Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review
Quote | Reply
I’ve now been riding the VeloVetta shoes for about a month, I’d like to leave a review and share my thoughts on this product.

I’m not sponsored, nor did I receive any pro discount. I’m a self proclaimed “shoe snob” and have been riding various high-level shoes since the 90’s. I had early Rocket-7 shoes, prior to that LUST super light weight climbing shoes, and some Lamson custom shoes as well. Since doing triathlon, I mostly used Shimano single strap tri shoes. I always have found I perform best in Shimano shoes, they have worked well for me in both fit and performance. Unfortunately, the Shimano triathlon shoes are clearly not aerodynamic, so as time has gone on I’ve been experimenting with other shoes. Also, my feet have changed through 20 years of running extensively, not for the better. I get lots of hot spots and struggle with most shoes on the bike. The carbon upper structure of a BONT shoe make that brand a non-starter for me, I haven’t been able to use their aerodynamic shoe having tried them on knowing that option was an impossibility. As of late, I’ve been wearing the super-light LAKE CX-301 and Specialized EXOS super-soft and light upper shoe in triathlons. The Lake’s are great, but they just don’t tighten down too well. I’d wear the Sworks EXOS, but have found them impossible to get into, especially since I like to wear shoes really tight. At 70.3 World’s 2 years ago, I spent 90 seconds in T1 trying to squeeze my wet feet into the EXOS, I ended up retiring them for triathlon after that event.

Onto VeloVetta, overall I’ve been 9.5/10 impressed. I’m not sponsored or supported (at this point) in any way. I hesitated a bit to order them, but having been reading the thread for years and watching Ed’s progress, I couldn’t help myself. I’m from the Obree/Boardman era of cycling where innovation was always celebrated, and anyone who starts a business from scratch and makes needed improvements to status quo, I have to support that!

My first pair were too big, I think these shoes fit 1/2 to a full size bigger than Shimano. I would be 43.5 in a Shimano tri shoe, I’m wearing 42.5 in VeloVetta. I first ordered the black ones, when I sized down on my return I go the white ones. I think the white shoes look better, clearly they won’t age as well as the all black, but I figure it was worth it. I followed the return policy on the website and had zero problems, quick turn around all support from Ed and VeloVetta.

-FIT- The shoe fits like a Shimano, it’s a very solid foot-locked-in-shoe feel with a firm upper, unlike any shoes I’ve been able to wear recently (due to my feet issues). This feels like a Shimano tri shoe, but clearly is much faster aerodynamically.
-AESTHETICS- They look great, I think most people would agree. They’re clean and mostly go unnoticed from what I gather, they fit looks-wise with other current high performance shoes.
-EASE OF ENTRY- They go on quickly, I think Ed even makes it look harder than it is on the YouTube video. They go right on, and I wear my shoes extremely tight. Closure is super-simple, it’s just one action. I’ve practiced taking them on and off while riding along, with a little practice it becomes natural really quickly.
-ADJUSTMENT- They adjust easily, I’ve gotten handy with the switch dial on the back and can do it while riding to fine-tune it, but I tend to be doing that less and less. In a pinch, I’ve just flipped the closure system out and immediately all pressure was off my foot and I was able to still ride comfortably albeit with a much looser shoe. When the ride got hard again, I flip the back closed and they’re race-ready-tight. It’s nice to know that option exists at any moment.
-COMFORT- Like I mentioned above, I have comfort issues in all cycling shoes at this point, but these are comfortable and have gotten more comfortable every time I wear them. I do feel that they are breaking in a bit, not all shoes do this in my experience, specifically SWORKS shoes with the patent-leather upper. Insoles are fine for me, they are removable and not glued in, so some aftermarket or custom ones could go in there, but I’ll stick with stock for now, they again feel like Shimano stock shoes.
-CLEAT POSITIONING- These shoes have a wide fore-aft adjustment, particularly the setback toward mid-foot positioning. I like my cleats “deep” positioned on the shoe, 1-2cm behind the ball of my foot, and these allow for that without a custom plate or anything. This is a huge plus for me, most current shoes (Specialized specifically) don’t allow me to get the cleat quite far enough back to my liking.
-ERGONIMICS- The shoe seems well-built, I’ve heard the closure “wire” has been upgraded to larger gauge since the earliest edition. This shoe seems like it should hold up well. It’s quite simple, but also really clever how it’s engineered. It’s also clear if the wire were to break/wear-out, it could be replaced far more easily than even a BOA, which is nice to know.
-CARBON SOLE- Most carbon soles are really stiff at this point, these are the same. With a Speedplay pedal, I don’t feel the sole flex at all. I feel that the “pedal stack” is a little lower than Shimano or Specialized. The saddle will have to be dropped 2-3mm I would guess for most people. This is well into the arena of marginal gains, but I like this, the closer the foot to the pedal, the more efficient and faster!

