Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson)
Quote | Reply
(search function seems to be broken so I can't link to last year's thread)

The legitimacy of Ashley Paulson's female course record last year (she was 3rd place overall) was questioned by many. However, no smoking gun was ever revealed.

She is back on the course this year. Currently in 5th place overall.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson) [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to be interesting if she can close out the final stretch with similar times to last year. I hope the Badwater officiating crews are doing the necessary work to validate her effort this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marathon Investigations Accuses Ashley Paulson

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ey_Paulson_P7779726/

This thread was entertaining, can't wait to see how it goes this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up to 4th place at 72 miles. No idea how that compares to last year's split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Up to 4th place at 72 miles. No idea how that compares to last year's split.

I can't see last years splits, but she finished the race P1 Women, P3 Overall. That's her current position now. Long way to go to get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She had a totally legit time at the Los Angeles Marathon this year, 2:48:47, placing fourth in the pro women’s field. LA Marathon is obviously not a major marathon like Boston or New York, but she’s a very accomplished runner. Let’s lead with that rather than innuendo for the women’s record-holder.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Jul 5, 23 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson) [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't mean to imply she cheated. I am one who was in her camp all along last year I am glad she is doing well again.

I started this thread BECAUSE of all the detractors last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
I didn't mean to imply she cheated. I am one who was in her camp all along last year I am glad she is doing well again.

I started this thread BECAUSE of all the detractors last year.

A long way to go, but she is doing very well so far.

3rd place through 72 miles.

For the record, I think the accusations last year were based on her previous failed drug test, she had a crew member who dressed like her twin (right down to the distinctive hair color), and she had the audacity (!) to do well as a newcomer to ultra.

When she released her watch data, people pointed to it showing "edited," but switching the data from private to public is an edit, so that was unavoidable.

Not only was there no "smoking gun," there really wasn't anything to point at beyond speculation.

Count me among the people who defended her, or at least demanded real proof from the LetsRun crowd. They came up empty.

So, that brings us to this year. She has had a very good year in triathlon, marathoning (several 2:4x times as she tried to get an Olympic Trials Qualifier), and she won the Zion 100 Miler.

I'm rooting for her to do well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson) [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rooting for her too.

And, btw, her pacer is back this year too. I kinda hope they intentionally try to dress even more alike, style their hair exactly the same etc. A sort of a blatant middle finger to those who pointed to that last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
I rooting for her too.

And, btw, her pacer is back this year too. I kinda hope they intentionally try to dress even more alike, style their hair exactly the same etc. A sort of a blatant middle finger to those who pointed to that last year.

Honestly, I sent her a note wishing her good luck, but also saying that perhaps NOT having a twin would be a good idea.

Her response, in addition to thanking me for wishing her luck: "Oh, we are all twinners! I love matching. I don't care what other people like. The haters would find something else if we weren't dressed alike, so (laughing face)."

I have no idea if she has a crew member with the same pink hair again this year. Honestly, I really hope not. But I would think that the race leadership will take care to authenticate her run however they can.

EDIT - Checked the pre-race athlete and crew mugshots. Her crew member did not dye her hair to match this year.
Last edited by: DieselPete: Jul 5, 23 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's taken the lead at about mile 109!

One of 'us" (a triathlete) might win this thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like she's going to win overall!
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is going to crush her course record from last year, and will be close to the men's record it appears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think this achievement would warrant some kind of announcement from the race officials. Nothing on their Twitter.

For a #1 overall finish and the 2nd fastest time ever, they are oddly quiet.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson) [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
I would think this achievement would warrant some kind of announcement from the race officials. Nothing on their Twitter.

Have they posted anything else on Twitter?

They have a nice video of her finishing on Instagram.

And they have a very nice post on Facebook, hailing her as the champion and having the second fastest time ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Have they posted anything else on Twitter?

They have a nice video of her finishing on Instagram.

And they have a very nice post on Facebook, hailing her as the champion and having the second fastest time ever.

Yes, there had been steady posts throughout the race, hence my surprise. I should have checked other platforms as Twitter is struggling right now...

Good to hear that they have acknowledged her achievement and that they are not silent on it as she really put on a show.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 Badwater 135 (also, Ashley Paulson) [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:

You might be reaching here. Their twitter does not have references to ANY of the individuals participating. Their facebook feed, however, includes her finish (along with others)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:

You might be reaching here. Their twitter does not have references to ANY of the individuals participating. Their facebook feed, however, includes her finish (along with others)

Not sure I would characterize it as a reach. It was just a question. A question that both you and the prior poster have answered satisfactorily.
Quote Reply