Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Yeah, the rubbing issue is really bothering me, so I took the video down until I can be sure. There are no marks on the shoes anywhere, but I want to be sure. I'll have him clip into a trainer and we'll take some close-up video. We had a fourth athlete who tested with Faveros, but his results weren't consistent enough to be included and this could be the reason. We'll re-test right away if this was the case. I also have some tunnel time coming up and may try to slip in a test.

One sign is L/R balance being off. Not sure if you have the Garmin files but this may be a clue.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did the power file look like when you made contact with the pod?

What about imbalance would you say is outside the norm?
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [bandryk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bandryk wrote:
What did the power file look like when you made contact with the pod?

What about imbalance would you say is outside the norm?

In my case power was lower. The touching was on a single side so I had an abnormal power imbalance. I am typically 50/50 or very close. I was 45/55 or something like that. I figured this out with the help of Favero customer support.

When aero testing, lower power will result in lower CDA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of Velovettas as soon as they came out and I was very interested to watch Jim’s video. I thought the intro was a little harsh for the mix of positive and negative results that followed. When I bought the shoes I knew it was a gamble; they may or may not be more aero than other options, and they may or may not suit the shape of my foot. Of course I would be disappointed if they were 3% slower, but I’d be happy with a 1% gain.

I haven’t done any serious aero testing of the Velovettas vs. my lace-up lake shoes yet, so I don’t know if they’re faster for me. I’m pretty sure they’re not 3% slower- that big of a change would be apparent over my usual 40k ride. I have done one long 7 hour ride and several 1 hour rides in the Velovettas and haven’t had issues with comfort. I have wide feet and sized up to ensure that there would be plenty of room.

On the topic of power meter pedal/shoe interference, I bought a set of Speedplay power pedals last month and discovered that my Lake shoes would touch the power pods, causing the power to drop out. The Velovettas don’t seem to touch the pods.
Last edited by: jhaut: Sep 2, 23 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Adding some additional thoughts I have had at the top of this post here. Original post begins below this new addition.

During my first watch, the introduction to the ERO video had me fearing the worst. So I was surprised to find, as I kept watching, that the results were actually great for VeloVetta. In summary, here are the outcomes:

· vs. S-Works Exos – VeloVetta wins by 1%
· vs. S-Works laceup, modified with integrated zip - VeloVetta wins by 1%
· vs. Shimano Velcro Tri shoe - VeloVetta wins by 1.9%
· vs. S-Works laceup with elastic laces - unresolved anomalous result (I'll explain below)

Sounds good to me. So I’m puzzled by the tone of the video, which leaves the viewer with the impression that the result is disastrous for VeloVetta even before any data is presented.

ERO’s outcomes confirm what our CFD and wind tunnel tests also found – that the shoe represents a reduction in aerodynamic drag, so everything seems to line up. In fact, VeloVetta beat even stiffer competition this time around than we did in the wind tunnel. In June, Jim told me that the Exos is one of the fastest shoes he's ever tested. So beating that shoe, even by "only" 1% of total rider drag, seems like a win to me. Same thing with the first modified S-Works laceup, though the video glosses over that result for some reason. Changing from laces to a well-integrated zipper does not affect the overall frontal area or shape of the shoe. This shoe has often tested very fast. So a 1% win is solid, as is a 1.9% win over the tri shoe. I’m very pleased by these outcomes, and I worry that the grim tenor of the video gives the impression that VeloVetta got walloped when Jim’s results actually demonstrate the opposite.

Additionally, I want to address the test that pitted VeloVetta against the S-Works laceup with elastic laces. This trial measured 3% lower drag and was described as a "trouncing" in the video. And, to his credit, Jim did run this one twice. But the result deserves more scrutiny before publishing. It suggests that swapping laces for a concealed zipper on the S-Works laceup, without changing any frontal area or overall shoe shape, increases total rider drag by 4%. Consider that frontal area for a pair of shoes is around 7% of the total. Is that credible? The laces as a boundary layer trip cannot explain that, even if it were more than just conjecture. Should we not look for other reasons? Power meter issues are a likely place to start. Two people so far have suggested to me that it appears that the shoe may be touching the pod on the pedal power meter - 9:47 in the video - maybe all the time, maybe just with some pedal float, which would invalidate the data. Q-factor issue? Rider position issue? When an outlier result that appears invalid on its face arises, it should be excluded until the cause can be determined. Actually, we faced a similar situation in the wind tunnel: one very surprising outlier cropped up and, after consideration, we opted not to publish it.

