Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you train exclusively on a tri bike or do you split time with a road/gravel bike? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Greg17815 wrote:
This year I’ve been exclusively on my tri bike - about 7-8 hours a week, 5 rides typically........... Pondering getting a road bike again, just to break up the training and give my body a break, 2-3 rides a week.

Anyone care to share their advice/experience?

It's much, much more important to ride a bike, any bike, than it is to ride your tri bike.

I was looking to see if you said that before i said it again.

Funny thing about my riding is that I ride road and track almost all of the time but when i get on my tri bike it's still natural to ride it.

I think once you have a foundation on the tri bike there's no reason to ride it exclusively unless you want to, which a lot of people do and that's fine.

On the other end, when i raced Xterra, i was on my mountain bike only about 30% of the time and did fine.
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 25, 23 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train exclusively on a tri bike or do you split time with a road/gravel bike? [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hercules wrote:
I have ridden nothing but a tri bike since I purchased one back in 1991, my first was a Kestrel KM40, today I ride a titanium lightspeed, so I guess it's close to 33 years on a tri bike, rode tens of thousands of training miles on the tri bike, along with many, many triathlons over the years. I have 3 bikes, two are Kestel KM40's and the one lightspeed, all with 650c wheels. I did ride a road bike when I first started out back in 1981 until 1991. I have never had any issue riding all sorts of terrain on the tri bike, used to do the death ride up near Tahoe on them for years as a training ride for IMC. Got so used to the tri bike I guess I forget what a road bike feels like today.

I was 67 this year so I don't expect I will be purchasing a new bike, road or tri as I hope these bikes last me out. I am still doing about 350 to 450 miles per month now training, no more hundred plus milers for me thankfully those days are over but I like to ride most days.

You might like to post pictures of your bikes here
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jul 26, 23 3:01
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train exclusively on a tri bike or do you split time with a road/gravel bike? [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carrotguy wrote:
I'll say this. I spent the first half of this year training for Xterra , with a solid month and a half of that exclusively on my MTB on legit singletrack. I find now that I'm back on my tri bike doing long z2/threshold work on the road and trainer, that I can hold a higher heart rate for longer than I could prior to putting in the work on the MTB.

As others have said, riding an MTB on proper MTB terrain is almost a plyometric workout, where you have to grind enormous power to get over roots, rocks, sharp climbs, etc. A massive difference from traditional TT training. I've found its definitely helped my ability to hold top end power (vo2) and made super hard efforts easier to manage than before.

I don't think the MTB riding did anything to help my aerobic or threshold paces much, but it certainly didn't hurt them.

I recently got back into MTB this summer after a 20 year hiatus. I've noticed a similar thing, too. I'd forgotten how intense those short 10s bursts of power while MTBing can be. Definitely looking forward to continuing to MTB through the winter and see how it pays off next season.
Quote Reply

Prev Next