Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim?
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Anyone else who did the Icebreaker Tri - how short was the swim course? And/or did you think there was a northward moving current that helped move us along that long buoy line?

The swim times were awfully fast. There is NO WAY that I swam a half mile in my speedy-fast swim time.

Otherwise the tri was wonderful - perfect weather, friendly volunteers, decent food. The water had warmed up significantly from the weekend prior - it felt like about 60 degrees. The run course was still drying out from recent rains and had some serious mud pits - people lost their shoes in it - as a trail runner I loved it! I will be doing more TBF events.

Oleander
Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the swim had to be short. I talked to Bill after the race and said you made the swim shorter, and he said yep. They also took the killer hills out of the race. Some comment like they wanted to make the course faster since some real good folks were there.

All I know is I got my butt kicked. Waiting to see the times to see what happened. I have two guesses. First, being 49 is going to make it a long year in my age group. And second, it looks like the ice breaker had a lot of real great folks show up which puts me back in the pack.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some comment like they wanted to make the course faster since some real good folks were there.

Does that not seem to make any sense whatsoever? Make it "faster"? Wouldn't "real good folks" make the course faster without any adjustments? And why ease up on the course...why not make it harder so the "real good folks" would have to work a little harder?

Wow, interesting thought process from the RD's, huh?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some comment like they wanted to make the course faster since some real good folks were there.

Does that not seem to make any sense whatsoever? Make it "faster"? Wouldn't "real good folks" make the course faster without any adjustments? And why ease up on the course...why not make it harder so the "real good folks" would have to work a little harder?

Wow, interesting thought process from the RD's, huh?

The "dumbing down" of triathlon. Ridiculous.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]All I know is I got my butt kicked. Waiting to see the times to see what happened. I have two guesses. First, being 49 is going to make it a long year in my age group. And second, it looks like the ice breaker had a lot of real great folks show up which puts me back in the pack. [/reply]

The women's 30-34 and 35-39 divisions were also very competitive. Those chicks lapped me on the bike like I was standing still.
Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Some comment like they wanted to make the course faster since some real good folks were there.
[/reply]
I would bet good money the run course is not the same as last year, environmentally speaking. Much rain and much runoff on those steep sections likely mean they were cluttered. Merely a guess.[/reply]

Let's wait to hear back from the race director before jumping to conclusions about the actual distances. (I have an email out to him.)

I don't know whether the RUN course was changed, since this was my first Icebreaker. It definitely included a lot of short steep hills and it definitely wasn't short. In fact, given my times and those of my teammates I would not be surprised if the run was slightly long.

Oleander
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would venture to say you're correct, Martin regarding changes necessary due to our weather lately---I've never done this race so I couldn't comment one way or another along those lines. The piquing of my interest comes from the comment I quoted that seemed to come from race management...if it was changed due to Mother Nature, say that. Changing the course "to make it faster....", well, to paraphrase Cathy, is dumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course 3 weeks ago for the du run was the normal up and down the hills. No issues with it.

So, not sure why they changed it, but they sure did.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He changed the run last year too (from the prior year) and added a big single-track descent. If the weather has been bad, then that maybe got taken out.

Changes due to weather is one thing, but if he really said it was changed to make it faster, well, my comment stands.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the run was about normal distance, but let me assure you, they took out the killers hills since I Have done these races at this location for years.

Do the granite bay, they will have the hills back in.

Seems like they had lots of great folks. I know Mark was saying some names and their backgrounds.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Campbell
IronMan finisher in 12:06 with 6:19 hours a week average of training.
Powercranks guinea pig
Rotor Cranks
Yaqui DE Frame
Mad Cow Race team member
h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Dave, you can probably add to that list "longest sig line on ST"...

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings Triathletes!

Thanks for racing with us at the ICE Breaker Triathlon. The swim course ended up being a bit short - probably .3875 of a mile, due to a buoy that had drifted and miscommunication amongst our water safety team the morning of the race.

The State Parks Department banned some of the 'hills' we have used in the past, due to concerns about erosion. We design our courses with safety in mind first, and then with an effort to make them scenic, fun and challenging.

Competition and desire makes the courses faster, there is no reason for me to shorten anything to make the race faster.

See you at Rancho Seco - thanks for your support of TBF Racing.

Bill Driskill

Founder Total Body Fitness, 5-time Canada IRONMAN Finisher, 2-time Worlds Toughest Triathlon Finisher (Tahoe version), Race Director TBF Racing
Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy, I did not hear this first hand. So, I guess it does matter why it changed.

Bill and Mark only change this for the right reasons. Will never second guess them.

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [billdd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill, are you saying the park will not let you use any of the big hills anymore then? Not saying I would miss them, but it is what gave the folsom location its personality.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cathy, I did not hear this first hand. So, I guess it does matter why it changed.

Bill and Mark only change this for the right reasons. Will never second guess them.

Dave

You didn't hear it first hand, though you posted the following originally? Which is it?

Yes, the swim had to be short. I talked to Bill after the race and said you made the swim shorter, and he said yep. They also took the killer hills out of the race. Some comment like they wanted to make the course faster since some real good folks were there.

Just curious. Bill puts on great races, so throwing comments out like this isn't cool.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Icebreaker Triathlon - how short was the swim? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not going to make an issue out of nothing. Bill and Mark change the race courses for the reasons he posted. If one of them is to make it faster, I see nothing wrong with that. The racers fun, safety, etc. is, and has always been their first priority. Guess in the future will be more careful how some folks take things on ST. I never would have seen the change as negative, even if that was not the reason, which clearly it was not, my mistake, sorry, and will leave it at that.

TBF is, and has been the best. I do not help at, and do their races for nothing.

Dave

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]