Original post:

Hi guys -
I figured I would post this here myself. Jim tested our shoes and published these results:

VeloVetta Vs. Specialized Exos - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. S-Works laceup modified with a zipper - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. Shimano strapped tri shoe - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1.9%
VeloVetta vs. modified S-Works laceup with toungue cut out and elastic laces - S-works reduced drag by 3% (EDIT: I previously erroneously said this was a Giro shoe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiMB1_TvEE

But perhaps the thing that was most troubling to me was that most of his riders reported pain in the medial arch area of the foot. This is very surprising for me.

I've sold somewhere around 120 pairs so far, and not a single person has complained of this to me. So I'm pretty puzzled by this outcome. It makes me worry that there is something wrong with the pair that were bought and was used for the test, but I have not had a chance to inspect them yet. Hopefully I will. I think this could also significantly affect test results because if your foot really hurts a lot, you are going to change something to make it feel better - either how you pedal, or hold your knee or something. Anyway, this aspect of the test is really boggling my mind as not a single customer has indicated this to be true for them.
Anyway, the results are what they are. Aero testing of a shoe can vary from rider to rider.

Ultimately I have created a shoe that is aerodynamic, comfortable and has a closure system that works great for triathletes. I'm proud of the product. It's not going to be the absolute lowest drag option for every single rider vs every shoe in the world. But I think we have a combination of features that make it the right choice for a significant number of triathletes to improve their performance. If the elastic laces and cut out tongue work for you, that is also great.

Cheers.

Edit - One point to make about the test vs. the Giro - The test did not have the same two models of shoes on all three riders so really this is 3 individual test, not a series of comparable tests. And because results can vary a lot from rider to rider, it can be hard to draw any hard conclusions from this test. The test vs. the Giro was one test with one rider. Therefore you cannot necessarily say someone else testing those same two shoes will have the same result.

one thing that always stroke me as odd is that your orginal test did not include the shoes that most people use ie the giro empire and the bont zero plus. so in a way it was a bit unfortunate of you to have a test that did not use the most used shoes of people that look at fast shoes. besides it would be a disaster if your shoe did not beat the shimano shoe.

otherwise i do have to agree with you your shoe does not bad and i agree jims report is a bit too negative and for a first product i think you are doing pretty well . and i think you see you are getting a lot of goodwill on this thread.
and as others have posted you make the shoe in europe you should set up a way to sell the shoes in europe at a fair price and dont ship from the usa.

and since jim is doing now free aero testing for you now send him a pair where you put on a trip layer on the shoe and let him test it
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [jhaut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhaut wrote:

I thought the intro was a little harsh for the mix of positive and negative results that followed.

I love the concept of a channel that promotes the use of aero testing. Lots of good info has come out of it.

I struggle with the concept of showing a product to be lesser than another, when such info could be detrimental to the success of a startup. One would hope for a bullet proof protocol and a bigger sample than one athlete.

I hope Ed had the opportunity to review the data, question the protocol etc. Especially when you watch a video and say "hey, that's not quite right".

When a test based on a single athlete shows data that is out of the range we would expect I would dig a lot deeper before publishing it to the web.

I do think Jim did the right thing pulling it down.

If he plans to do product comparison, I think it would be best to provide more raw data or at least an opportunity for the parties it will impact to review. I wonder how DCR does this.

This is more ideas for content moving forward. I think this is a learning process for those aero testing, me included.

Jim is the only one that's had the guts to do this kind of thing

Maybe that's why I don't have a youtube channel :-)
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 2, 23 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, think it says a lot that Jim took it down to dig deeper. Like you said, learning.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed... I want to say that I've been very happy with your shoes and incredibly impressed with your aftermarket service and personal availability. That differentiation alone should make everyone in this thread pay attention.

More than anything though, to preemptively address this data, unflinchingly and direct, speaks volumes to your character and dedication to being better.

Thanks for your help to date... I love my shoes and am going nowhere.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [smartini23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! 🙏

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Adding some additional thoughts I have had at the top of this post here. Original post begins below this new addition.

