Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poly Myalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
Quote | Reply
Was diagnosed in April with PMR (Poly Myalgia Rheumatica), am on a descending course of Prednisone. Any thoughts on recovery from this auto immune disorder? I am able to work out, but at very modest levels. Started at 20mg. daily Pred. now tapered down to 3mg. I know it can take a long time to wean off Pred. and resume a "normal" level of activity, but curious if others have stories.
Quote Reply
Re: Poly Myalgia Rheumatica (PMR) [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I developed PMR just over 2 years ago, and hope I am now almost at the end of it all.
To begin with, I found the lack of information about training with PMR pretty frustrating. The peak age of onset is 70's, and as a triathlete in my late 50's the existing patient information was unhelpful. The overriding message seemed to me to be "don't exert yourself", which I felt was pretty detrimental.
It took a few months to get the stiffness under control but I restarted training as soon as I could, and don't believe it set back the course of the condition, even if I was pretty sore after running (hips) or swimming (shoulders). Cycling definitely seemed to be beneficial, though there was a tendency to get problems with hamstring origins after hard efforts or trying to run hard off the bike. You do need VERY long, gentle warm-ups for anything.
I did a middle distance event about 3 months post diagnosis, on around 7mg/day, and took a few extra mg that day in case of adrenal suppression, but don't bother now I'm on <1mg. I wasn't quick but got round, to my surprise, despite little training. By around 6 months I had an AG win at 70.3, and I have since done more 70.3s and 2 IMs -so, you will get back!
Ultimately, I think I have lost some form due to persisting loss of range in neck / shoulders (swim), and loss of "bounce" (run), plus increased injury rate esp during a flare, but when it all started I didn't know if I would be doing triathlons at all, so the outcome has been a lot better than I feared.
Good luck with getting back to training!
Quote Reply