Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First pursuit race
Quote | Reply
First pursuit race for me was today. 3000m. (sea level, outdoors)

fourth ever ride at the velodrome.
Last edited by: gtingley: Apr 25, 06 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what exactly is a pursuit race?
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://www.uci.ch/...sh/track/what_is.htm

Endurance Races

• Individual Pursuit
    • 4000m for men
    • 3000m for women
    Only two riders contest the pursuit, each starts at a point marked half way along the opposing straights of the track. From the start gun to the finish, the purpose of the race is to catch the other rider. If a rider catches his or her rival before the designated race distance, the race ends immediately. Otherwise the pursuit is decided by the rider who completes the distance in the shorter time. The winner passes through progressive rounds in a knock-out format contest.
    Tactics in pursuit racing revolve around pacing. To start fast, or to finish fast? The best riders keep an even pace throughout. Smooth pedalling style and intense concentration are as important in this sport as the capacity to endure pain. The best times for the men's four kilometre pursuit are beneath four minutes, thirty seconds. Among the women, any time beneath three minutes, forty seconds for the three kilometres is very good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only 11 s off your target, considering there is SO MUCH to learn on the track (the details of starts, pacing, gear selection etc.)

awesome...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

Really need to practice ... I see that now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also see we keep the same hours...

lol...

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great that you raced at the level that allowed your fans to attend!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe next time I'll think a little about what a "pursuit" is and put 2 and 2 together.
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [MaxVeeOhToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those things are vicious and should be shot dead immediately.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your excellent post. I value your opinion and contribution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thought you would.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First pursuit race for me was today. 3000m. (sea level, outdoors) Individual Pursuit
  • 4000m for men
  • 3000m for women
Did you ride in the women's division?
Last edited by: caleb: Apr 24, 06 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary,

So what did you learn ? I'll be experiencing the same after my Tri season wraps up later in the year and I'll be doing the 3km pursuit at the world masters !!!! Any gems of wisdom you can pass on ?

Regards,

Bryce.
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, masters are 3000m, elite is 4000m, for men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like it should be so simple, huh? Pursuit is tricky (and hard).

I LOVE track. Was this in San Diego (the rain comment threw me). Obviously not the Home Depot/ADP center (drool).

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, San Diego
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Gary,

Just a quick note; the Polar Power unit won't work on a fixed gear, if that was what you meant by saying you planned to use a 725 for racing...

(you probably already knew this, so... blah, blah...)

Good job for your first go!

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pumel them with Tim bits. !!! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, keep your eye on the sub 5 minute 4km, we need a 6th for Master's Natz.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You doing elites this year? Trying for a qualifier? Sub 5 is within range, natz is 6 mos out still.
Quote Reply
Re: First pursuit race, oh man, I am so green [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant the 725 as a hr/cadence/speed meter.

Looking at the Ergomo Pro, it is compatible with DA track Octalink, however I am not sure how well it would work on the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First pursuit race for me was today. 3000m. (sea level, outdoors)

• the track closed for an hour, messing my nutrition plan
Why do you need a nutrition plan for 3000m on a bike? Snickers and a beer ought to do it.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:06 ain't bad for a first time 3000m (actually isn't bad for a 2nd or 3rd time either). Gearing?

That black line can be tricky, but if you focus 10-12m in front of you, that helped me alot.

Warm-up is pretty damn important too, so having that get messed up can have a pretty big impact. Better practice those starts, do it enough and you will find what pedal to have forward, and how long to stand while accelerating. I would stand for the first 150m, sitting down on the back straight just before the third turn (I learned it from a world pursuit champion who used to practice at the track on wednesdays, so I just did it and didn't argue). I also started with the right pedal forward, but had to focus very hard on keeping the bike from going up the track that little bit with that first pedal stroke. Schedule your laps and know your splits without having to do the math in your head. I used to have them written down on my stem. I still have my workouts from way back then (80's) if you want some ideas, let me know. You should eat this shit up! Time on the track = less energy spend controlling the bike = more energy into going faster.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot the part about having fun, enjoying the comradery and being heathly......
Quote Reply