Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A week+ around Cancun wider area before IM Cozumel?
Quote | Reply
Racing IM Cozumel the 19th of November this year, and we are arriving to Cancun the 10th, so I have plenty of days to adapt/accllimatize.

We have booked some days in Holbox Island, and we have already experienced Tulum several times. Holbox is (I am just learning) not a place where you can do any relevant cycling. We have done the Rivera Maya Resort experience several times also.

Getting to Cozumel itself the 16th and staying until the 21st, where we go and visit friends in Merida.

So looking for ideas to places where we can be, which are nice and calm, where I can train (cycling seems the hardest nut to crack there) while tapering, but maybe do rides of 2-3h wouldn´t be bad.

TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: A week+ around Cancun wider area before IM Cozumel? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I'd go straight to Cozumel. The whole Riviera Maya is just too crowded and you can't even exit most of hotels without a car. On Cozumel you can cycle around the island, running is easy as well, prices are cheaper and people friendlier.

Alternative solution: bring an indoor cycling trainer with you / mail it to a hotel.

For reference, I've been there twice recently: in 2021 for my first IM and in 2022 for vacations (booked everything and planned to do IM, but got Covid T-14 days). I'd still consider to go to Cozumel once more some day, despite the fact that it's not an easy trip from Europe.
Last edited by: Michal_CH: Sep 14, 23 23:56
Quote Reply
Re: A week+ around Cancun wider area before IM Cozumel? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate - quality input! Indoor trainer mailing from Europe sounds a bit steep. And 11 days on Cozumel sounds like a killer (so says my wifey)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of in love with Cozumel, but agree that it can get boring after 10 days. Once you're on Cozumel, I recommend the Zona ArqueolĂłgica El Caracol (4-5hrs) as well as snorkelling trip to Palancar and El Cielo (3-4h). It's also a good location to do scuba diving.

When doing a recon, you'll stay off the main road for roughly 15kms on the east side, but you'll race on the main road.

One more thing: Cozumel is much safer for open water swimming, while Cancun's ocean currents kill people every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have much to add to this conversation except that the Feedback Sports Omnium is a trainer that is light and compact enough to be shipped as luggage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't dive, 11 days on Coz is... a lot. Not sure what you'd do

I would not ride on the mainland, however. At all
Quote Reply
Re: A week+ around Cancun wider area before IM Cozumel? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mate! Great info!

Michal_CH wrote:
I'm kind of in love with Cozumel, but agree that it can get boring after 10 days. Once you're on Cozumel, I recommend the Zona ArqueolĂłgica El Caracol (4-5hrs) as well as snorkelling trip to Palancar and El Cielo (3-4h). It's also a good location to do scuba diving.

When doing a recon, you'll stay off the main road for roughly 15kms on the east side, but you'll race on the main road.

One more thing: Cozumel is much safer for open water swimming, while Cancun's ocean currents kill people every year.
Quote Reply
Re: A week+ around Cancun wider area before IM Cozumel? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not mainland? I have been riding a lot all over MX

ChrisM wrote:
If you don't dive, 11 days on Coz is... a lot. Not sure what you'd do

I would not ride on the mainland, however. At all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just driving around, roads arenot IMO conducive to safe riding in PDC area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
The whole Riviera Maya is just too crowded and you can't even exit most of hotels without a car. .

My biggest cardio workout last year was crossing the highway in front of our resort to visit some cenotes. Not a difficult trot across the highway, but a stressful one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for input y´all !
Quote Reply