Dislikes:

-WEIGHT- They’re slightly heavy, maybe a little more than Shimano shoes. I’m an aero and weight/weenie, I know it really doesn’t matter in triathlon, but I'm aware of it and of course don’t notice it at all while riding. Allow for the caveat that I’m used to wearing ~100-150 gram per shoe cycling shoes, it’s an unfair comparison, but they are heavier than most of the shoes I’ve worn.

Lastly, and this part surprises me, now I have a some decisions to make. I will be wearing these in triathlons going forward, I think for my needs they’re a step up in more than one category. I will have to decide if I wear them as I start road racing again. Flattish road races and criteriums? Likely! Hilly races? I may wear something else. If I get back on the track to do pursuit again, they probably would be an option. I’m not sure how these would compare to a Shimano shoe with a good shoe cover, also I don’t even know if shoe covers are UCI legal on the track anymore, I know they’ve gone back and forth on that. Anyway, all good problems to have and very happy with my shoes and excited for the future success of VeloVetta.
Last edited by: LewisElliot: Sep 14, 23 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [LewisElliot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I'm so happy you like them!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One if the best reviews I have read in a while, honest and no advertorial BS.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good review. I don't have these shoes, but, l gotta say, the innovation involved in the shoe entry and closure mechanism is damn impressive. Sure, everything looks 'obvious' in hindsight, but clearly it was not. And successfully bringing a very complex product like this to market (and while in a pandemic!) is a huge accomplishment. They're definitely on my list of something to try.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Im on the fence right now between this shoe and Cadomotus aero shoe so its good to see a review from an actual user. thanks for taking the time to write this up.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into Nimbl? They are really dang light about 185 gr. to 210 grams. But super pricey. Fizik's new tri shoe is light as well but said to be really narrow. Shimano TR9 gets top reviews a lot (but I never liked them all that much--felt sloppy under foot). The Velo Vetta--they're trick & the testimonials are coming back STRONG aside from weight (but faster due to the aero aspect). I'm doubting you'll find a manufactuer more upfront & honest about his product, or care enough about the clients as much as Ed. I can say if you're not a fan of BOA wire across the top of the foot, the Velo Vetta may be the shoe for you.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen the Cadomotus a couple of times on clients feet and especially in smaller sizes, like 39/40/41 the curve of the sole is a bit odd. I even had one client where we had to wedge the cleat to get it to proper function.
I'm not totally convinced by them yet.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
I have seen the Cadomotus a couple of times on clients feet and especially in smaller sizes, like 39/40/41 the curve of the sole is a bit odd. I even had one client where we had to wedge the cleat to get it to proper function.

Jeroen

Jeroen, when are you going to stock the VeloVetta in Europe? :) i.e. function as European distributor?
Last edited by: TomvdS: Oct 6, 23 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

Jeroen, when are you going to stock the VeloVetta in Europe? :) i.e. function as European distributor?

That would be an interesting idea isn't it :-).
To be honest never even considered it but I'm not sure if Ed is willing to look at it.
But it would be a nice idea.

I'm not sure if his business model actually allows for dealers, in other words if his margin is even big enough to make it also worth while for dealers to stock them.
But a distribution partnership would be a nice idea to ship them to the rest of the EU.

Maybe I should bring this up with Ed :-)

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that they're made in Europe (right?), having at least one European distribution partner would be nice. If they're actually any good (which I assume they are), having them available in the EU would be a huge plus for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great review Lewis. I also have used and tested these shoes and meant to post on the other discussion about Jim Manton's test results. It's so refreshing to see good unbiased real test results from guys like Jim who test so much.

For what it's worth the VeloVetta shoes are the fastest triathlon shoes I've aero tested. I did lots of Chung tests this summer. It's hard to pinpoint exact gains as I've learned getting cleat positions exactly right can take time and if you're not careful it's possible for things like ankling technique or cleat placement or q-factor to impact shoe tests. Both VeloVetta and Giro Empire shoes tested faster than my Bont Zero+ shoes that I'd used for years because they were so aero. Tough to nail down the exact CdA difference as it was across difference days and lots of back and forth between the 3 shoes. VeloVettas and Giro Empire (laces tucked in, no aero covers) reduced CdA by 0.001-0.002 over Bonts. Only a handful of watts separating them depending on what speed you're riding at, but those are all super proven aero shoes. It's likely several times that difference when comparing to other common tri shoes. I've recommended the VeloVettas to other triathletes seeking those marginal gains since.

And agree Ed was super helpful before during and after the ordering process!
Dean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't beat the Exos for lightness, it's like a feather.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Monarch aero cycling shoe review [Dean Phillips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dean,

How did you find he size on the VeloVettas? Like the original post, did you find they came up large?

Cheers
Quote Reply