Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Changing clothes in T2? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always change at least my shorts in T2 for a full IM. I think I change my shirt about 75% of the time. Doesn't take long and is way more comfortable for running.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing clothes in T2? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw what was happening, I thought to myself, That’s got to be a violation of some kind. But to my knowledge he didn’t get a penalty. That was an independent iron distance in 2005 so that may have had some influence over any penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing clothes in T2? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Dan The Man wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Dan The Man wrote:
I think it's a net gain (over a tight fitting aero trisuit) if you think you'll need to stop for a portaloo during the run. It's 30-60s to change from skinsuit to vest/light shorts in T2 but if you have to visit the portaloo on the run it's a real struggle getting a skinsuit down and up again. I did a full change at IM Florida last year because I'd had trouble in prior IMs with multiple portaloo stops, then I subsequently fixed the toilet issue so I've gone back to running in a normal trisuit.

Lionel did a full change (for the same reason) in St George IMWC last year and ran his way to 2nd

If there's a 100% chance of #2 then maybe. Surely taking the skinsuit off takes the same amount of time in transition or in a toilet. I'm not convinced putting on shorts and a singlet is any faster than pulling a skinsuit back up, especially considering you can just messily pull it up and get it sorted out once you're going again.

It depends on the skinsuit, for me I was using an Endura Drag2zero and yes I tried to get it sorted properly while running but believe me this is way more difficult than it sounds, they are so tight and well fitted you can't sort it at full run pace it's impossible. I had to stop 5 times at IMUK last year and 4 times at IM Ireland (then zero stops at Florida!!) so I appreciate my experience is unique but I just wanted to share a consideration for the OP.

Agree.. I raced in a sleeved kit at IM Florida last year and am comfortable running in it... but after I hit the portaloo at the turnaround I don't think I ran past one the rest of the race. That was a problem all to itself but if I'd had shorts on that would have saved me some time and frustration. Pulling the top up and getting the arms right with it soaking wet wasn't easy.

I digress, the guy who won the race was wearing shorts and a running singlet top. Anyway changing into shorts and a shirt wouldn't take very long in a changing tent. I don't think it'd take me anymore than 30 seconds to strip down and pull on some shorts and toss a top on.

Yeah that was me in Florida, when I looked at the splits post race I did lose a minute in T2 to the other and didn't need a toilet stop so you could say it wasn't the right thing to do in this race, hard to say if you have any run benefit from the comfort factor but I have subsequently gone back to running in a Trisuit now!
Quote Reply
Re: Changing clothes in T2? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Underwear?

I always assumed no one wore underwear under a trisuit but in the finishers tent of my last race one of the other lads had a normal pair of boxer shorts on underneath and said it reduced chafing!
Quote Reply
Re: Changing clothes in T2? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might consider a two piece outfit on the bike with a separate top and bibs. I have used this several times on full distance races and it has several advantages like solving the issue you mention (a separate top reduces pressure on shoulders while running and swimming). It is also much much easier and quicker to do a Dixi stop before or during the race. When choosing a good fitting top and bibs (triathlon specific) there is hardly any aero disadvantage to a full suit. I have used Castelli and they have a top which you can connect to the bibs during biking so it works as a full trisuit but then during running you can use it as a two piece with the advantages as mentioned. Also much easier to carry an extra water bottle in the bibs like Max Neumann did in Kona '22
Quote Reply

Prev Next