Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips on wearing an aero helmet
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I have few 70.3s coming and have been wearing my "TT" helmet for some practice rides. I have a MET Codatronca which I love but was wondering if I could wear it more efficiently. If I remember correctly, I have heard from somewhere that you can strap the helmet in a certain way so that tail would more easily touch your should blades, is this true or am I tripping? Obviously I have a short tailed helmet, but should I aim for the same effect?

Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips on wearing an aero helmet [ramisalonen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt you can get a Codatronca to touch your shoulder blades I have one but usually use a Met Drone.
I find a Halo Headband locks your helmet in place though and also helps with sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to close the gap between the tail of the helmet and your back to the extent possible.

This

Not This

Some folks tip the helmet back to close the gap. While not illegal, it does expose the forehead more and reduces the safety of the helmet.

Example:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips on wearing an aero helmet [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is me wearing a Codatronca.
It didn’t test as fast as a Drone though.
Last edited by: m@tty: Jun 19, 23 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tilt it up like 1/2 inch and was able to get my helmet perfectly streamline with my back but I wouldn't say it is a safe option depending on who you are. I currently use the Giro Aerohead and from what I have heard it still generally test the fastest if your not able to do any aero testing.
Honestly it is probably more important to get your head low which would help line up you helmet to your shoulders. With everyone doing the high hands though it kind of makes you sacrifice the low head position from what I have found but if you have good mobility you can easily get your head behind your hands even with just 50-60mm of rise between pads and end of the extension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
You want to close the gap between the tail of the helmet and your back to the extent possible.

This isn't a hard/fast rule. I've seen plenty of tail on back helmets test slower than tail 3+ in above the back. Too many variables in rider shape/positioning/helmet shape to say this.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

This

Not This

Some folks tip the helmet back to close the gap. While not illegal, it does expose the forehead more and reduces the safety of the helmet.

Example:

I'd say that in all of these images the head position is way too high. You want to roll your shoulders inwards and turtle your head to make the smallest frontal profile. You want your eyes to do the looking ahead, not your actual head.

I have a Giro Aerohead, and there are two small slits in the front top of the visor that I use as a reference point for looking through. You can also move the actual helmet back a bit on the head, so the tail more meets your upper back/shoulder area.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tips on wearing an aero helmet [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t disagree. I was looking for similar positions on the web with a difference in tail/back contact. M@tty’s position in his post is much better, with the head turtled.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips on wearing an aero helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

This isn't a hard/fast rule. I've seen plenty of tail on back helmets test slower than tail 3+ in above the back. Too many variables in rider shape/positioning/helmet shape to say this.

So, which of these 2 is theoretically faster and by how much ?

Last edited by: marcag: Jun 22, 23 11:03
Quote Reply