Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Knee/Hamstring Pain
Quote | Reply
Hey Folks —

I’ve been having some strange pain in the back of my knee/hamstring for the past couple of weeks that I can’t figure out. Wondering if folks here have experienced anything similar.

It’s hard to pinpoint where the pain comes from exactly but it feel liked it’s in the middle to back of my knee going into my hamstring/shins. Generally it’s just an ache, but when it gets angry (after prolonged running) it can feel like a stabbing pain. After running and sitting for long periods the pain is brought on my extending
my knee. There is no area of my leg that is sensitive when applying pressing force, but after runs my knee area has a weakness sensation.

Swimming/cycling don’t bother it fortunately.

At this point, I’ve seen a psychical therapist and have an apt with a ortho on Tuesday, who I’m pretty sure is just going to suggesting imaging.

Therapist did all protocol tests for tears but all came back negative and without any pain at all. They concluded it was probably IT band syndrome and prescribed all the things one prescribes for that. Originally they thought runners knee but none of those physical tests supported that.

I took a week off running and was doing the same exercises, but the pain lingered. When I got back to running I could run without pain for about 30 min but could feel the ache start to build at the 30 min mark. If I stop when I feel the ache, there is no pain after running, but I often have the sensation that my knee is weak as mentioned above. If I continue on it gets angry.

Obviously seeking professional help but was curious if anyone experienced something like this. Symptoms don’t quite seem to match anything I’ve read about.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Knee/Hamstring Pain [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should probably seek out a second opinion if your therapist thinks your IT band attaches to the back of your knee. It most certainly does not. If you had IT band pain it would be on the outside of the knee.

Often times knee pain originates from elsewhere. IT band pain in the knee typically originates because of tightness in the TFL and glutes and generally weak hips. You seem to have issues where the hamstring tendon is inserting in the back of the knee, which could be hamstring tendonitis. The gastoc muscles (those big calf muscles) also attach to the back of the knee. If I were you, I'd be focusing on strengthening and stretching your hamstrings and calves.

Imaging isn't a bad idea either...always helps to see what's going on under the skin.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Knee/Hamstring Pain [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
You should probably seek out a second opinion if your therapist thinks your IT band attaches to the back of your knee. It most certainly does not. If you had IT band pain it would be on the outside of the knee.

Often times knee pain originates from elsewhere. IT band pain in the knee typically originates because of tightness in the TFL and glutes and generally weak hips. You seem to have issues where the hamstring tendon is inserting in the back of the knee, which could be hamstring tendonitis. The gastoc muscles (those big calf muscles) also attach to the back of the knee. If I were you, I'd be focusing on strengthening and stretching your hamstrings and calves.

Imaging isn't a bad idea either...always helps to see what's going on under the skin.

I have the same opinion.

Except for a directly trauma most of knee pain/issues are coming from above (hamstrings) or below (ankle).

Some Google search for "knee pain rehab exercises" may do help while you arrange an appointment with another therapist/doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggled with the same thing last year. For me it felt like I was almost hyper-extending my knee (resulting in pain in the backside of my knee) when I was kicking. My solution was to take a couple of weeks off in the pool and now I use a pull buoy while swimming religiously so I don't need to kick. I kick very little as it is in most of my triathlons as they are all wetsuit legal swims anyway. Knock on wood I haven't had a single issue in the past year with it.

Good luck and like they said I'd get a second opinion from another professional!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Knee/Hamstring Pain [Fubar44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Really appreciate the input. Agree on seeking a second opinion. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of it being IT band -- though the diagnosis may be partially my fault as in the beginning, it was hard for me to pinpoint where I felt the pain coming from. I have not experienced anything like this sensation before in 15+ years of running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can, seek out a PT who knows runners, like really well. As in, 80-90% of their case load is runners. Stay away from Dr Google, you'll go down a rabbit hole that often leads to longer recovery. In addition, most of these things don't need imaging. A PT who knows runners will know when referral to imaging or an ortho consult is needed...most of the time..neither is needed.

Good Luck

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a doctor or a therapist... I've just had a ton of injuries of the last 30 years...

What I've found is that where I'm having the pain isn't necessarily the problem - but the result of something else being weak or out of line.

I'd leave the injury area alone and first start on working the glute medius and vastus muscles. For me these two muscle groups have always been weak.

My favorites for the vastus muscles are wall sits and the highly debated leg extensions. When I do the leg extensions I use very light weight and do high reps to get the blood flowing to the area. I usually go by time... 60 seconds at a time. I also dont hyper extend the knee. I use a very short range of motion - not coming all the way down or going all the way up.

The glute medius I put a band right above my knees and side step until my glutes are on fire.

Gall
Quote Reply