Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here?
Quote | Reply
I am interested to hear your result if youve used the 80/20 Endurance online training plan.

https://www.8020endurance.com/

The testimonial looks great but would like to hear from slowtwitch.

What did you like and not like about it?
Did it make you any faster?
Hit a new PB?

Tell me all the good bad and ugly.

I am coming back after 6 years hiatus from triathlon and looking to break 4:45 half ironman (my PB from years ago) I have zero fitness at this time and using this year to build up for next year.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it for a Oly (not 70.3) but it was great.

I'm gonna guess with no substantive data other than what I've seen in ST that it's one of the most used programs (80/20 in general) on ST in terms of pre-made canned plans.

I used the plan from a book, which required me to type/translate out all the codes manually (with help from their website); in retrospect, it's definitely better to just buy an online version of the plan on Trainingpeaks even though it costs more as it saves you all the hassle, even if it costs more, as you can reuse it forever.

My only n=1 critique is that it's very light on swimming. Like so light that if you're a swim-weak triathlete (many of us), it won't help you whatsoever in improving that. I think the max it had me swim per week was like 3x, 9k, and most weeks were around 7-8k, and this was for the 'advanced' Oly program - my friend did the HIM program and it was similar swim volume. I ended up doing double the swim volume which helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have used several of the plans for many years and became an 80/20 certified coach which gave me access and allowed me to download all their workouts for my athletes that I coach . The plans are well designed and include lots of instructions and resources to help you manage the plan yourself. You can choose between Heart Rate of Power for both running (Stryd) and cycling. If you have a Garmin, I recommend downloading the 80/20 zones to your watch from Garmin Connect (IQ store). The plan folds seamlessly into Training Peaks and allows you to move workouts to better fit your schedule. I've compared their plans (Full and Half) to other plans and I would agree that the volume for swimming is on the slightly lower end than most but just as with any plan you need to make adjustments for your strengths and weaknesses. As far as pre-written plans go they are pretty spot on for the level you choose and just be mindful that as a self-coached athlete, you will need to make some adjustments yourself based on your schedule and needed areas of focus. Each plan has a 4 week macrocycle, 3 build - followed by 1 recovery week. I will say that the half plan starts with the assumption that you have some base level of fitness of an hour running and cycling and swimming workouts of 2500 and slowly build from there. Workouts are well put together and have well thought out descriptors. If you do purchase a program they offer a free strength training program that you can download along with your triathlon plan. It has links to Youtube videos to walk you through the proper form. Best of Luck!
Last edited by: tri3ba: Jun 28, 23 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using / subscribed to 80/20 Endurance training for the past 3 years, started with the book and moved to the online subscription with TrainingPeaks workouts etc. Currently doing the Lv2 70.3 Plan for Barcelona in Oct.

For me the main reasons it works so well, is the lack of injuries (which is important as I get older), the speed progress, the PBs (at 43) and the great position the plans put you in come race day.

The things I love:
  • Integration with TrainingPeaks, which then is automatically integrated with my Garmin, Zwift and my Form goggles - no bits of paper or remember what's on today.
  • Workouts midweek (for Level1 and 2 70.3) are mostly around an 45min-1hr long - perfect for training at lunch or before work
  • Hard workouts are hard, but feel rewarding
  • Swim workouts feel just right for me, a novice swimmer - really feel I'm getting better

The things I don't love so much:
  • Run/Bike Workouts are a bit bland, this is good for outdoors on the road I suppose, but on the indoor trainer, they feel a bit boring.
  • The 8020 Zones don't align to my Garmin, Zwift, Strava zones - nit-picking I know

The main takeaway for me, is your zone setup is critical for getting the results, set them too 'hot' and you will end up blowing up on some of the runs or rides (mistake I made early on), set them up too low and you won't get the anaerobic benefits.

I can't see how I would train any better 'alone' on another plan and already looking forward to Oct 70.3 and the next one in May 2024

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used 80/20 70.3 plans the last 2 years in preparing for my first 70.3 races (i'm now 47). I did 4 70.3 races total (2 each year).

Loved the plans and you should not hesitate to try them.

The first year, I followed them EXACTLY. The second year I modified some weeks tiny bit based on what I needed. (swam a little more)
You can do great either way.

David was very good at answering questions on their forum too.

Definitely buy the on-line version of their plans for the tech integration aspect.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
I just started with the OLY plan and this is something new. Work outs are easier but great.
I do agree with the swim portion it is a little low for espcially for non swimmers.

Any PBs from your previous performances?
Any changes on race day that you feel like better or worse after following the the Olympic plan? or did u feel like your performance improved?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

I am just starting out now and really like how doable the work outs are.

I did see that section where you can be a coach if you go through their class.

Does that mean once you finish their coaching program you become part of their team and have athletes for you to coach?
or theyre your own personal athletes?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im curious to hear about your PBs.

What was it before and after 80/20 program?
Do they give you specific power/pace on race day?

Did you feel like you can push more on race day?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you feel on race day?

If you mind sharing the race and time, i know its an individual result but im just interested to hear.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dboatx wrote:

Thanks

Set a big PB after 8 years of triathlon training with the program. It was however, slightly more volume than I normally do, so that's part of it, but I felt the program delivered good incremental scheduled training and recovery weeks.

I actually outbiked my power target on race day by 20 watts to my amazement and won the overall bike split (which I had never come close to doing in the past - but this was aided by all new aero bike gear as well.)

Felt amazing on race day on that race. 2 ensuing races, I've also felt good but not quite as amazingly strong as the first go-around. Still, my USAT scores have been very similar, 90+ for all the races since I've been doing 80/20, which is nearly 10 points higher than my previous results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dboatx wrote:

Thanks

I’m 43 and no way consider myself anything but average - with a previous best 5km of 20ish min before starting with 80/20. I’m now able to do those with ease weekly and my 5km is now 18:26, my 10km is within a whisker of a sub 40 and my 21km is sub 90mins. I know not mind blowing fast (but I’m happy) As for the bike I’m at 4w/kg @ 275w I’m really happy with the progression since starting..

As to race targets. It’s all done with their custom zones and depending on the race distance and your experience level they provide some idea on where to aim your power / pace. IE for a 70.3 they want you to be looking at higher end of their Z2 in to ZX.

The tapering for my last plan seems ideal. Was a great swim and bike, the run was a bit of a disaster as I didn’t rec the course and it was a mix of sand and gravel for most of it and my legs weren’t ready for that - still managed a 4:30k for the last one thou. But on the day I felt ready. Any more questions just ask!

Regards, Richard
Last edited by: thetrickster: Jul 1, 23 2:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt totally normal on race day.

Two of the races that i did were the same (St. George Utah). I improved by about 55 minutes from year 1 to year 2.

I attribute some of this improvement to following the 80/20 program. But other things helped too --- year 2 was wetsuit legal, whereas year 1 wasn't; in year 1 i had dealt with a stress fracture leading up to the race and couldn't run much in training, whereas year 2 i was totally healthy; an easier run course made a difference too.

Many training programs are similar in their approaches. Lots iof different ways to skin a cat. I really like 80/20 and it seemingly worked well for me. I would use it again and have no hesitation recommending it to others. But it doesnt mean it will get you exactly what you want or even work for you. I think unfortunately there is a lot of (costly) trial and error in this sport and coaching/training programs is one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Just finished month 1 for OLY level 3

I am using this year for next season so ill be training mostly this year
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Used 80/20 Endurance online Training Plan by David Warren and Matt Fitzgerald here? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great to hear!

I just finished month 1 of the plan and looking forward to more
Quote Reply