During my first watch, the introduction to the ERO video had me fearing the worst. So I was surprised to find, as I kept watching, that the results were actually great for VeloVetta. In summary, here are the outcomes:

· vs. S-Works Exos – VeloVetta wins by 1%
· vs. S-Works laceup, modified with integrated zip - VeloVetta wins by 1%
· vs. Shimano Velcro Tri shoe - VeloVetta wins by 1.9%
· vs. S-Works laceup with elastic laces - unresolved anomalous result (I'll explain below)

Sounds good to me. So I’m puzzled by the tone of the video, which leaves the viewer with the impression that the result is disastrous for VeloVetta even before any data is presented.

ERO’s outcomes confirm what our CFD and wind tunnel tests also found – that the shoe represents a reduction in aerodynamic drag, so everything seems to line up. In fact, VeloVetta beat even stiffer competition this time around than we did in the wind tunnel. In June, Jim told me that the Exos is one of the fastest shoes he's ever tested. So beating that shoe, even by "only" 1% of total rider drag, seems like a win to me. Same thing with the first modified S-Works laceup, though the video glosses over that result for some reason. Changing from laces to a well-integrated zipper does not affect the overall frontal area or shape of the shoe. This shoe has often tested very fast. So a 1% win is solid, as is a 1.9% win over the tri shoe. I’m very pleased by these outcomes, and I worry that the grim tenor of the video gives the impression that VeloVetta got walloped when Jim’s results actually demonstrate the opposite.

Additionally, I want to address the test that pitted VeloVetta against the S-Works laceup with elastic laces. This trial measured 3% lower drag and was described as a "trouncing" in the video. And, to his credit, Jim did run this one twice. But the result deserves more scrutiny before publishing. It suggests that swapping laces for a concealed zipper on the S-Works laceup, without changing any frontal area or overall shoe shape, increases total rider drag by 4%. Consider that frontal area for a pair of shoes is around 7% of the total. Is that credible? The laces as a boundary layer trip cannot explain that, even if it were more than just conjecture. Should we not look for other reasons? Power meter issues are a likely place to start. Two people so far have suggested to me that it appears that the shoe may be touching the pod on the pedal power meter - 9:47 in the video - maybe all the time, maybe just with some pedal float, which would invalidate the data. Q-factor issue? Rider position issue? When an outlier result that appears invalid on its face arises, it should be excluded until the cause can be determined. Actually, we faced a similar situation in the wind tunnel: one very surprising outlier cropped up and, after consideration, we opted not to publish it.

Original post:

Hi guys -
I figured I would post this here myself. Jim tested our shoes and published these results:

VeloVetta Vs. Specialized Exos - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. S-Works laceup modified with a zipper - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. Shimano strapped tri shoe - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1.9%
VeloVetta vs. modified S-Works laceup with toungue cut out and elastic laces - S-works reduced drag by 3% (EDIT: I previously erroneously said this was a Giro shoe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiMB1_TvEE

But perhaps the thing that was most troubling to me was that most of his riders reported pain in the medial arch area of the foot. This is very surprising for me.

I've sold somewhere around 120 pairs so far, and not a single person has complained of this to me. So I'm pretty puzzled by this outcome. It makes me worry that there is something wrong with the pair that were bought and was used for the test, but I have not had a chance to inspect them yet. Hopefully I will. I think this could also significantly affect test results because if your foot really hurts a lot, you are going to change something to make it feel better - either how you pedal, or hold your knee or something. Anyway, this aspect of the test is really boggling my mind as not a single customer has indicated this to be true for them.
Anyway, the results are what they are. Aero testing of a shoe can vary from rider to rider.

Ultimately I have created a shoe that is aerodynamic, comfortable and has a closure system that works great for triathletes. I'm proud of the product. It's not going to be the absolute lowest drag option for every single rider vs every shoe in the world. But I think we have a combination of features that make it the right choice for a significant number of triathletes to improve their performance. If the elastic laces and cut out tongue work for you, that is also great.

Cheers.

