Prev Next
Re: IM Anchorage or Alaska Part Deux? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

The first year was a dismal failure.

Strongly disagree. I did the race and it was awesome. But I planned way ahead and had none of the travel or logistical issues that others complained of.

The numbers for the second year were shaping up to be dismal, but the race itself was great.

Your travel planning success aside - for Ironman, at the macro level, when a new race (that was shortened) only lasts for one year it’s a dismal failure. Just like NYC. As a result, I suspect that Ironman thinks it was anything but “great” or “awesome”.

Thanks for the Ted talk on economics. I don't really care about WTC's finances but for those of us who participated it was a good time and a great community.

To a very minor degree at least, you should care about their financial success if you want to participate in any of their future races. Because if they fail, you’ll be forced to race locally leaving your travel planning talents at bay.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Anchorage or Alaska Part Deux? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think those races died (Lake Stevens and Maple Valley) because they couldn't get #'s, they had 1500ish +/- each year, it's that nether of those towns really had the infrastructure to benefit from the races. Maple Valley does not have a single hotel, nor does Lake Stevens that I know of, so there was little to no money spent by folks coming in from out of town. They may have gotten some money at the restaurants through the voucher system but I cant imagine it was much. Then the city is left with the bill for the cops to block traffic, parks folks to clean etc. It did not make sense $$$ for either city. I'm bummed living in Issaquah both were great for me, but I understand why they didnt make it. Now having said that if anyone from the City of Issaquah or IM is reading this Issaquah would be perfect. The state park at the lake for the swim, ride out to Carnation and back, then run the trail up between it and Marymoor for the run and Issaquah has the hotels etc. I dont think there is a place in Central Wa that would generate enough interest, maybe the Tri-shitties for the hanford 70.3. No thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Anchorage or Alaska Part Deux? [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all! We're going to give it a shot. 70.3/Oly/Spr Aukeman Triathlon in Juneau, AK. 4 August 2024. Registration is open. https://aukemantri.com/race-information/

Aukeman Tri
We live and race on the land of the ÁakʟwḴwåan on Lingít Aaní.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Anchorage or Alaska Part Deux? [aukemantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, wow! Nice :) love to see it! Mendenhall Glacier is part of the bike course?!

Checking my schedule and budget to see if I can make this race work...

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Anchorage or Alaska Part Deux? [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but your statement/argument does not make any logical sense.

What is a local race for you is a destination race for me, and viceversa, don't you think? I could travel anywhere in the world, find a local race and make a vacation out of it.

You seem to be confused on whether the race will or will not have an IM logo.

Just as I wrote this, a local race in Anchorage just popped up, which would make one heck of a trip if I can make it work.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Anchorage or Alaska Part Deux? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Sorry, but your statement/argument does not make any logical sense.

What is a local race for you is a destination race for me, and viceversa, don't you think? I could travel anywhere in the world, find a local race and make a vacation out of it.

You seem to be confused on whether the race will or will not have an IM logo.

Just as I wrote this, a local race in Anchorage just popped up, which would make one heck of a trip if I can make it work.

This thread was about Ironman Alaska. Not a local event.

You seem to be confused regarding what makes financial success to an event management company like Ironman.

A race that lasts only once is not a success - Ironman brand or otherwise.

If Ironman Alaska relied solely on local
participants there wouldn’t have even been a race since financially that doesn’t work. They opened it up to the world and it still wasn’t feasible. Location, cost and logistics, were, and still are, difficult barriers to overcome for both Ironman and non-local athletes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next