Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LA did it better imo
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
LA did it better imo

I guess (or hope) that was supposed to be pink. Lance was 6.7 (Ferrari Magic Number)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean cycling proving that drugs are not necessary...
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
LA did it better imo

Best he could manage on the sauce was 6.7! What a useless sack of sh!te.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hehe and yes santa is real
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How fast he accelerated in front of the riders in front too - it was like he was about to crash into them and they were standing still when he first attacked he was going so fast. Loved it even though I’m a tp fan
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charming. Bet you don’t pay on the first date?
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
waverider101 wrote:
LA did it better imo

Best he could manage on the sauce was 6.7! What a useless sack of sh!te.

That's not true. From his mouth his 7 w/kg for 30 was his peak.

Regarding Venga, he has been displaying this capacity in his performances all year. In fact a few people have, Pog included. Make of that what you will, but this performance stands where it stands. The numbers from cycling graphs are essentially the same thing I calculated as well. I'm waiting for Ammattii Pyoraily to verify timing as well as actual power data from other riders, but the 6.9+w/kg is absolutely bang on as far as I'm concerned having looked at rides from a few guys who have uploaded to verify some things.

Pog, Venga and Remco (probably peak Rog) def have 20 minute power at or around 7 w/kg. Whether or not they are racing an attritional stage determines whether or not we see that output. We have to remember we've seen Venga do almost 7.5w/kg for ~12 minutes recently. Remco has done 6.5 w/kg for 30 in a race this year.

Hopefully we see more performances to assess this Tour. Let's not forget, Pog still 6.7 or yesterday with Kuss on the climb trailing Jonas.
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2023 TdF is clean? Thanks for the laughs!!

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vingegaard just took more than 2 mins off the Tourmalet KOM, i.e. approx 4% faster than any other human being who has ever done that climb.

That is insane !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're talking about the graphic they showed during the race, didn't that just compare the Strava KOM time against Jonas' actual time? If so, that only accounts for riders who have ridden that climb and uploaded their ride to Strava. Jonas hasn't used Strava for several years, as is the case with a lot of the top riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With these numbers I always tell folks to do the math on your own personal mass to see how long you could hold that amount of power. And be humbled. Then realize, they already rode a good bit and made efforts before that. Unreal stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking about this one:

https://cyclinguptodate.com/...-du-tourmalet-record

Jonas Vingegaard is the fittest rider of the moment. The Danish Jumbo-Visma rider is riding at an exceptional level in this Tour de France 2023 and in the sixth stage he proved it again by beating the climb record of the mythical Col du Tourmalet.

Last edited by: Mulen: Jul 6, 23 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a healthy skeptic of cycling performances.

However, putting this on Stage 5, so early in the tour means less fatigue and higher efforts possible.
And you need to know his exact mass to get the W/kg correct.
It appears Vingo might have paid for it today though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's the one I saw too - maybe I jumped to conclusions, but the orange in the graphics made me think this was coming from Strava (especially with the avg. amateur stats since that would be easy for Strava to pull). With the KOM by David, I'd say in pink I'd be curious if that was the Paris Nice David or the Dauphine David, since they seemed light years apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point (after Tourmalet today) was that Jonas and Tadej went up that climb 4% (approx) faster than any other rider ever before.
If you add 4% to 6.7, you get close to what Vingegaard was delivering yesterday.

To the point that their W/kg must somehow be some of the highest ever showcased, and even more impressive, during a TdF, where there is still 2400 km and god knows how much altitude left :)
Last edited by: Mulen: Jul 6, 23 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the highest showcased in this recent era of racing. They have a ways to go with some historically documented performances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some updated times from today: https://www.strava.com/segments/34128342

Seems it must have been a good day - Danish Television mentioned tailwind ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah definitely an impressive ride. My only point is that the Gaude time they are using (if taken from Strava) may not be the actual fastest time up the climb before today since not all tour riders use Strava/upload their rides to Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say it most certainly wasn't the fastest time before today.

I was on dad duties and haven't checked timing myself as I was in and out of the race today, but according to Ammatti Pyoraily he indicated Pog/Venga did 6.8 w/kg on the Tourmalet during the last 13:30 to the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True - the article I linked to above mentioned they "Broke the Record"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Vingegaard just took more than 2 mins off the Tourmalet KOM, i.e. approx 4% faster than any other human being who has ever done that climb.

That is insane !

I don't know what my power is but in Embrunman five years ago at age 52 going up the col de lizard in the last 8 km I had to stop every 200 m to catch my breath. Do they adjust the power for altitude?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LR has Pog and Venga doing the final 13:27 at 6.91 w/kg and that being 7.46 w/kg altitude adjusted. Those are similar numbers to what Venga has shown earlier this year for that duration (without altitude).

Note: I didn't check the timing and math, but Karlis who tracks data for them is very good so I trust it.
Quote Reply
Re: Vingegaard 6.92 w/kg on Marie Blanque [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They broke Romingers record by 13s which was the previous fastest time up Tourmalet.

http://www.climbing-records.com/...r-break-30-year.html

Just as impressive though knowing who Rominger was coached by xD
Last edited by: Holderbert: Jul 6, 23 13:56
Quote Reply