Edit - One point to make about the test vs. the Giro - The test did not have the same two models of shoes on all three riders so really this is 3 individual test, not a series of comparable tests. And because results can vary a lot from rider to rider, it can be hard to draw any hard conclusions from this test. The test vs. the Giro was one test with one rider. Therefore you cannot necessarily say someone else testing those same two shoes will have the same result.

one thing that always stroke me as odd is that your orginal test did not include the shoes that most people use ie the giro empire and the bont zero plus. so in a way it was a bit unfortunate of you to have a test that did not use the most used shoes of people that look at fast shoes. besides it would be a disaster if your shoe did not beat the shimano shoe.

otherwise i do have to agree with you your shoe does not bad and i agree jims report is a bit too negative and for a first product i think you are doing pretty well . and i think you see you are getting a lot of goodwill on this thread.
and as others have posted you make the shoe in europe you should set up a way to sell the shoes in europe at a fair price and dont ship from the usa.

and since jim is doing now free aero testing for you now send him a pair where you put on a trip layer on the shoe and let him test it

What source states that most people are using the giro empire and bont zero plus?
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._SLX_Laces_P6008013/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...o_Shoetout_P7077459/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...P7890763/?t=ajjgpgcm

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...search%3Fdo%3Dsearch

the fact that jan and lionel use the bont and lionel obviously copied jan, had them in the talk and they were kind of the follow up of the bont crono which reached notority when it was banned by uci
i should add the specialiced sub 6 here but those three shoes are the ones that come up most often in the conversation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were to update the testing protocol, what would you go with?

I’ll start. Feel free to offer edits and additions:

With small sample sizes, and keeping this reasonable for a hobbyist of a reviewer and not peer review level:

- protocol checklist provided to reader/viewer that is used before each run.
- each rider needs to try all shoes in the test.
- each rider needs to rotate through each shoe 4x.
- report test-retest reliability of cda for each rider across their 4 trials of an individual shoe.
- L-R difference in power treated as a variable to also examine using test retest reliability.
- If not reliable, examine protocol issues, confounding variables (e.g. shoe touching pedal powermeter sensor, disc wheel, w/kg out of range), remove possible spurious result and have rider(s) retest the specific shoe.
- If reliable, average scores for each shoe across all testers and run basic ANOVA between shoe cda, controlling for w/kg.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 4, 23 23:09
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

With small sample sizes, and keeping this reasonable for a hobbyist of a reviewer and not peer review level:

- report test-retest reliability of cda for each rider across their 4 trials of an individual shoe.
- L-R difference in power treated as a variable to also examine using test retest reliability.
- If not reliable, examine protocol issues, confounding variables (e.g. shoe touching pedal powermeter sensor, disc wheel, w/kg out of range), remove possible spurious result and have rider(s) retest the specific shoe.
- If reliable, average scores for each shoe across all testers and run basic ANOVA between shoe cda, controlling for w/kg.

On the one hand I agree.

On the other hand this is somebody putting YouTube content out comparing products - its not world class aero testing - and the time/effort/input with volunteers required for the above protocol probably makes it unviable.

What are we talking - 64 runs - all with power & protocol checks - video - post ride data crunching - tabulation of results and then putting together the video. Thats like a full time job!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a non-triathlete I would be more interested in
fastest testing shoe vs slowest testing shoe + velotoze.
fastest testing shoe vs fastest testing shoe + velotoze.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:

ok so you pay for this test then lol

i had a quick look the only guy that used laced shoes last year in kona in top 10 males and females was chavalier who is one of my podium favorites for nice given he already had the 3 rd fastest bike in kona last year and has won embrunman and i would say after patrick he likely has the best power to weight ratio. and i am not saying power to weight ratio is the big decider but a guy that has a fast bike split with good power to weight ratio should gain slightly more in nice.

anyway we can certainly say laced shoes have not made it into the top guy pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
m@tty wrote:
As a NON-TRIATHLETE I would be more interested in

i had a quick look the only guy that used laced shoes last year in kona in top 10 males and females was chavalier who is one of my podium favorites for nice given he already had the 3 rd fastest bike in kona last year and has won embrunman and i would say after patrick he likely has the best power to weight ratio. and i am not saying power to weight ratio is the big decider but a guy that has a fast bike split with good power to weight ratio should gain slightly more in nice.

I could test myself but it’s not high on the to do list, with three helmets, three skinsuits, Speedplay Aero vs Speedplay Powrlink, and a few positional changes to test.
What pro triathletes are wearing at Kona or Nice isn’t really that relevant for a TT rider but what they are using in Sub7 is.
Last edited by: m@tty: Sep 5, 23 2:51
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

I think there is a need to document things. This need is much greater when you are going to publish the results that could affect the sales of a product, especially that of a start up.

