Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin watch alternatives? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, exxxviii, for the super useful reply. That doesn't bode well for the AW. Maybe Suunto is what's next for me.

http://powerful-problem-solving.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch alternatives? [Arnaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the Suunto watches as alternatives to Garmin. They are expensive, but they compare more directly to Garmin's fēnix line because of the styling. They look a lot better than the typical black plastic sport watches. And the Vertical's 1.4" screen will give you the same kind of goodness of the larger screens on Garmin's 955 and 965 watches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's what I'm look at, too. The Polar Grit X Pro is supposedly similar as well, but it's buggy (I had to send it back a couple of times for service) and it failed during a race, so nope.

The Vertical seemed promising in Ray's review, I'm just hoping that Suunto actually delivers on that promise.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch alternatives? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar boat, on my second Fenix 6 and it's bound to die sooner or later. My follow up on your questions about the alternatives are: how long will a comparable polar/ suunto last? Is Garmin really that bad when it comes to lifespan compared to the other brands? Also, I have found Garmin customer service to be excellent - when my first fenix 6 died it was over a year out of warranty and they replaced it with a refurb for $50. How are Polar/Suunto when it comes to customer service?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch alternatives? [MidPack4Life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using Garmins for a very long time as my main devices (310XT, 910XT, 745XT, 945, 955, 965). Additionally, I have had the privilege of using other devices like the Wahoo RIVAL & Suunto 9 Peak, etc. I run & train with 5 other guys who have also been using Garmin forever.

My personal experience is that Garmin is not nearly as bad as the forums like to rant about. The big problem they have had is the altimeter, but the core capabilities are pretty solid for most people. I cannot remember the last time I had any kind of glitch.

My time with the other watches is similar. They are all really good. They differ in approaches to product positioning. Garmin has vast resources, so everything they do tends to be much bigger than competitors, like their 3-tier ecosystem that is fully baked with everything you can imagine. Suunto & Hammerhead have partnered to give you some of that. And Wahoo's SYSTM is a pretty good whole ecosystem alternative to Garmin.

I have never had an issue with Suunto, Hammerhead, Stages, or Wahoo, so I don't know how their customer service compares.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch alternatives? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Polar watches as they make great hardware and I find Polar Flow to be a really useful app. I have used many of their watches but currency use the Pacer Pro and Ignite 3 the most. As for a Fenix equivalent, the Grit X (not Pro) has proven to be one of the most reliable sport watches I have ever used as the software is stable and after over 2 years of use, it hasn't once crashed on me. The touchscreen is useful, if not sluggish, and the hardware is robust.

The Pacer Pro offers most of the same features as the Grit X but comes in a smaller form factor with sleek design. The Ignite 3 (no multi sport mode) is more akin to a smartwatch in that it offers more lifestyle features and has an AMOLED screen. Both are great at tracking 90% of sports and activity, with the largest difference being the AMOLED screen of the Ignite 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two weeks with the Suunto Vertical and I still can't connect it to the wifi, despite speaking with their reps in three different countries. That means no map download. They're advising that I return the watch, which is what I'll do on Monday.

It's a pity as I like how it looks and feels and it seems promising. But, to be fair, some of their choice makes absolutely no sense. For one, not being able to store more than one power meter makes for a really poor UX when you have three bikes.

Quote Reply
Coros Pace 3 vs. Garmin Vivoactive 4 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've run with Garmin since switching from Polar S625X to Forerunner 205 back in 2005 and currently using a Vivoactive 4.
Bought a Coros Pace 3 nylon band from Coros for $229 shipped

First day/run review
Note: no interface comments as Coros is new to me vs. Garmin
0.5% distance difference(Garmin higher) and 20bpm HRM average difference(Garmin higher)
Positives
+ Acquired the signal in half the time while standing right next to my suburban house
+ More believable average HR for the run
+ Run split notification more obvious. I often don't notice Garmin's beep/vibrate
Negatives
- No auto detect workout. Surprised that was missing as I use that for runs as I'm lazy and it is nice in the winter not having to wait for GPS
- Screen less visible in indoor environments. I'm 50+ and soon will need cheaters.
- If you wear the watch on your dominant hand using the wheel will be more of a challenge. I switch watch handedness during the summer to equalize tan lines.

More time and activities
Positives
+ For single track trail didn't lose signal on steep woody terrain
+ Battery life seems to be as advertised -- crazy good
Negatives
- Events don't sync with app/website automatically
- No pickleball or yoga activities
- No real feel temperature for activity. Living in the upper midwest real feel is more important than air temperature. Is it a blustery 20F or a comfortable running one? Is it a pleasant 80F or a chew the air 80F?
- No gear tracker. I retire shoes by mileage. I'm using a spreadsheet, but if you aren't you're SCREWED
- "Burn" mark from the heart rate sensor that is still visible a week later after switching wrists. It doesn't hurt, but I can't imagine that being good long-term.

Swim
Heart rate for swim which is something. Also has water temperature.
For a 25 yard pool my swim was clocked in at 1 length short, which is similar to the Vivoactive 4 where it is plus or minus 1 length.
Update: On my dominant hand results are accurate, but on my other hand it seems to undercount lengths by 30%

Buy If
  • Battery life is important
  • GPS accuracy is important
  • You want a slightly more accurate heart rate
  • Want to save a few $

Avoid If
  • Like Garmin infrastructure
  • Track your gear
  • Use auto-detect workout
  • Like real feel temperature
  • Like auto sync workouts
  • Do "strange" activities such as pickleball and yoga
  • Need to edit your activity. I forgot to hit stop and my drive home from Pickleball was included in the workout. No way to truncate the workout within the app or website.

I am glad I made the decision as the interface has grown on me, but it definitely isn't perfect for how I use it.
[/url][/url]

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Last edited by: linhardt: Nov 27, 23 15:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next