Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bloody swimming...
Quote | Reply
I'm always trying to improve my kick, but I have a problem in that I don't seem to be able to feel what my legs/knees are actually doing when in the water.

My legs feel completely locked out straight, but video shows there is still a little more knee bend than I would like. But as I can't actually feel this I'm struggling to improve it.

I wondered if there is any kind of training aid that you can put around the knee to stop the bloody things moving? I've been unable to find anything. Or any ideas on ways to fix this once and for all?
Quote Reply
Re: Bloody swimming... [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this helps but I always picture myself kicking in a tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legs are a whip. Relax your toes and ankles. A little knee bend is fine as long as it's driven by your quad/hamstring push/pull. I know I'm kicking well when I can feel the water between my toes.

Kicking starts at about 25 seconds in:

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: May 22, 23 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to wear fins more often when you swim. Those will sort of force your knees to get into the slightly flexed and loose position you need to be in to get the proper whipping motion described above. The problem may be that since you haven't been a lifelong swimmer, you haven't built that flexibility in the hips and ankles that lifelong swimmers have. Fins will help stretch those ligaments in your ankles and hips.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloody swimming... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Try to wear fins more often when you swim. Those will sort of force your knees to get into the slightly flexed and loose position you need to be in to get the proper whipping motion described above. The problem may be that since you haven't been a lifelong swimmer, you haven't built that flexibility in the hips and ankles that lifelong swimmers have. Fins will help stretch those ligaments in your ankles and hips.

I have more ankle flexibility than anyone needs. I do have weak glutes and tight hip flexors though, which I'm sure don't help.

This is the video I took today in my tiny pool, was just trying to get a look at my kick https://vimeo.com/829112848?share=copy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're kicking from your knee, not your hips. think about moving your knees 6 inches, ankles 12, toes 18". When you're done kicking your hip flexors should be screaming. Incidentally, your head position is too high, so that puts your whole line out of whack. I like that you're using a snorkel, but you should be looking about 6-12" in front of you, not at the other end. Then put your hands at your sides, and try kicking with your back flush to the surface of the water. If you can't figure out the position, try hooking your toes on the gutter and just float around, playing with head position until you find a neutral line at the surface,.

Quote Reply
Re: Bloody swimming... [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Incidentally, your head position is too high, so that puts your whole line out of whack. I like that you're using a snorkel, but you should be looking about 6-12" in front of you, not at the other end. .

I normally swim with my head lower, but I've been told it is too low - and I often get water in the top of the snorkel because of it. Can't win hey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try thinking about turtling it in - give yourself a double chin to retract it into line. Playing with position while floating on the wall is a great way to feel what's going on.

Quote Reply