Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Broken Clavicle and 11 Broken Ribs [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 months since being knocked off bike, run over and crushed under car.
Main injuries include 16 broken ribs (10 on one side), broken scapula and subsequent pneumothorax on one lung and fluid in the other.
Got back on the turbo trainer a couple of weeks ago, no immediate prospect of running or swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle and 11 Broken Ribs [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx for the response,I’m in a state of mind where I don’t want to try and get back in shape until I feel ok with full range of motion and pain free.I know it’s going to be stretch and I might not ever be the same .
At 68 I’m kinda ok with it I think .Riding on the road in a group maybe a thing of the past ,but riding the paths for a coffee and also running a couple of days a week might keep me happy .
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle and 11 Broken Ribs [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus, I did clavicle and 7 ribs (plus punctured lung). But there must be some law of diminishing pain, like if it's over 5 it's all about the same?

I had surgery so that added to the recovery time, didn't want me running for two months, got on the exercycle but weeks before i was able to do any training. I do know I couldn't sleep lying down for 5 weeks. Rented a recliner and slept in the living room.

Good luck in your recovery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry you had that happen, not fun!

I broke my clavicle (displaced about 1.5cm), cracked scapula, partially collapsed lung, couple displaced ribs and torn Teres Major ... one week before my son was born. He's 18 months now, Id say I am 95% back still have some issues breathing/cough/sneeze sometimes when I'm laying on my left side. Clavicle and torn muscle healed without surgery, lungs and ribs are still occasionally problematic. Still, was able to put together an ironman effort 6 months later. I first ran outside 3.5 weeks after the accident. Rode indoors until the 2 month after, no swimming until almost 3 months.

Roughest part was caring for a newborn and a wife that had a rough c-section with 1/2 an arm. Our house was the new definition of "pain cave". Sleep was shit either way, but when I was able to lie down for myself... it was still shit for about 2 months. Then it was bad mostly because of the baby lol.

Having broken ribs on separate occasions in the past, they are tricky: They can take 2 days or several months. Just let yourself heal and you'll know when.

Best of luck!

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle and 11 Broken Ribs [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Jesus, I did clavicle and 7 ribs (plus punctured lung). But there must be some law of diminishing pain, like if it's over 5 it's all about the same?

I had surgery so that added to the recovery time, didn't want me running for two months, got on the exercycle but weeks before i was able to do any training. I do know I couldn't sleep lying down for 5 weeks. Rented a recliner and slept in the living room.

Good luck in your recovery

I finally got a recliner chair about 4 weeks ago,and same as you, now sleeping in this in the living room.

Getting sleep is the main issue, after 3 months still can’t get more than 2.5 hours before the pain wakes me up. Impossible to sleep on either side so on back whole time. At least the recliner allows easy position changes compared to a bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OP here , 4 months post crash and I’m at about 90% range of motion in my shoulder ( clavicle broken in 5 places and 11 ribs.) I followed the doctors advice and did not push anything , rest , physio ,gym work and Zwift .
I have discovered the Concept 2 rowing machine during my recovery and really like .
Any tips on what to do / not to do etc .10,000M seems a bit of a reach right now but comfortable with 2/4000 currently .
What are the overall benefits of using the Concept 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 months post wreck and still have a great deal of pain when laying down. I can't lay on that side for more than 2 minutes as the pain just is immediate.

I should go back for an X-ray. I'm curious how it's healed.

My range of motion is pretty good (90%+) but laying down on it kills.

I don't have any issues with activities thankfully.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle and 11 Broken Ribs [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened ?and what was the extent of your injuries?
Quote Reply

Prev Next