Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Tubeless Maintenence
Quote | Reply
Several questions for those riding Tubeless on Road Bikes:

1. How often to do you top off the sealent? I have always followed the rule of every 4-5 months on my gravel and mountain bikes to add another 2 oz, but it seems to me that on road, you would be adding weight which we are all trying to shave off.

2. Do you ever empty/cleanout the tires? If the tires do not need to be replaced, do you ever empty/clean them out and re-mount?

3. What is your preferred sealent for road? I've just been using Stan's for a couple of years (both Gravel and Road). Never had a flat or problem (if it's not broke...)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Maintenence [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the same as you. every 5-6 months I add about 2oz of sealant and I haven't had a problem. Occasionally I have a valve get clogged and I have to take it out to clean it. I change tires probably every 10 months so I'm never that worried about cleaning out tires.. When I do change tires I'll clean and retape the rims. I've been using orange sealant for years without problem.

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably should put in a little every 4-5 months but I'm slack on that to be honest. That said I've had sealant dry up in the tire. Generally I can tell that's the case because the wheel will settle to that spot when spun on the stand. I don't mind pulling my tires off and checking tape and popping some new sealant when that happens.

Ideally you put in an ounce or two in the 4-5 months window and I'd pull them once a year to check rim tape/sealant.

I use Truckerco II sealant which is similar to Stan's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Several questions for those riding Tubeless on Road Bikes:

1. How often to do you top off the sealent? I have always followed the rule of every 4-5 months on my gravel and mountain bikes to add another 2 oz, but it seems to me that on road, you would be adding weight which we are all trying to shave off.
25mm Road I use half that amount - 1 ounce or 30 mil.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Maintenence [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General question: How do you let the air out of the tire to 'top off' the sealant? Do you have to remove the valve core to let the air out? I would think that letting air out of the Presta valve would cause the sealant to plug the valve since the sealant's purpose is to plug leaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Maintenence [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rotate the wheel so that the valve is at the top. Press the valve to release the air.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Maintenence [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Rotate the wheel so that the valve is at the top. Press the valve to release the air.

i have to admit i just do it without thinking too much....but is the rest of the process correct?

..... remove the valve core (while holding the locking nut so the whole valve doesn't unscrew); rotate the valve to the bottom, add the sealant through the core-less valve (i use those little bottles of stans - and top up with half a bottle per tire (1oz) for road and a full bottle per tire (2oz) for gravel), rotate the valve away from the bottom, replace the core, put some air in and rotate wheel a few times.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Maintenence [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I visually inspected the condition of my 10 month old tires by breaking the bead and and found, what looked like, about 2 ounces of sealant in liquid state. So for me there is no need to add or change fluid regularly. The bike is stored in AC garage and the sealant is Orange Seal.
Quote Reply