Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero bar extensions, is this a thing?
Quote | Reply
I've converted my bike ( Felt B2 ) to use wireless shifting ( SRAM eTap ), and I've come to find that I'm missing the last inch or so of what used to be the bar-end shifter housing. As it's now replaced with a blunt bar end blip that is considerably shorter than the previous shimano bar-end shifter.

I have Cobb wrist relief aero bars, that I cut the end flush with the rear of the base bar when I first installed them years ago.

I like my position, but I need another inch or so on the end of the aero bars so that I'm able to hold my whole hand around the bar. As it is now, I either have to have my index and middle finder holding air, or scrunch my elbows back which then throws off the rest of my fit and position.

So, before I go through a full refit, since I'd need new aero bar extensions, is there way to add bar extenders onto the end of the bars to give me that little bit of extra length back?

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bar extensions, is this a thing? [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Research "bar finger grips". They can zip tie or clamp on. They're for drop or tee bars like a mtb, but you can use them on a TT extension. Then you could grab the end maybe two flingers longer while having that little "grip" for the fingers and hand to get ahold of. They have them on aliexpress and amazon if you hunt for them.

Like this on mine:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extensions tend to be a 22.2 mm diameter, which if you do the conversion is 7/8”. This is the outside diameter and I believe the inside diameter tends to be really close to either 13/16 or 3/4”.

What you didn’t say was whether your current extensions are carbon or aluminum.

So you can probably get a short section of 22mm straight carbon tube from EBay or Amazon and another short piece of the next size down. Then just epoxy smaller diameter tube to the end of you existing extension and then glue the 22mm OD tube on the end. If your extensions are aluminum the real cheap hack is to go to your local hardware store and buy the aluminum tubing to do the job. JB Weld should be sufficiently strong for the application as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BlipGrip | EP-EAC-BGA-A1 | SRAM

If you have blips and not clicks, this would make up for it.

I once planned to extend my trek monoextension with 3/4" carbon fiber tubes. I bought the tubes, but I ended up not doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Cobb Wrist Relief Extensions in my parts bin if your interested?
I’m in the UK though but can post no problem.

Although another suggestion is these?
https://www.fasttt.bike/...am-axs-blip-cradles/
Last edited by: m@tty: Jul 7, 23 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bar extensions, is this a thing? [SilentHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SilentHunter wrote:
BlipGrip | EP-EAC-BGA-A1 | SRAM

If you have blips and not clicks, this would make up for it.

I once planned to extend my trek monoextension with 3/4" carbon fiber tubes. I bought the tubes, but I ended up not doing it.

I had forgotten about those! I do have the "clicks" on my aero extensions currently, which is why I was looking for a short extension type of solution. But I just dug in my parts box, and found I still have the set of blips that I replaced with the "clicks". So I just need the blip grip housing, which for ~$20 is probably a quick/easy first attempt to try.

Thanks all for the ideas to everyone that responded!

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, if you "upgrade" to the wireless blips you can add a good inch or so with these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5335609
I recently had a friend print a set for me and they are SWEET.
Last edited by: rob_bell: Jul 10, 23 14:50
Quote Reply