Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tricky stationary trainer recommendation
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, I've been off the forum for a number of years, but some of the older members might remember me. I've retired and moved to AZ, where ambient temps can exceed 120° and regularly exceed 95°. I'm looking for a stationary trainer that I can leave out on my patio, old training bike attached, that won't melt in the heat. The Zwift Hub is exactly what I'm looking for, except using it outdoors anywhere will void the warranty — operating range <77° means I couldn't even leave it on my patio in Portland. Wahoo says their much more expensive unit will probably be OK, but again, a loss of warranty for leaving it outside. I don't care if the readouts are affected (within reason) but having to buy a new unit every year would seriously dent my budget.
So any recommendations for a quality unit that won't blow up if it gets hot?
I suppose one option might be just putting a power meter on the bike, but that's a little pricey as well and i'd still need a trainer with some sort of resistance control. Grateful for any suggestions.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Tricky stationary trainer recommendation [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not getting any help here.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How the manufacturer is going to know that the trainer was used outdoor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many pro cycling teams use Tacx Neo 2T outside for warm-up and cool-down. Primarily because those can operate without being plugged to electricity. Tour de France is coming up, it gets really hot in summer in France, maybe check the broadcast? Alternatively, check the 2022 recordings / highlights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cousin Elwood wrote:
Hi guys, I've been off the forum for a number of years, but some of the older members might remember me. I've retired and moved to AZ, where ambient temps can exceed 120° and regularly exceed 95°. I'm looking for a stationary trainer that I can leave out on my patio, old training bike attached, that won't melt in the heat. The Zwift Hub is exactly what I'm looking for, except using it outdoors anywhere will void the warranty — operating range <77° means I couldn't even leave it on my patio in Portland. Wahoo says their much more expensive unit will probably be OK, but again, a loss of warranty for leaving it outside. I don't care if the readouts are affected (within reason) but having to buy a new unit every year would seriously dent my budget.
So any recommendations for a quality unit that won't blow up if it gets hot?
I suppose one option might be just putting a power meter on the bike, but that's a little pricey as well and i'd still need a trainer with some sort of resistance control. Grateful for any suggestions.

storage: I would not store a smart trainer in hot conditions.

use: you should use forced ventilation to use it outside (and not under the sun).

and always asume that the hot conditions will reduce the life of your device.

EDIT TO ADD: a powermeter + normal trainer will not be more expensive.
Last edited by: ivantriker: Jun 8, 23 2:16
Quote Reply