I recently tested some wheels from a large manufacturer. They were slower. I showed the data to the decision maker, explained to him why I believed the numbers were real even though it was limited testing. It allowed him to make decisions for him and only him based on those results. But I would never publish those results here without a full description of how they were tested and a discussion section on results. I told him "my confidence these wheels are slower is 9". "My confidence it's 3w rather than 5w is 5". That was good enough for that specific decision process. Often in aero testing this is good enough. Product reviews require more.

I don't think a simple YMMV statement is sufficient.

So if you are going to do it on stuff like "does long hair impact my CDA", sure put it on youtube with nothing else. If product review, do something more serious.

So for me, it's documentation of the results. How was the test conducted, how many runs, was it ABABA or something else. Road conditions, wind conditions, metrics on power, speed, wind, yaw. In that video they show a rider with a disc. Yellow flags went up. Outdoor test with a disc on the back is something I avoid. Variable wind during the day will skew results. I would have seen that on a equipment list. An equipment list would provide other details I would look at. Pictures of the specific test would be big. The pedal rubbing was possibly caught through pictures.

BTW, L/R balance is not something I would think people would look at normally. I look at it because it caused me a lot of grief. So much grief we actually monitor other metrics for this kind of thing. We capture and score many metrics in the field, only so we know to proceed or not to the next test. And we require them for documentation anyways

Make the Garmins available. Make the raw data available. At least to the parties on the receiving end of your review.

I would run this documentation with a few trusted sources before publishing.

Too formal for a youtube video ? Maybe. Maybe not all aero comparisons are youtube material

PS : at one point i thought it would be cool to have a thread, kind of like the Power VS mph thread, where people could share their aero tests, providing some very basic info on how their test was done. I had it all ready to go, but put it on hold.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 5, 23 3:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Product reviews require more.

I would run this documentation with a few trusted sources before publishing.

Too formal for a youtube video ? Maybe. Maybe not all aero comparisons are youtube material.

Thank you - not too formal for a YouTube channel. See what Fairwheel documents for crank testing: https://www.fairwheelbikes.com/...rank-stiffness-test/

This is responsible and ethical cycling journalism (low bar) from an entity with a profit motive. If an online reviewer wants to publicly critique/review a product with quantitative testing using sloppy protocols and leave room for massive error, maybe stick to subjective testing like most reviewers do. But if the reviewer tosses their hat into the quantitative testing ring, the standard is and should be higher when the reviewer publishes those results online and risks hurting a brand - that responsibility needs to be taken more seriously.

Using multiple riders to test shoes is good protocol. Having each tester test the VeloVetta compared to only a single other shoe tosses the value of a repeated measures design out the window.

earthling wrote:
What are we talking - 64 runs - all with power & protocol checks - video - post ride data crunching - tabulation of results and then putting together the video.

Yes, the standard would be this high if the manufacturer published the results. The standard was this high for Kiley’s crowd funded testing and I view DCR's powermeter testing as meeting this bar. The shoe testing is inherently more challenging than what Kiley did or what DCR does, but if a reviewer takes on that challenge, that’s their choice and they have to carry the responsibility of their choice just as a manufacturer needs to pass ISO and back up any claims. When a manufacturer tosses their hat into the ring with a new product, they open themselves to scrutiny; reviewers open themselves up the same level of scrutiny, especially when they start tossing out "data". Such testing has real consequences and it is (profit motivated) journalism and needs to have integrity and take responsibility for the consequences its reporting has on brands and consumer decision making.

disclaimer: I am the founder of wovebike.com, a maker of bike parts, and I conduct empirical research at Vanderbilt University with an expertise in measurement and design.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 5, 23 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

PS : at one point i thought it would be cool to have a thread, kind of like the Power VS mph thread, where people could share their aero tests, providing some very basic info on how their test was done. I had it all ready to go, but put it on hold.

There is the race results thread that is close but lacks the details you are looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
marcag wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

There is the race results thread that is close but lacks the details you are looking for.
Thanks. It was elsewhere.

I don't sense aero testing is as popular here is what it was in the past.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 5, 23 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
m@tty wrote:

What shoes are they using?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not able to access the video.

What are the % savings measuring exactly? Is it just looking at the shoes or the entire effect on a rider as whole system?

In other words, does it make a rider 1% faster or just the shoe? I assume its measuring just shoes but want to make sure.

Any data on conversion to wattage?
Quote Reply

Prev Next