Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons
Quote | Reply
It seems most people on this forum that post pictures of their bikes are using a base bar with clip-ons. I'm just wondering what the advantage is, if any, of using clip-ons with a base bar? Thanks in advance for your input.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more. "
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [bafmco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More options? To my knowledge---admittedly somewhat limited---there's very few one-piece aero bars on the market. My ride has one but I don't know of many others besides the Easton---Oval Concepts is another one. Any others?
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the Hed bars. They're pretty nice. Descending is - interesting, but otherwise they are pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager, HED, FSA, Profile Design... Most companies have them now, but the tend to cost more. I like a base bar/ clip on for the adjustability, especially over the ones with an intregrated stem. There are probably some very small aero gains that can be made with a one peice though. The FSA base bar with a clip on should still do pretty dam good. Get your posistion dialed in with that set-up and find a one peice that fits it later, if you have the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a base bar and clip on combination and find it useful for adjustment purposes, switching from regular bends to s or r bends, width between pads, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [ETN79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 1 piece old Profile aerobar/basebar combo for a long time, and switched to a Syntace Stratos when I broke the other falling over in my driveway. I bought Hed Fliplite aerobars at the time, and love them. I also just switched to a VisionTech Basebar and put my 110mm stem on instead of the 90mm, and put the single 5mm spacer on top of the stem instead of below. I personally would not buy a fully integrated aerobar setup, as I am still fiddling with my position every once in a while. I don't have so much of a problem with integrated bar/clipon setups but I would NOT get one with an integrated stem. Plus if you are a weight weenie you'll find that the separates are somehow still lighter weight!

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Replying to: Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [ETN79] by triguy42 Post: ...I personally would not buy a fully integrated aerobar setup, as I am still fiddling with my position every once in a while. I don't have so much of a problem with integrated bar/clipon setups but I would NOT get one with an integrated stem. Plus if you are a weight weenie you'll find that the separates are somehow still lighter weight!

That's a good point too, as I become a stronger cyclist my position changes slightly too, as such the adjustability factor comes into play.
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Aero bars vs base bar & clip-ons [bafmco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To make a sweeping generalization:
You buy integrated bars for the cool factor.
You buy a base bar/clipons for the adjustability/price.
Quote Reply