hawaii Island every morning, and vacationed in Maine in August. Salt content is so different in these two states, plus the fresh water lakes in Maine added a third “water feel” sampling.
I was trained as a physiologist in school, so dug through some old texts. Found it to be mildly different for speed of swim in different waters, and it’s all about the buoyancy factor.
Trust me- one feels much more buoyant here in Hawaiian waters.[/reply]

Sea-surface salinity maps do show the Gulf of Maine is less salty than Hawaii -- typically less than 33 parts per thousand (ppt = "PSU") in Maine vs. ~36 ppt near Hawaii -- Maine is also off-scale here: https://salinity.oceansciences.org/oi-salinity.htm and this summer has been very wet in the Northeast so perhaps even fresher than normal.

However, sea-surface density maps -- based on both temperature and salinity, show similar values near coastal Maine and Hawaii (https://salinity.oceansciences.org/aq-density.htm) -- presumably because water off Maine is quite a bit colder (Where were you swimming in Maine? It's usually very cold even in August!).

edit: it looks like right near coasts, especially near big freshwater outlets (the mouth of the Kennebec and Penobscot bay), can have salinities less than 20 ppt. https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/...ype=salinity_nowcast -- salinities this low would have a notable effect on buoyancy!

Regardless of density and buoyancy differences, the tidal currents in Maine can really toss you around (I speak from experience in kayaks... presumably it's even worse as a swimmer). I don't think the same is true in Hawaii but I have only swum there recreationally, not for exercise.
Last edited by: twcronin: Sep 28, 23 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Pace difference salt water vs fresh water [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
csb146 wrote:

Remember that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the didplaced fluid. At 9”x6”x4” a pull buoy displaces about 0.12 cuft and thus has a buoyancy of ~7.5 lb (fresh water has a density of ~62 lb/cuft). A wetsuit averaging 3mm thickness with 1.5 m^2 of area will displace about 10 lb of water and thus have a buoyancy of 10 lb.

So, I finally took the time to measure my pull buoy and do the geometric calculations to approximate its volume. My PB is shaped like the Tyr PB on the right below:

As the text says, the shape of the Tyr PB is the most common on the pool deck now. Since it is an odd shape, I approximated its area by using the area of two circles representing each end of the PB, plus a rectangle in the middle, to calculate area, then multiplied by the "height" of the PB to get the approx total volume. In summary, my PB came out at 0.083 Ft3 or about 5.1 lbs of water displaced. So just about 1 lb more buoyancy than the seawater in your calculations above. However, due to waves/surf, I've never felt like I was using a small PB in the ocean. Maybe some day I'll swim in a very calm bay and feel the extra buoyancy. :)

Quote Reply